Roden Gotha GV help please!

Tiger2

Hi all, my first posting here so be gentle with me! I'm just about to embark on a Gotha GV build. I've got the 'Part' etched set on standby and some superb night lozenge decals from Americal Gryphon, plus a good spread of reference including some great cockpit shots but try as I might I can't find a decent pic to confirm that the GV had the passage way between the pilot and rear gunner closed off due to the fuel tanks being moved there.

Both the Roden kit and the etched set feature this passage way which was certainly a feature of the early Gotha's up to the G1V and yet my text references maintain it was closed off!

I would be very grateful if anyone out there can post up an image if they have one or recommend another reference. Many thanks!

Hi all, my first posting here so be gentle with me! I'm just about to embark on a Gotha GV build. I've got the 'Part' etched set on standby and some superb night lozenge decals from Americal Gryphon, plus a good spread of reference including some great cockpit shots but try as I might I can't find a decent pic to confirm that the GV had the passage way between the pilot and rear gunner closed off due to the fuel tanks being moved there.

Both the Roden kit and the etched set feature this passage way which was certainly a feature of the early Gotha's up to the G1V and yet my text references maintain it was closed off!

I would be very grateful if anyone out there can post up an image if they have one or recommend another reference. Many thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forums! The WWI section here is a bit quiet, I'm afraid - so it's no reflection on you!!

The best referrence I have for the Gotha series is Gotha! from Albatros Productions:

http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/gotha-33-p.asp

I've had a quick scan and can't see any photos which show the specific area, but the plan seems to indicate that it wasn't there on the G V. The info may be buried in the text, so I'd really recommend the book, it's a great source of info anyway!

Tiger2,

I check my referances for the Gotha G.V in quest of an answer for you . Thereferences Gotha G.V did have the passage way covered over.If you have or can get a copy of Windsocks excellent Gotha Special take a look at page 57 photo #86. It's a small photo but clearly shows the passage way is indeed closed off. The same may not be true for the G.Va or G.Vb ,on page 45 photo 63 show a G.Vb with the passage way open. Seems odd since all references state it was closed to allow for the internal fuel tanks,could be for maintenance I suppose.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette