Build dilemma

Peter B

Hi all,

I have a problem which I can ignore, or as it is bugging me, I can ask your advice to try and resolve it.

I am building the Revell C17. Lovely kit, in fact I now have two and the wing flap conversion kit from Wolfpack.

I have just glued the wings to the fuzz and, not noticed in the dry fitting sessions, I have a slight misalignment with the wing root rear to the fuselage root. I have primed the whole airframe and in a certain light the misalignment shows.

Question: What filler is best to use? I am looking for (if I decide to do it) something that 'feathers' very easily. I have tried Vallejo Plastic Putty and have removed same as it didn't feather.

Your advice is requested. Many thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

There's plenty of options

I have had success with both

Revell Plasto (used this stuff to correct the u/c sponsons on the big brother C-17 from Anigrand) &

Humbrol Model Filler used lots of this on the big Airfix Cranberries

Depends on what your LHS has where you are.

Adrian

PS:

What is the flap set like?

Edited by atdb27

Hi Peter,

There's plenty of options

I have had success with both

Revell Plasto (used this stuff to correct the u/c sponsons on the big brother C-17 from Anigrand) &

Humbrol Model Filler used lots of this on the big Airfix Cranberries

Depends on what your LHS has where you are.

Adrian

PS:

What is the flap set like?

Hi Adrian,

Unfortunately Canterbury has no model shops now. My local model shop is now Graham at Relish Models on line!

The flap set comes beautifully boxed but I will have to get two left and right longish pieces replaced as they have warped rather badly. I will try to straighten same in hottish water but have just wanged an email off to Wolfpack in Korea. I have noted that there are some similar complaints, mainly on a US site, of warped parts in other sets and the man at Wolfpack has said just let them know and they will replace! Took just over a week to get here direct from Wolfpack ex www.wolfpacl-d.com

Peter

Try a product called Aves Apoxie sculpt.

It's a 2-part putty, similar to Miliput (but a lot better).

After applying it to the required area, you can smooth it out with a wet finger (for instance).

It seems to be a lot finer than miliput when sanding too.

I got mine from E-bay

It made light work of the engine to wing joints on an Airfix Lanc (a real filler hog!) ;)

Try a product called Aves Apoxie sculpt.

It's a 2-part putty, similar to Miliput (but a lot better).

After applying it to the required area, you can smooth it out with a wet finger (for instance).

It seems to be a lot finer than miliput when sanding too.

I got mine from E-bay

It made light work of the engine to wing joints on an Airfix Lanc (a real filler hog!) ;)

Smiffy: Thanks for that mate. I haven't heard of that one. Always useful to know about these products.

However, after the posts of yesterday, I decided to experiment on old bit of plastic. I used some Humbrol Model Filler and mixed in some Humbrol Enamel Thinners to make a very fine paste which made it very 'smoothable' with a pallet knife. I left it overnight and this morning I sanded it and it feathered beautifully.

I have now used this concoction on the C17 and, after 8 hours to cure, careful wet and dry flatting has done the job very well indeed. Because of the type of 'repair', the filler had to be spread over an area about 1" x 0.5" so that the filler blended in with the rest of the wing and fuselage. Job done.

JamesH, Mark, Adrian, Dave Gibson, Smiffy - Thanks for all the useful replies guys.

Peter :cheers:

Sounds a bit like Magic Sculpt which i would probably use in this case

It is used amongst other things in ceramic restoration, is very fine and smoothed easily.

Also excess can be wiped off easliy before it sets with damp cotton buds, cloth etc

Have also made my own filler like you Peter with chopped up sprue, but never really found it workable enough. But seems to have done the trick, so job's a good 'un! :D