Where to buy 1/32 scale kits

chris

So are there any dealers out there in U.K that sells 1/32 scale planes at a decent price or is it down to e-bay U.S , or ordering straight from japan/tiawan etc.

I like my hobby but so fed up getting ripped off by high street prices or u.k based internet sites charging too much ( i think) for the pleasure of model building .

I have found a good site (luckymodel.com) that supplies excellent kits at a good price including shipping that beats all major U.K sites that i have visited.If a U.K based seller can meet the prices or better them then i would spend my hard earned there ,instead of another country .

Edited by Mike

Chris

I agree wholeheartedly!

I use Ebay US a lot, still cheaper and good deals to be had even with USPS shipping having gone up.

The Aviation Hobby Shop might have some 32nds in stock.

Also try www.ericyy.com - sells a good selection of Tamiya/Trump kits dirt cheap prices. Based in HK.

I'll think of a few more....

Thanks for the link - I haven't come across that site before , but the prices of the kits are really competitive ... The problem is with me , the costs of the basic plastic represents less and less of the final cost of the finished model... :closedeyes:

Thats a good thing, right?

Or am I missing something?

Cheers.

Bob

Thats a good thing, right?

Well not really - my current project is an F-4B in 32nd - so I've got the Marine boxing of the Tamiya F-4J bought off e-bay for £50 , add to that the 2 CE F-4b conversion sets , (thank goodness for the current exchange rate!), to that add in the CE MB Mk5 seats , and their replacement engines , not to mention the CAM decals , and Eduard brass, and BB F-4J pit , and all of a sudden my desire to have a complete run of USN F-4 variants in 32nd is looking like a VERY expensive proposition

Having said that , I do buy kits and the various add ons when I get then cheap , and hold them in stock , until the mood takes me - one of the reasons my 32nd F-4G took 3 1/2 years to complete , 3 years+ to accumulate the pieces, and 3 months to build!

My darling wife , when i told her the prices of the kits on the new site has told me that if I want to but a couple of 32nd kits for stock , go ahead - oh I do love her !

My darling wife , when i told her the prices of the kits on the new site has told me that if I want to but a couple of 32nd kits for stock , go ahead - oh I do love her !

Well neighbour, if she's anything like my wife I'm sure she's happy if it keeps you quiet for three months at a time ;)

*Edit* Why can't I get this bloody emoticon to work :rant:

Edited by Col.

Well not really - my current project is an F-4B in 32nd - so I've got the Marine boxing of the Tamiya F-4J bought off e-bay for £50 , add to that the 2 CE F-4b conversion sets , (thank goodness for the current exchange rate!), to that add in the CE MB Mk5 seats , and their replacement engines , not to mention the CAM decals , and Eduard brass, and BB F-4J pit , and all of a sudden my desire to have a complete run of USN F-4 variants in 32nd is looking like a VERY expensive proposition

HEHE man after my own heart ...awaiting my 3rd tammy F-4 .....dont go as far as resin cans , but P.E is acceptable

One thing, when buying from abroad, for U.K. residents to be aware (and beware) of, is import charges. If an item is labelled as above a certain price ($30-I think?) the customs will open it, think of a value, add duty and VAT to it, then the Post Office will charge you for repacking, and delivering, said item. This can take the gloss off the "saving." Some exporters have got wise, to this, so will label the kit as "low value," but you might still have to take pot luck.

Edgar

Never had any custom charges or any packing that has been opened .. max contents is around $35 , if u get a good seller they would enter a smaller amount on the customs form ( naughty ) , but the savings are excellent

Must admit I got stung with customs duty once on a 1/48 Dragon Me262 Nightfighter from HLJ. Whatever I saved on the kit price I had to pay on the duty, but as I say it was only one time. However I still think it's worthwhile ordering from overseas and taking a chance on beating the VAT/Customs duty etc. An example is the Achtung Panzer book on the Tiger 1. Over here it's around £35 but I got a copy from HLJ (www.hlj.com) including P&P for around £22-ish. Quite a saving.

bought 3 squadron signal books .. me 110 £6 me 109 parts 1 and 2 £4 . with shipping totalled £15 ... just about buy 1 here in U.K

One thing, when buying from abroad, for U.K. residents to be aware (and beware) of, is import charges. If an item is labelled as above a certain price ($30-I think?) the customs will open it, think of a value, add duty and VAT to it, then the Post Office will charge you for repacking, and delivering, said item. This can take the gloss off the "saving." Some exporters have got wise, to this, so will label the kit as "low value," but you might still have to take pot luck.

Edgar

Actually another member, wezra, ordered about £80 worth of stuff from a shop in far east.

When it arrived, customs slapped £15 duties, but annoyingly so did Parcel Force??

Work that one out :shithappens:

Actually another member, wezra, ordered about £80 worth of stuff from a shop in far east.

When it arrived, customs slapped £15 duties, but annoyingly so did Parcel Force??

Work that one out :shithappens:

That's their "collection & administration" fee :w***: It used to be £7.50, which was bad enough, but they seem to have upped the ante now :rolleyes:

Hey Chris

I use both LuckyModel.com from Hong Kong and Hobby Link Japan from Japan a lot, never had any problems with them in 2 years, apart from being stung VAT on my Finemolds Millennium Falcon, but still cheaper by far.

I hate to say it but these Far East shops can just source there kits cheaper locally, Dont get me wrong I buy locally all the time and get really good deals in the UK, but with prices like that you really can't turn them down.

just a few thoughts.

Steve

Edited by KiwiSteve

I am too.

I can only imagine that YY is updating the website.

Give it time and try again.

Cheers.

Bob

We validated membership for an EricYY over the last few days, so he's probably going to drop in at some point. ;)

I buy a lot of resin sci-fi kits from the states and I've been caught with the old customs/import charges a few times.

It mainly seems to be the big stuff (24th scale X-wings, 48th B-wing etc) that they single out, the smaller stuff seems to sneak through (not as much profit to be made?:angry: ).

Having said that, I ordered my Finemoulds Falcon from HLJ and even with the postage/vat etc, it still worked out cheaper than buying it from somewhere like Comet here in the U.K.

Dear all modelers,

Here is EricYY from hongkong.

please drop me words if you still cannot visit the webiste. Thanks

I have informaiton of customs policy around the world, usually have no problem to UK, if comparing with Canada, Italy, and many countries in East Europe/

welcome for enquiry

yy

email: [email protected] or [email protected]

We validated membership for an EricYY over the last few days, so he's probably going to drop in at some point. ;)

Hi Ericyy

Just placed order for 1/32 tamiya phantom (marines) and trumpeter 1/48th vigilante , just need invoice please . Many Thanks and welcome :grouphug:

kind regards chris

Edited by chris