Sukhoi Su-22M4

Mike

Just "won" one off eBay with a Neomega cockpit kit, as it's one of my favorite older(ish) Russian airplane jets :wicked: What have I let myself in for? I've seen a few builds that just criticise the cockpit, and warn the builder to test fit everything before glueing... anything else I should worry about?

Cockpit green... Don't suppose there's an equivalent color in the Xtracrylics range is there? or one I could mix up (I've got the lot - even the tank range, I think). If not, which acrylic range does have one that I'll be able to get from Bill, Graham or Steve?

I've got one in the stash to do soon, looks decent enough in the box and seemed to dry fit OK, granted it's no Tamiya kit but with a Neomega tub I'd say you've cleared the biggest hurdle. Need to pick one up myself along with some decals, probably these Fitters over Afghanistan

and I shall be making a start. As for paint the only out of a can interior green I know of is Hannants enamel X629 but mixing one shouldn't be difficult,

Gary

I've got one in the stash to do soon, looks decent enough in the box and seemed to dry fit OK, granted it's no Tamiya kit but with a Neomega tub I'd say you've cleared the biggest hurdle. Need to pick one up myself along with some decals, probably these Fitters over Afghanistan

and I shall be making a start. As for paint the only out of a can interior green I know of is Hannants enamel X629 but mixing one shouldn't be difficult,

Gary

Thanks Gary... I seem to remember seeing the Linden Hill stuff for sale over here recently, but can't remember where.... any ideas?

Just "won" one off eBay with a Neomega cockpit kit, as it's one of my favorite older(ish) Russian airplane jets :wicked: What have I let myself in for? I've seen a few builds that just criticise the cockpit, and warn the builder to test fit everything before glueing... anything else I should worry about?

Cockpit green... Don't suppose there's an equivalent color in the Xtracrylics range is there? or one I could mix up (I've got the lot - even the tank range, I think). If not, which acrylic range does have one that I'll be able to get from Bill, Graham or Steve?

The interior of the Fitter K is not Russian cockpit green.

You'd be better off using any RLM65 you got in stock.

Cheers,

S.

Thanks Gary... I seem to remember seeing the Linden Hill stuff for sale over here recently, but can't remember where.... any ideas?

Hannant's and Neomega both stock them although neither has the Fitter sheet any longer, I shall probably order from Linden Hill direct. Failing that Hannants also have the Hi Decal sheets

Su-17

and CE do a sheet too

Su-22

Good call on the cockpit Sebastien, looks blue grey to me, Prime portal

Gary

Hi

Had no problems building mine. The only area was the lack of positive fit for the undercarriage but mines been built for about five or six years and it's still in one piece. Absolutely no issues with the resin cockpit either

Regards

Paul

Mike,

If you do the usual dry-fitting twice before glueing once I think you will be on the safe side. As mentioned the kit cockpit isn't great, but neither was my Neomega cockpit (lots of bubbles etc.). The afterburner could benefit from some details too.

Also, you need to watch the wings if you want them fully swept. The leading edge of the outer part will not be nowhere in line with the inner part - this is not correct. Also, the outer parts will need thinning if you want to fit them inside the inner parts for a fully swept wing.

Apart from that it's a pretty typical Eastern kit. A bit rough but it makes for an impressive model I think.

Regards,

Good call on the cockpit Sebastien, looks blue grey to me, Prime portal

Gary

Speaking as the one who took those cockpit pictures, I can tell you indeed it was not the typical Soviet turquoise blue. Additionally, that was also the most nicely maintained Fitter I've yet seen in the Czech Republic. I believe its actually property of the Czech military rather than a museum and likely was never allowed to deteriorate. It probably looks just like it did on its retirement day back in the late 90s.

Well, it arrived today, and I'm quite impressed with the quality, except the cockpit, which is woeful! I'm glad it came with the Neomega replacement, which looks very nicely detailed especially in comparison with the undetailed "planks" of the kit cockpit's IPs. The price tag on the neomega bag is £11.50, so I paid next to nothing for the kit. I'd call that a result, and the beginning of my Soviet/Russian stash ^_^

Schturmovik is next on the list, when I find one that's going for a decent price ;)

Speaking as the one who took those cockpit pictures...

Nice walkaround ;)