Hobbyboss Tornado - IT IS here

Matt Roberts

Hmmm....

Just looking at the sprues again on IPMS Phillipines and noiced no chaff pod for an RAF GR-1

Chaff pod? Whaddyamean Chaff pod?

I hope they remember to blank off the gun for the ECR. Of course if they don't its not too hard to alleviate.

Though a lot easier to fill the gun port than to drill it out! FWIW it LOOKS like the sprues have those areas covered...

Edited by Bill Clark

The BOZ pods are carried by all operators and are inclued in the kit

BOZ pod

Thanks for that Shaun, I am aware of that but given the BOZ107 is a combined chaff and flare dispenser - I was wondering if that was what Matt was referring to - hence my question to Matt - to see if he'd missed something we hadn't...

Thanks anyway!

Edited by Bill Clark

I know that Shaun, but given the BOZ107 is a combined chaff and flare dispenser - I was wondering if that was what Matt was referring to - hence my question to Matt - to see if he'd missed something we hadn't...

Thanks anyway!

He could be referring to the sidewinder rail BOL dispensors?, I can't see these on the sprues?

These are needed for both modern GR4's and updated F-3's

Shaun.

He could be referring to the sidewinder rail BOL dispensors?, I can't see these on the sprues?

These are needed for both modern GR4's and updated F-3's

Shaun.

Yes, He could I suppose - hopefully he's right about the RAF dedicated sprues being added to later issues.....

The BOZ pod was what I was thinking of, it's been a while (15+ years) since I built a Fin and I am used to looking for the Sky Shadow and BOZ near each other on the sprues....

Good point Matt! We could really do with a pair in any RAF kit anyway, lots wore a paiir instead of the Sky Shadow and BOZ.

Another thing..the fuel bags......No sign of "Hindenburgers" unless they're on the same sprue as the ordinary bags- and if so they look the same size! Oh dear!

Weapons aside, I really can't wait to get my hands on this kit! I'll no doubt build the first in "Alpha fit" as a TTTE GR1 and if not I have a few Airfix, Flightpath, Italeri odds and ends to sling under the wings!

Good point Matt! We could really do with a pair in any RAF kit anyway, lots wore a paiir instead of the Sky Shadow and BOZ.

Another thing..the fuel bags......No sign of "Hindenburgers" unless they're on the same sprue as the ordinary bags- and if so they look the same size! Oh dear!

Weapons aside, I really can't wait to get my hands on this kit! I'll no doubt build the first in "Alpha fit" as a TTTE GR1 and if not I have a few Airfix, Flightpath, Italeri odds and ends to sling under the wings!

The BOZ carried in place of the Skyshadow is a ballast pod,The pylons not wired for BOZ,& anyway,Every single BOZ pod in every single kit aside from Revell's 1/32 has the back end wrong! The rear face should be angled off to starboard & down.

It does actually come with a BOZ 107...

Easy enough to change though.....

Yup,file it & drill out the cartridge recess,all two bits of wire for the guide rods,paint interior zinc chromate.

But you would think that if the kit mould makers would've gotten it right on day one!

• 4 weeks later...

About bloody time is all I'll say. I can't wait for the F.3, well over due. I hope it comes with XXV (F) markings as my old squadron always seems to get overlooked for some reason.

Here's a question, why are the 2250 tanks called "Hindenburger" tanks, the only time I ever hear them refered to as such is on modeling forums? We never used to call them this, we called them Lima fit tanks (L for large). The smaller tanks were called "Mike fit" tanks.

About bloody time is all I'll say. I can't wait for the F.3, well over due. I hope it comes with XXV (F) markings as my old squadron always seems to get overlooked for some reason.

Here's a question, why are the 2250 tanks called "Hindenburger" tanks, the only time I ever hear them refered to as such is on modeling forums? We never used to call them this, we called them Lima fit tanks (L for large). The smaller tanks were called "Mike fit" tanks.

Same here,we called them 'Big Juggs'.....I never heard the Tornado called 'Tonka' either, The Mighty Fin yes but never Tonka...

Same here,we called them 'Big Juggs'.....I never heard the Tornado called 'Tonka' either, The Mighty Fin yes but never Tonka...

Always called them Big Juggs, never heard them called Hindenburgers until I left the RAF. Spent 4 years at Binbrook and in that time I never heard a Lightning called a Frightening either!!

The weapon/ fuel designation for the F3 seems to have changed over the years. In the early 90's a clean F3 was 'Kilo', 'Lima' 1500 litre tanks and 'Mike' 2250 litre tanks. You knew you were in for a long sortie if the aircraft revealed themselves as 'Mike Fit'. This was especially so if they requested a tanker later on! Oh those were the days. With the replacement of the Phantom FG1 and FGR2, (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta fit), Lightning etc., by the F3 the designations were shuffled around to accomodate other types. Maybe it was decided to use some logic and link Lima with large.

Andrew

Edited by TEZ

Just a FYI update from the Rumourmonger....

Still no sign of the kit now on Nov 20 2009.

Though going by how the kits are aranged on the HB website - the IDS is right after the A-7B....which is out. So in the best tea leaf reading manner it appears it may be the next one released (fingers crossed!)

Matt

Just a heads up...

Over on ARC a Filipino member mentions that the Tornado and F-111A are both due for release in the Phillipines 'soon'. So I'd expect it to possibly be in the next group of releases from Our Benevolent Chinese Hobby Overlords....

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....p;#entry1853389

Eagle1..post#48

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=HB-80353

Lucky Model this morning states they will be available NEXT FRIDAY - December 4th 2009 - $47 with $16 S&H from Hong Kong

Also for the ship guys who lurk around here - 700th HMS Repulse under $30 incl S&H ($23 + $6)

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TP05763

Happy Thanksgiving

Matt

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=HB-80353

Lucky Model this morning states they will be available NEXT FRIDAY - December 4th 2009 - $47 with $16 S&H from Hong Kong

Also for the ship guys who lurk around here - 700th HMS Repulse under $30 incl S&H ($23 + $6)

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TP05763

Happy Thanksgiving

Matt

Works out about £45 compared with the current Hannants price of £37.99?.

I don't mind waiting another month till the ship comes in.

Edited by Shaun

Just remember we don't know what the price is stateside yet - the best guess is what Hobbylink is going with and that's over $100 - Japanese and American prices are pretty close.

What does Hannants charge on S&H?

I know that some of the guys who worked with the German Air Force call them Tonka. Maybe that's were it comes from.

Cheers,

Alex