Hasegawa 1/72 Harrier IIs

Eric B.

Hello all,

Just my latest project and its mate.

Latest project is the AV-8B+. It was built recently and completed a few days ago. I started it with an easy built in mind but it ended up as a serious project as I dropped every resin bit I was able to find for it and because of some inaccuracies (frog eyes over the LERXs) I wanted to correct.

Mate is the GR5 which was built 3 or 4 years ago. This kit is quite an unlucky model. It started broking a few parts during its first photo session just days after it was completed. It was easily repaired though. It later was crushed when the vibrations of a lorry made a shelf collapse in a model shop were it was displayed. It was quite a mess and several kits were damaged/destroyed. I decided to repair a few including the GR5 and an F-15E due to the additionnal work I add put in them in the seek of accuracy. It finally was repaired nearly 2 years later along the AV-8B+ project.

smallimg1683b.jpg

smallimg1693.jpg

smallimg1651.jpg

smallimg1673b.jpg

Cheers

Eric B.

Actually the GR.5 seems very lucky to survive two attempts at destroying it, and it looks no worse for wear from you photos.

For some reason, the lines of the GR.5 nose are, to me, to most attractive as compared to the GR.7 or GR.9. But again that's just me.

Nice models, thanks for posting them.

Two lovely little models, I particularly like the GR5, particularly given the problems its had - great saves!! The two tone green scheme is also my favourite Harrier camouflage & you've done a really nice job on it!

I agree about the base too, that looks very good. Any more details about it - the concrete looks very realistic?

Keef

Thank you all for your kind words

About the GR5. As I said Hasegawa certainly boxed some RAF Harrier IIs as a second thought - or they did not do the job seriously. The base of the kit is OK but they did not add the specific British exterior devices. I had added too many small bits in my GR5 to just let it go. Besides although the "green" camo looks simple, that is quite some masking. That is why I wanted to repair this kit. Glad if it doesn't quite show.

About background. This is big 4 ft x 2 ft8in (120 cm x 80 cm) grey thick paper board. It was bought from and art shop and I think they are normally used to frame photographs. I cut un two (2ft8in x 2 ft - I'll build a different base later). I just masked with some tape to add a few yellow or white lines and I added grass with some scale train stuff.

smallbaseimg1726new1.jpg

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

Hi all

Thank you all for your very kind words.

Enzo your comment really touches me. One who saw them for real remembers the good old days seing my little plastic bits.... wow ... I am happy tonight ;^D)

Cheers

Eric B.

Woops Paul,

Now they are very very nice.

I particulary like the photo set up, thats looks one big board in natural light??

Thanks for posting

Forgot to reply to your question. I actually did for the board and yes that is natural light. I may have used an additionnal flashlight for one of the AV-8B+ pictures.

Cheers

Eric B.

Hello,

Eric, they look fantastic.

What paints did you use for the GR5?

Sorry I am late replying.. Also i normally use Gunze (or Tamiya) acrylics mostly, I used Xtracolor X18 (Nato Green) and X24 (Lichen Green) on the GR5. Colours were available with no need to mix.

Paints are Gunze Acrylics on the AV-8B+

Cheers

Eric B.