F8F Bearcat in 1/48th - FINI! see RFI

Hi all, I previously posted a thread in ready for Inspection on Saturday - by mistake. So I will add a redirect to here.

Hobbycrafts 1/48 F8F has been avaialbe for a while now ( 15years perhaps?) and is also available in the Academy boxing - which I am using. Though dimensionally pretty OK it suffers from 1 BIG problem and a couple of minor ones. I hope this build will be of use to anyone wanting to improve the only 1/48th model of Grumman's last, most pugnacious single engine "prop-cat"

First up the BIG problem: the cowling. As moulded the model has a cowling lip shape which is far too blunt, and the diameter of the cowl opening is too small. This really does screw up the shape of the model when compared to the original. There have been resin replacements for the cowling, which do solve the problem. Looking at the kit part, I decided that I could improve the shape the old fashioned way: to whit - some serious sanding.

The aim was to make the curve of the cowl lip extend back more and take on a smoother gentler curve. Using a very coard sanding pad, the shape was altered, and then refined with finer grades of pad until i was happy. I still need to rescribe some panel lines, but here you can see the new cowling, compared against the unaltered:

FBFcowlcomp1.jpg

Here's how the airframe looks with the unaltered cowl:

F8Foldcowlprof.jpg

And with the reshaped one:

F8Fnewcowlprof.jpg

Whichever version of Bearcat you desire - the cowling front shape is the same, so this will need to be done. I've also removed the cooling flaps from aft of the cowl and added plastic card inserts to fair the fuselage underneath in. I'll cut new flaps form plastic card later.

Now onto the first of the minor kit problems - the UC bay.

As moulded Hobbycraft tried to show the prominent air ducting in each wheel well, and provided an insert for the fuselage to depict the bay into which these lead. However its very basic and doesn't do the complex nature of the real thing much justice.

As the Bearcat airframe is very smooth and clean - I felt that this area really needed some extra detail added - to add interest and realism to the machine.

First up I removed the existing moulded in ducting from the UC bays, then started to add new bulkheads, ducting and details from scratch. The air intakes also need a lot of work to fair in the ducting too. These shots are very much in progress, as there's LOTS more to add yet.

So far everything added is made form plastic card, tape or bits form the spares box.

F8Fbay1.jpg

F8Fintakes1.jpg

F8Fintakes2.jpg

F8Fairintakes.jpg

Note the intakes still need refining and theres a small splitter plate to add inside the inner, wider part of the intakes too.

The final bit to correct: The undercart.

The Bearcat had a unique trunnioned UC leg which allowed for a long gear leg length without positioning the UC way way outboard. Hobbycraft's moulding of the leg is one peice and a bit anaemic to say the least. I thought that this unique feature of the aircraft could do with a bit of TLC - so here are the first steps.

First the upper part of the leg ( the hinged trunnion) is removed. Next using thick plastic card and some very fiddly sanding, filing and drilling, new beefier trunnions were made. The link between leg and trunnion was drilled and brass tube used to make the hinge - which does work. Finally out came the mini drill with mini bur head and the recessed areas were made. The leg needs to be reshaped too - but that's mainly a cosmetic exercise using a file and some CA. The Oleo scissor links need to be redone and the braking calipers and hydraulic lines applied. But overall I'm pleased with the start.

F8FUCleg.jpg

Well that's the state of play this evening. As more detail is added, I'll update with new pics. Hope you like it so far.

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor
  • Like 2

Nice work so far, Jonners. Very nice job ye did rehabilitating that cocked-up front cowling.

FWIW, there might be some useful information to be gleaned from Roger Jackson's excellent article over at ModelingMadness.com. He rehabilitated the old Hawk kit (arguably a tougher job than yours), and while he is rather stingy regarding praise for the Hobbycraft kit, some of his thoughts regarding details on his model may be of use to you. IIRC, the wheels in the Hobbycraft kit are copies of T-33 wheels which are wrong for all but the postwar warbird and air racing crowd. Personally, i feel the Hobbycraft kit is a better starting point. Besides- Look at all the ordnance they give you!!!

i am keeping an eye out for a 72nd scale Monogram F8F. Saw the Art Model F8F at a contest yesterday, but i think i can do just as well with the Monogram kit, which is as old as i am. The Art Model kit had some fabulous looking resin bits, but i think i can do a better job in the scribing department, especially for a Gloss Sea Blue aeroplane.

Cheers,

david

Nice work so far, Jonners. Very nice job ye did rehabilitating that cocked-up front cowling.

FWIW, there might be some useful information to be gleaned from Roger Jackson's excellent article over at ModelingMadness.com. He rehabilitated the old Hawk kit (arguably a tougher job than yours), and while he is rather stingy regarding praise for the Hobbycraft kit, some of his thoughts regarding details on his model may be of use to you. IIRC, the wheels in the Hobbycraft kit are copies of T-33 wheels which are wrong for all but the postwar warbird and air racing crowd. Personally, i feel the Hobbycraft kit is a better starting point. Besides- Look at all the ordnance they give you!!!

i am keeping an eye out for a 72nd scale Monogram F8F. Saw the Art Model F8F at a contest yesterday, but i think i can do just as well with the Monogram kit, which is as old as i am. The Art Model kit had some fabulous looking resin bits, but i think i can do a better job in the scribing department, especially for a Gloss Sea Blue aeroplane.

Cheers,

david

Hi Dave- you know that was the only F8F build on MM I didnt read!! - good tip on the wheels - I could not work out why they looked "not right".

There's a thread on here about 1/72 Bearcats too - which you no doubt have seen.

My main problem is markings - can't decide on a -1B in USN or a -1B in French markings. Hmmmm !! :)

Jonners

Ooh tough one, but you did the F-8 in french markings didn't you? they would look rather smart together.

rich

I know - but despite my liking for the French markings, and the endless weathering possibilities, I'm sort of torn versus the rather neat smart USN schemes. If I could find 1/48 markings for a Thai -1 it would be a no brainer though.

Jonners, a pondering.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update. I've decifded on a colour scheme: Armee De L'Air Indo china - the weathering got me!!

And just because I can, I've decided to Eduard-out the cockpit withtier rather tasty looking etch set, which also has some neat looking 3 part gear doors and other bits to spruce things up too. Oh and a quick boost engine too!!

So watch this space as theres more scratch work to come too.

Jonners

• 2 weeks later...

Jonners, several years ago Aeromasters decals did a sheet for the F8F that had markings for 2 Thai A/Cs. One each overall blue & one in silver paint.I unfortunately cannot recall the sheet number, but maybe someone else can. Carl T :speak_cool:

Jonners, several years ago Aeromasters decals did a sheet for the F8F that had markings for 2 Thai A/Cs. One each overall blue & one in silver paint.I unfortunately cannot recall the sheet number, but maybe someone else can. Carl T :speak_cool:

Hiya I know - long OOP - cant find them anywhere!

Jonners

Right, hopefully the RM will deliver details today ( :undecided: ), but in the meantime I've done a bit more work detailing the "gloryhole" and UC bays.

The detail is 'inspired" by the real thing but not totally true - however the whole thing now looks suitable busy when viewed from the UC bays; though painting it will be fun :)

I've also reprofiled the prop (compared against a bearcat prop from a way old build of the same model) and worked on the tailpanes to add a bit of interest.

The prop really looks much better - just lengthening the blade roots makes a big difference to the rather stunted kit version.

The leading edge air intakes have now had further work, and look OK now too.

Today will be further work on the UC legs to add the retraction mechanisms and brake piping.

bearcatgloryhole.jpg

beacatbay.jpg

bearcatprops.jpg

bearcattailplane.jpg

More soon!

Jonners

• Like 2

Wow, COOL!!

i know a little bit about the Bearcat, but i had no idea just how complicated those landing gear struts really are. They do look miles better than the kit legs. The detailing of the wheel wells adds the required degree of busy-ness.

Now, with all that work, are you sure you don't want to do a USN one? it seems half the pictures i see of Bearcats depict them upside down, or perched on their noses, often lying against the aircraft carrier "island", or upside down, or torque-rolling into the ocean., Ha Ha.

Canna wait to see her finished.

Kind regards,

david

Wow, COOL!!

i know a little bit about the Bearcat, but i had no idea just how complicated those landing gear struts really are. They do look miles better than the kit legs. The detailing of the wheel wells adds the required degree of busy-ness.

Now, with all that work, are you sure you don't want to do a USN one? it seems half the pictures i see of Bearcats depict them upside down, or perched on their noses, often lying against the aircraft carrier "island", or upside down, or torque-rolling into the ocean., Ha Ha.

Canna wait to see her finished.

Kind regards,

david

Hi David - by all accounts the Bearcat was a joy to fly, but I guess if you whack a big kick-bottom engine onto a light relatively short airframe, then you've gotta be careful with how you apply that power when landing! The reason the -2 had the taller tail was to compensate for the even more powerful engine that version had ( and it was recommended to be made even taller, but for the fact that would have required a complete redesign of the unit)

I'm afraid the French version is looking more likely. I've been thinking about how to reproduce the weathered paintwork, and have come up with a plan I'm keen to try. Lets just say it involves an airbrush, a toothbrush and some very thin layers of translucent paint!

Hopefully once the PE arrives the cockpit can be built, and that lovely Quickboost engine will add a bit of interest up front :)

Cheers

Jonners

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang - right - the Eduard PE arrived, the quick boost engine and true details wheels too. So its been detailing and painting time. Heres where I'm at:

Quickboost engine with push rods and ignition harness added from various grades of wire. Looks a bit smarter than the kit part I think!

bearcatengine.jpg

The Eduard PE gear doors - made from a 3 part folded piece of brass, and the PE scissor links added to the legs themselves. The gear doors are just lovely bits of detail, and really look in-scale. I've primed the doors here and washed them so you can see the details.

bearcatgearanddoors.jpg

Here's the scratchbuilt UC bays after some painting and weathering:

bearcatucbayspainted.jpg

And finally - the cockpit in the process of painting. Eduard provide a lovely new seat, and some sidewall details plus details for the console sides etc etc. There's lots more to add here yet - but it all look suitable busy. Note also the rear deck has added brass plus the rollover pylon gets lots of bits - which as its very visible makes for a great bit of interest.

bearpit01.jpg

bearsidescomp.jpg

Just working on the pre painted PE instrument panel at present , then its details painting the pit and adding some more bits of prepainted brass too. Had an eye test today. Eyes OK - but sanity in question :)

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 3

Only just come across this thread Jonners, I was hoping you were going to do one after the false start in RfI, so I don't know how I missed it!

Great work so far, especially like the u/c legs, absolutely tremendous difference you've made there! 'Pit is rather nice as well!!

Watching till the end now!

Keef

Splendid!

The F8F undercarriage legs are rather an overlooked, but mechanically very interesting part of the aeroplane. She's really starting to look like something.

How is the fit at the wing root, and did you have any problems with the interior bits throwing off the wing dihedral?

And now.....The much-anticipated priming stage arrives.

Cheers,

david

Splendid!

The F8F undercarriage legs are rather an overlooked, but mechanically very interesting part of the aeroplane. She's really starting to look like something.

How is the fit at the wing root, and did you have any problems with the interior bits throwing off the wing dihedral?

And now.....The much-anticipated priming stage arrives.

Cheers,

david

Hi Dave - sent you my email addy BTW.

The fit was all fine - probably because I've been testing the fit at every stage to ensure no 'surpises" when it came to the assembly. As a result - all joins are good and nothings been thrown out of true! phew!

I've done a bit more work on the tailwheel this afternoon: I originally thought the kit part looked OK - but after studying several pics I decided that I wanted the wheel to be castored round ( which you see a lot on parked machines), so a bit more drilling and fiddling there. Theres some bits on the eduard PE fret for it which I can now use too. :)

I also looked at the true detail wheels and decided they needed work - so the daftly over done bulged flattened tire has been virtually removed, and I checked them in my motor tool and flattened down the profile too - which seems to rounded to me.

If I can get some work done in the week - we'll be painting next weekend!

Cheers

Jonners