Revell Hawker Hurricane Mk 1

I've opened the lid on this box quite a few times, looked at the contents, put the lid back on and put it back in the loft, fed up waiting for a new "you beaut" kit to be released I thought I would give it a go.

spacer.png

The cockpit is pretty bad, but I had bought an MDC cockpit and wheel well kit at Telford one year, so that was sorted then, wrong, when I started to put the cockpit together I noticed the fatal flaw with the MDC Cockpit, 2 left hand sides and no right, as MDC do not make the cockpit any more I decided to tart up the kit cockpit. It's more of a challenge that way anyway.

spacer.png

The kit cockpit has a floor and sides whereas the real thing is a wee bit more open, so I cut it up a bit, added some plastic rod, Waldron placards, MDC Sutton harness, new seat and Instrument panel from an old Eduard detail set and we are in business (it's a bodge but I'm happy with it).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos
  • Like 2

very nice.

i take it that this is the same kit that RoG have re-released in their 'classics' range?

Yes one and the same, and with Grey Matter figures re releasing a lot of the Warbirds resin bits it should do well as the basic (very) kit is accurate.

Cheers

Den

Blimmin' nuisance about that sidewall. I'd contact MDC anyway, just to see if there's anything they can do. :)

Keep up the good work though ;)

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words, I did consider contacting MDC but in the end typically British I didn't want to make a fuss.

It's my own fault, I have this incredible lack of curiosity, I buy models and detail kits and just bung them in the loft, I don't even look in the box, if I had I might have noticed the mistake. Come to think of it I could have anything up in the loft, boxes of wood shavings for all I know !

Cheers

Den

Hi Mark, definately a brave one ! buying a new one.

Well time for the Bare Metal Foil scriber and Dymo tape, in real life the Hurricane has an amazing amount of raised rivet detail, I'm astonished that it could fly so well, however the raised panel lines it did not have (OK some overlapped) so they have to go.

To make it easier where possible I trace the raised panel lines with my scriber and then sand down, where my plans show that they are accurate that is. I have bought the Airwaves curved scribing templates to help me out as it is a bit hit and miss cutting Dymo tape to get the right curves.

Here's a before and after shot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Notice where I have gone wrong with the scriber and have filled the line with CA.

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 1

Yes you are perfectly correct early Hawker Hurricanes had fabric covered wngs but work on a metal skinned wing was started once full scale Mk 1 production was underway, the metal skinned wing was test flown in April 1939, later in the same year they reached the production line with many early machines having them retro fitted.

You have reminded me that I must order a set of early wings for the next build.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

Forgot to mention that I used a Hasagawa Spitfire seat for the cockpit, this meant that I had to make a new rear bulkhead from plastic card. The seat is a mite overscale but it certainly looks better than the alternative.

I also decided that the engine had to go, as this has the exhausts moulded into the cylinder head I would therefore have to replace them, they are pretty poor anyway. So a spare pair of Hasagawa Spitfire exhausts were bodged up and the holes in the fuselage blanked off to allow me to fit the exhausts at a later stage in the build.

Bodged up Hasagawa Spitfire exhausts.

spacer.png

The kit undercarriage wheels are not the best so some Grey Matter Figures items have been purchased.

spacer.png

I managed to snap one of the undercarriage legs while sanding off the seams, had to drill, pin and glue it back together.

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 2

Hi Kev,

Yes the Grey matter parts are great, I couldn't resist some of the parts so I have been stocking up, mainly Hurricane stuff. I missed them when Warbirds were marketing them. Here's the haul so far plus the parts that I'm using on this build.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 1

Moving swiftly on, and this is swift by my standards, even though I have been distracted by other projects I'm now back on my modelling kick.

Cockpit completed and glued in, ready now to close the fuselage halves, when that is I have finished a gun sight, nothing fancy just one from a Hasagawa Spitfire, wish they made resin ones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Other bits and pieces have been recieving attention, the prop and spinner I am using are the kit ones, as I'm not clever enough to make my own and I haven't seen an AM one. The blades have nice big dimples in the back of each blade, this has been filled with CA and sanded down and the whole thing painted with H85.

spacer.png

And the tailwheel from Grey Matter has been painted, polished aluminium and H67.

spacer.png

This lump of plastic is the kit forward air scoop (carb ?), not a difficult job to make it look better, will fill in the top with CA, sand it down and drill out the front.

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With BM off line the Hurricane has been recieving some TLC, the fuselage has been closed, wings glued together, all seams sanded, and the wings and fuselage mated.

The seams were not too bad at all, filled with CA and where necessary the odd piece of plastic sheet plus CA, sanded back and polished.

The underside wing rear joint was the toughest and although you can't tell from the photo it has turned out really well, nice and smooth.

Just some scribing to make good and all will be ready for paint.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 1

Plodding on and I have now completed (98%) of the re scribing and rivetting, here's all my tools

spacer.png

Put the engine cover on, and after looking at photos of the real thing I made no attempt to sand the joints smooth !

As I am not using the kit engine and exhausts the fuselage is blanked off in this area.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Glued the radiator on and it did not fit very well, huge gaps all the way round, as this would not be fun to fill and sand I removed the locating pins, drilled out their locations, sanded the radiator flat then inserted some fuse wire to act as locating lugs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire
  • Like 1