Air Sea Rescue Spitfire II C

cdk

Hello to all,

one of my next Spitfire modeling object is the Mk IIc. This variant was used for air - sea rescue work. It was fitted with two small smoke bombs. The two flare chutes in the underside of the fuselage are modified to take a dinghy and a container with food. This info's are from a small Ducimus book called - Supermarine Spitfire, by Peter Moss. All I have found by a search in the WWW are some pictures from a Spit coded AQ-C. What I need are pictures or drawings that show the bombrack and the position of the flare chutes.

The flares are a mystery to me. What is the reason for two big flares on a day fighter ? On the other hand I have looked all my books to show such flares on any other Spit variant with no success.

Have someone a answer for me ?

Claus

Hello to all,

one of my next Spitfire modeling object is the Mk IIc. This variant was used for air - sea rescue work. It was fitted with two small smoke bombs. The two flare chutes in the underside of the fuselage are modified to take a dinghy and a container with food. This info's are from a small Ducimus book called - Supermarine Spitfire, by Peter Moss. All I have found by a search in the WWW are some pictures from a Spit coded AQ-C. What I need are pictures or drawings that show the bombrack and the position of the flare chutes.

The flares are a mystery to me. What is the reason for two big flares on a day fighter ? On the other hand I have looked all my books to show such flares on any other Spit variant with no success.

Have someone a answer for me ?

Claus

I have a book with a picture of P8131 AQ-C showing canisters being loaded into chutes in the underside of fuselage just about at rear of wing root. It looks like there may be some hoop type attachments on the underside of the port wing that could possibly be the rack for the smoke bombs.

David

There's a couple of pics of P8131 on this page if you scroll down a bit:

http://www.luchtoorlog.be/spit_if.htm

The one on the ground must have been taken at the same time as the pic I have in abook but from a slightly different angel

Hope that helps.

David

What is the reason for two big flares on a day fighter ? On the other hand I have looked all my books to show such flares on any other Spit variant with no success.

The ability to release signal flares was a standard part of most UK military aircraft specifications of the period. The main expected use was for the aeroplane to identify itself when approaching friendly forces, e.g. a convoy at sea, or the air defences at a port or other well defended feature. The idea was for the pilot to fire the 'colours of the day' to identify himself as 'friendly'.

As far as I know it was not widely used. Presumably, advances in radio and other technologies like IFF made identification flares less relevant as time went on.

It's possible that they were also designed for use when the Spitfire was still considered as a possible nightfighter, after all overhead illumination might have worked. If it was, it was soon dispensed with, since one tube was deleted from the production line from 1-7-40, and doesn't seem to have been considered for the Mk.V. Everybody knows about the Very-style pyrotechnic flare, which came out of the fuselage spine, but I've only recently discovered that, from 14-6-40 originally, it was fitted just in front of the tail wheel, and fired downwards, only being moved to its upward-firing position on 7-4-41. Anyone seen a photo of a Spitfire with a small hole just in front of the tailwheel, because I certainly haven't?

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

The description of that photo in the IWM archives is:

"Ground crew loading a dinghy into a Supermarine Spitfire Mark IIA, P8131 'AQ-C', of No. 276 Squadron RAF at Warmwell, Dorset, during an air/sea rescue exercise."

Hello,

first thank's for all the replys. The picture above is the one I have found in the WWW. I have also supposed that the thing under the wing left is a holder for the smoke bombs. But how does it look ?

The ex flare chutes, I think, have a panel on a hinge wich opens to release the emergency packs. Know someone are the openings for the chutes stepped or parallel ?

Claus

Hello,

the modification took place in 1942. So I think the colours are the Day Fighter Scheme. Because the low contrast in the pic's abouve, I will go with Mixed Grey and not Medium Sea Grey. But I can be wrong. The temperate sea scheme will be a logical alternative.

Claus

Sorry, I forgot these. There is a colour photograph of Spitfire Vb AB981 MY-T in Freeman's - The RAF of WW II in Colour.

For me it shows clearly the Day Fighter Scheme. I belief there was no such a modification like the Mk IIc. So it was more a pure search aircraft.

Claus