Keef's Build - Yak 25 K/S

Greetings Komrads,

As Komrad Mitchem has gone with the glorious Yak 28, I have decided to build its close relative the Yak 25. Unfortunately I don't have the kit yet! I'm actually going to pre-order one from Hannants for Scale Model World, & as I won't be able to start it until after the show due to the number of things I heed to finish for Telford, then that doesn't really matter!

This is the beast in question;

AMU72165.jpg

(pic from internet)

Onwards & upwards!!

Keefski

(PS should Hannants have sold out of these by SMW I'll probably do a different Yak 28!)

Edited by keefr22

Comrade Keefski,

Glad to see you've been bitten by the Yak-bug !

I'm almost tempted to buy you one out of my own pocket before Telford - It could soothe my furrowed brow knowing that there's someone else out there struggling with an A-Model Yak (just across the Loughor). :winkgrin:

Looking forward to following your progress

mike

I'm almost tempted to buy you one out of my own pocket before Telford - It could soothe my furrowed brow knowing that there's someone else out there struggling with an A-Model Yak (just across the Loughor). :winkgrin:

Please carry on Mike, I'm not averse to charity!! :D

Are you going to Telford? If so, please come & see the loonies on the IPMS West Glamorgan stand - we're not far across the Loughor either!

Keefski

• 1 month later...

Finally, after finishing another group build & a BF109 for my local clubs comp., Komrad Keefski is lagging well behind but, because of that, in the best traditions of the motherland, it just makes me feel more empowered to catch up with all the other glorious groupbuilders....or something like that!!

Anyway, I finally made a start yesterday - I opened the box & took a picture of the parts!!!

Here they are. Mmmmm. Exciting. Yes??!!

066.jpg

070.jpg

I then commenced construction by cutting out the cockpit components (notice all the c word's? just like CCCP. Ha!) But due to rumours of there being prying western imperialist spies lurking about, I am afraid pictures of that procedure must remain secret(actually, my camera batteries went flat so I couldn't take any. Not that they would have made rivetting viewing in any case! :P )

And now my friendskis a question. Do any of you know what colour Komrad Yakovlev would have instructed his glorious workforce to paint the inside of his shiny silver fighter jet? The favourite idea seems to be light grey, but others seem to go for the more restful turquoise green (blue?) colour so favoured by lesser design bureaus such as Mikoyan??!!

Anyone know?

Thankski

Onward & upward....

KK

Finally, after finishing another group build & a BF109 for my local clubs comp., Komrad Keefski is lagging well behind but, because of that, in the best traditions of the motherland, it just makes me feel more empowered to catch up with all the other glorious groupbuilders....or something like that!!

Anyway, I finally made a start yesterday - I opened the box & took a picture of the parts!!!

Here they are. Mmmmm. Exciting. Yes??!!

066.jpg

070.jpg

I then commenced construction by cutting out the cockpit components (notice all the c word's? just like CCCP. Ha!) But due to rumours of there being prying western imperialist spies lurking about, I am afraid pictures of that procedure must remain secret(actually, my camera batteries went flat so I couldn't take any. Not that they would have made rivetting viewing in any case! :P )

And now my friendskis a question. Do any of you know what colour Komrad Yakovlev would have instructed his glorious workforce to paint the inside of his shiny silver fighter jet? The favourite idea seems to be light grey, but others seem to go for the more restful turquoise green (blue?) colour so favoured by lesser design bureaus such as Mikoyan??!!

Anyone know?

Thankski

Onward & upward....

KK

Way-hey !!!

добро пожаловать вы лунатик (Tried translating "welcome you lunatic" from English into Russian using babel, but.......if you cut and paste the Russian back into English.....you get "good to grant you are the sleep-walker", so I won't be trying that again !)

Glad to see you've finally lifted the lid off the box. Can't tell you how happy I am to see your sprues are as thick as the brows of my Russian girl-friend. Time to crack open the old Vodka and whip out the chain-saw, I say - this is going to be fun !

(...and you got missiles, you lucky swine ! :hobbyhorse: )

cheerski

mikoyan

Way-hey !!!

добро пожаловать вы лунатик (Tried translating "welcome you lunatic" from English into Russian using babel, but.......if you cut and paste the Russian back into English.....you get "good to grant you are the sleep-walker", so I won't be trying that again !)

Glad to see you've finally lifted the lid off the box. Can't tell you how happy I am to see your sprues are as thick as the brows of my Russian girl-friend. Time to crack open the old Vodka and whip out the chain-saw, I say - this is going to be fun !

(...and you got missiles, you lucky swine ! :hobbyhorse: )

cheerski

mikoyan

Mikoyan - I likeski it!!

My main reason for choosing this one was the cool missiles that came with it. At least they look easy to build....!!

And do you not think that "good to grant you are the sleep-walker" might not be the latest coded message from Moskva HQ ?? It may be the latest instructions on how to glue vacform transparencies together, no ??

I shall try to make all best endeavours to ensure more progress shall be made tomorrow, Komrad Mikoyan!

KK

Very nice. I like the Russian stuff of the Cold War period and that one looks pretty nice. Fair moldings from where I sit.

Greets Komrad peoples! Here I am with my first proper update thingummy!

I started by spending an hour or so cleaning up a nice pair of Heritage white metal KK seats, only to find that there was no way they would fit in the kit's pit! So, having no other fall back plan I decided I'd have to detail the kits seats, which from the box look like this;

002.jpg

So, armed with some Tamiya epoxy putty (really sticky stuff!), lead foil, wire, blind faith & ignorance (oh, & the drawings Mikoyan Mitchem posted in his thread) I set to work - & have ended up with this (please excuse the horrendous appearence that super macro gives them, they're only 1cm. high & look much better to the naked eye (even when I'm wearing my new reading specs!))

018.jpg

023.jpg

029.jpg

I also added some random reheat etched panels to the side cosoles & pilots & g.i.b. panels;

004-1.jpg

007.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

And they're now all painted, but I won't bother to post pics as they aren't that exciting!

That's all folkskis

KK

PS sorry Andy, only just saw your your question - the plastic looks pretty good quality. The engraving is fine & generally pretty well done. There are some strengthening sections moulded on the front fuselage side that had very ragged edges, so I've just spent 20 minutes or so cleaning them up, but nothing onerous. I still can't lose the feeling though that it's lulling me into a false sense of security!

I started by spending an hour or so cleaning up a nice pair of Heritage white metal KK seats, only to find that there was no way they would fit in the kit's pit! So, having no other fall back plan I decided I'd have to detail the kits seats, which from the box look like this;

So, armed with some Tamiya epoxy putty (really sticky stuff!), lead foil, wire, blind faith & ignorance (oh, & the drawings Mikoyan Mitchem posted in his thread) I set to work - & have ended up with this (please excuse the horrendous appearence that super macro gives them, they're only 1cm. high & look much better to the naked eye (even when I'm wearing my new reading specs!))

I also added some random reheat etched panels to the side cosoles & pilots & g.i.b. panels;

And they're now all painted, but I won't bother to post pics as they aren't that exciting!

They look great! Unless you are going to spotlight the thing under a magnifier next year at Telford, what you have there will look great in Gods Own Scale.

It's inspiring, really.

Just what are the random panel bits you've used there? What would a guy have to buy over here in the US, to get them?

They look great! Unless you are going to spotlight the thing under a magnifier next year at Telford, what you have there will look great in Gods Own Scale.

It's inspiring, really.

Just what are the random panel bits you've used there? What would a guy have to buy over here in the US, to get them?

Thanks David, much appreciated!

The panel bits are from generic sets done by a UK firm called Reheat. Unfortunately, the owner is winding up his business. He was at the Nats in Telford this year, but his stock levels are now getting very low. When I talked to him a couple of years back he was hoping that someone was going to take over the business, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have happened. I really hope someone does take on the range & produces them again, as they are great for dressing up 1/72 'pits, & I'm now running very low on the more useful sets!

Keef

Id like to get some generics, too. :(

Im big on imagineering in this scale. In 1/48 and larger scale fidelity is possible and even desirable. But in 1/72, it seems an exercise in futility 90% of the time. Ive seen the Reheat line often and it is extensive. It would be a shame to see it go.

Looking good Keefski!, as mentioned I wouldn't worry a lot about how they look in macro, even the best stuff loses its magic at this magnification!!

Yep I've also got several generic sets of the old Reheat stuff, damn shame if it's going to disappear, I've used it a lot in the past but tend now to use the Eduard panels as it saves on all the fiddly painting...( getting old and lazy!! :clif: ),

Keep up the good work ...at this rate it should be finished for Xmas :whistle: !!...

Egad ! Looks like we have a professional in our midst ! (Wonder what the proletariat will have to say about this ?)

If the seats and cockpit are anything to go by, it looks like you have everything under control.

Nice one Keef.

mikoyan

Egad ! Looks like we have a professional in our midst ! (Wonder what the proletariat will have to say about this ?)

Professional bodger maybe! Don't think the proletariat will be too bothered to be honest!

Cheers Laurent & Mikoyan, your comments are much appreciated!

KK

• 1 month later...
How you doing Keef old sport?

hope that lurgy is going away!

Hello Komrad Boss,

Yes thanks, over the worst of the lurgy now. Apologies for no updates, just haven't got my ar*e in gear to upload the pics to photobucket (I don't know if it's just my PC, but it takes forever & a day to just upload a few pics recently?) Anyway, I'll try to get a big update done tomorrow (shall leave the pics uploading tonight when watching the footie!)

I've been cracking on with the build whenever I can, & yesterday got the second wing/engine sub assembly & the horizontal stab fitted, so I now have a completed airframe, & I've also started the first round of filling. There's quite a bit of green stuff plastered over it at the moment, so I'm going to let it set up properly & hopefully start sanding down tomorrow. After that it's just adding the canopy & a few other minor bits & bobs & she'll be ready for priming! So fingers crossed & we should meet the deadline!!

Onwards & upwards

Komrade Keefski

Good man Keefski

look forward to seeing the piccies! :D

Not as much as me Chairman W.

Not as much as me .......

(I'm sure Keef is struggling to find an industrial strength camera 'cos he's building my Yak's ugly cousin !)

m

(I'm sure Keef is struggling to find an industrial strength camera 'cos he's building my Yak's ugly cousin !)

m

Niet Komrad, I think I have chosen the prettier of the girls - not the one with the witches pointed nose...!!!

Just about to upload the piccies as I'm off to bedski - they can have all night to upload then!

Good nightski Komrades

KK