Airfix 1/144 Saturn V

I'm building the re-issue of the Airfix 1/144 Saturn V as part of a GB on the Airfix Tribute Forum, hopefully to display on the Airfix Modelling SIG table at SMW this year.

Box and sprues - Saturn V. (Clickable thumbs).

SaturnVa.jpg

SaturnVb.jpg

The new revised sprue.

SaturnVc.jpg

SaturnVd.jpg

SaturnVe.jpg

SaturnVf.jpg

SaturnVg.jpg

SaturnVh.jpg

The crew...

SaturnVi.jpg

I've made a start, most of the major assembley is done on the main body - it's just glueing big tubes together! I've found the best thing to do is to remove most of the locating pins, as these are very large (click fit?). As I thought, most of the work will be in the finesse of clearing up seam lines on the parts with stringer detail.

The main engine pods are really bad, nasty seams surrounded by stringer detail. From a link provided in the GB references by Steven Pietrobon, I've seen pictures where they are covered in protective insulating material. I'm going to grab that with both hands and run with it - tamiya tape overcoated with future should do the trick.

It certainly looks impressive when assembled. The way the sections slot together should make storage and transport a lot easier.

Best

Rich

I'll be watching with great interest.

When I get one and build it, I don't think I'll be putting the astronauts in the capsule!

Save you seen the umbilical and electrical add-on bits available on the bay of evil? A search using 'Airfix Saturn' will pop them up.

Edited by PHREAK

Picture progress, just prior to adding milliput to the seams. It really does build up into a very impressive model.

IMG_3808.jpg

It does break down into sections easily, and the locking mechanism is very solid when assembled.

IMG_3820.jpg

Seams are a bit dodgy in places, I've applied tape to try to prevent losing surrounding detail in the filling process.

IMG_3816.jpg

The rocket base plate has a sink mark and will require bit of filling around the edge.

IMG_3813.jpg

The rockets themselvesare probably the worse bit, nasty joins and fine stringer detail. One of mine was a bit short shot. I'm basically going to sand them down a bit and cover them in tape to act as the insulation applied to the real ones. Should cover everything nicely.

IMG_3815.jpg

I've glued one half of the new lunar module pod in place after removing the locating pins, this will allow me to glue the service module in place, but still allow the lunar module to be seen.

IMG_3809.jpg

A bit of clean up on the lunar module is needed but the new parts look very nice. The surface texture is a little grainy though.

IMG_3812.jpg.

Filling and sanding next.

Best

Rich

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

When you come to painting, note that there is an error in the instruction sheet - the black stripes on the first stage only extend up as far as the bottom of the intertank stringers, not the top as shown. This is because Airfix sent Mat Irvine* a poor-quality photocopy of the draft instruction sheet for him to check and he didn't spot the mistake until it was too late.

*Mat Irvine is the man to go to when you want to know about space kits. He's written two books about them and it was he who persuaded Airfix to release an accurate version of the Saturn V with a Block II spacecraft.

Holy thread revivial Batman! I did get this finished and it went on the Airfix Modelling SIG display at SMW 2009 and then onto Airfix HQ in Margate for display there.

I was trying to get several models done including the then new HMS illustrious and didn't really get the chance for many more build shots, the only completed picture I have is from the display!

smw09satpm.jpg