Revell 1:24 Bell Huey gunship

Greetings

Working at Culdrose, alot of people know my hobby. Generally this leads to jokey comments about how sad I am and how i should grow up followed by an indepth conversation about the subject and how they used to do it. It can also be quite useful however. The waste disposal blokes found this kit in a skip and instead of ditching it, they salvaged it and it ended up in my office. Obviously a spur of the moment purchase, it was full of paint and glue, not having a decent shop this side of the Tamar that was a godsend (even the gloss pink!). As for the kit, it was started (quite badly) and there were no decals. I had no obvious draw to the kit but it seemed to eat away at my senses. I was going to give it to my colleague to slap together and use as target practise for his bb gun but couldn't bring myself to destroy it.

Working at Culdrose I see alot of aircraft in bits and have always wanted to do a stripped out aircraft. I then saw a Huey website and found some nice renovation shots. The idea was born. I shall do it in a part renovated state. I'll use this as experience and try out a few new techniques, I am going to just make it up as I go, I do reckon i will need alot of scratch building so might be worth getting shares in plasticard!. The bonus with this is I can go as far as I want, I shall start with just the cabin and see how it goes.

1:24 is not my scale either but the kit was a freebie so I am not loosing anything. The kit itself is quite robust and the level of detail is really quite basic. It will be a slow build as I have loads of other projects on the go so will only update once a month or so, just though I'd share it with you lot so you can all suffer as well. :wicked:

First the obligitory box shot of how i found it, It is a very large kit

models089.jpg

models093.jpg:tumble:

I've made a start with the centre console and have drilled out the floor ring bolts, next will be the rear bulkhead. I've gone for the easy option of a totally stripped cockpit, no instruments at all, just loads of wires and plugs.

models094.jpg

models096.jpg

Thats all for the time being so make yourselves comfy its going to be a looooong journey! I am still not really sure why I am doing this!

Cheers now

Bob

PS anyone got any good references to share that would be very useful :thumbsup:

Edited by moaning dolphin

Hi Bob,

Have just spent the day at the Helicopter Museum at Weston-super Mare, where they have a rather nice complete Huey.

If your not in any major rush, I'll be there again in a fortnight or so, armed with a loaded camera to take potshots at a Whirlwind.

I can easily turn my sights onto the Huey for some close-ups if that would be of use.

Darren

P.S. Crab is only any good with boiled fisheads!!!

Edited by dmpanther