My Flanker

• 2 weeks later...

Dead quick update to prove she is not consigned to the scrap heap just yet!

Weathering almost finished missiles and rockets on, gear doors on, pants still on..........erm

Left to do, Airbrake internals, canopy finishing, further topside weathering, bang seat final satin coat and thats about it really!

DSC_5293.jpg

DSC_5294.jpg

DSC_5295.jpg

DSC_5296.jpg

DSC_5298.jpg

Nearly there! TTFN

Another update.

Finally finished weathering and moved on to final construction. Included in this was the mud / snow guard which turned out to be a right royal PITA.

The problem is with the support braces, basically when the suspension moves, they are just about clipped in to their respective stays on the u/c leg and in the guard itself. In essence each time the model is moved, they come apart, and fat fingers freddy here has a job putting em back.

After a little thought I decided what was needed was a cross brace and a method of making the tiny hooks on the guard end stay firmly on the bars of the guard stays. Not posessing a small enough drill, and running out of time, I fitted a tiny cross brace and a couple of pieces of srip styrene enough to close the hook end to make effectively an eyelet. Perfect!

Hers the finished product and I think youll agree the cross brace is hardly noticeable.

DSC_5299.jpg

DSC_5300.jpg

Next onto the seat which is kit parts all the way

DSC_5301.jpg.

The whole bird was then sprayed all over with Citadel Purity seal for a semi matt look, Guess what? the bloody decals started to lift despite being underneath two coats of Klear.. WTF is going on with this build!?

Anyhow, I added the canopy details, Jack and canopy itself and now declare the BIG Flanker finished!!!!

I really didn't do justice to this big kit, so much so It turned round and kicked me fairly and squarely in the nads!

This beauty really deserves a lot of time taking over it to super detail areas such as the wheelbays, undercarriage and perhaps a large portion of Zacto weaponry.

On that note, I know the loadout is far from accurate but research in this area is limited.

Things I would do differently? take time to fade the paintwork a lot more, Possibly avoid the salt weathering to create the bare patches, take more time over protecting the ,metallics. Convert to 1/72!

Thanks to all for watching and encouraging me when the paint got crappy and especially SWMBO for tolerating this beast on the dining room table over the past 5 months Now onto my 1:1 Ducati!