Seascapes

Phil Reeder

Several people have asked how I make my seas.I evolved this method many years ago ,in the 70`s,and after trying many other ways of doing seascapes ,none of which worked as well as this.

I will let the pics do the talking

SL272213.jpg

Cling-film is fixed to the base using a mixture if PVA & CA

SL272214.jpg

The pre-painted hull is attached using the same mixture

SL272215.jpg

Cling-film is wrapped round the model

SL272217.jpg

PVA glue is using to help the Daz modelling clay adhere to the base

SL272216.jpg

Daz is added round the hull,and to form the wash from the ship

SL272218.jpg

All the Daz is finished,some of which is representing the ocean swell

SL272221.jpg

The whole lot is covered in Fine-Surface Polyfilla,the wavelet effect is made by Dappling an old floor-cloth on it

SL272222.jpg

You can see now ,why I use cling-film!!

SL272225.jpg

I`ve started to paint the sea with my own mix of acrylic paint,I dry-brush in the area of the wake

SL272226.jpg

The blue paint is dry,and ready for the white foam.

SL272227.jpg

I use a small tub of masonry paint to simulate the white foam

SL272231.jpg

When all is dry,the cling-film is carefully removed,and I can get on with building the model

hope this has given you some ideas

Cheers Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

Now that's a worthwhile tip. Thanks for posting, Phil, I'll certainly give it a go when I get round to building a ship.

Last time I did a seascape, it was an offcut of polystyrene ceiling tile, painted blue, drybrushed white, with the old Matchbox Kelly pressed into it! I was still at school then...

Obi-Jiff :fish:

• 5 months later...
SL272231.jpg

When all is dry,the cling-film is carefully removed,and I can get on with building the model

Phil, how do you 'carefully remove' the cling film when it's stuck below the hull of the ship? Do you just use a sharp knife & cut around the top of the seascape?? Or is it like that old trick of pulling the tablecloth away & leaving all the cups & stuff on the table??!! ;)

Seriously, I'm a little confused as how you actually remove it..... :unsure:

Keef

Hi,the Cling-film isn`t stuck to the hull,just held with masking tape,when all is painted etc,the tape is removed,and the cling-film is carefully removed with a very sharp knife,ie scapel,at the waterline.

Hope this has cleared up the confusion.

Cheers ,Phil

Hi,the Cling-film isn`t stuck to the hull,just held with masking tape,when all is painted etc,the tape is removed,and the cling-film is carefully removed with a very sharp knife,ie scapel,at the waterline.

Hope this has cleared up the confusion.

Cheers ,Phil

Certainly has, thanks Phil!

K

If I understand your technique right, you use the cling film simply as a barrier between the clay/paint/polyfilla and the hull so you can get a perfect fit with no gaps between the hull and the "sea"? If so, I suppose you could leave the hull unpainted and simply slot the model in after finishing with photoetch etc?

Jens

If I understand your technique right, you use the cling film simply as a barrier between the clay/paint/polyfilla and the hull so you can get a perfect fit with no gaps between the hull and the "sea"? If so, I suppose you could leave the hull unpainted and simply slot the model in after finishing with photoetch etc?

Jens

I tried it that way ,and it doesn`t work very well.If you put the unpainted hull in the seascape,then remove for painting etc,the Das and polyfilla shrinks,so you have a job putting it back.Well ,thats what I found.

Phil

Maybe I'm still missing something, but I was assuming that you removed the hull after the seascape has hardened in order to cut the clingfilm. So you're cutting the clingfilm with the hull in situ?

Jens

Hi Jens ,

Once the Hull is in the sea,it stays there.I remove the cling-file.which is only wrapped round the hull,at the waterline with a sharp knife.

I think I`d better take some more photos the next time I do a sea,to make things clearer.

Cheers,Phil

• 7 years later...