Hobbyboss Tornado - IT IS here

Matt Roberts

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...1270&st=220

from a 1999.co.jp pre-sale this morning. Bad thing Japanese price of 9800 yen so close to $100 USD and US and Japanese Hobbyboss pricing is close. No idea of Hong Kong pricing or UK as of yet.

Matt

Edit - just so it'll quit being a problem, since original posting the Hannants price was posted at 38lbs...errr.....38 quid (my keyboard doesn't have the Pound symbol easily found!) Matt 9/8/09

Edited by Matt Roberts

Thanks for that Matt. The price looks a bit OTT - makes the £2.00 I paid for an Italeri GR1 a year or so back even more of a bargain (mind you I did have to spend a small fortune on NeoMega & Paragon bits!!).

Am I right that there was talk of an ADV/F3. or was that just wishful thinking?

Thanks for that Matt. The price looks a bit OTT - makes the £2.00 I paid for an Italeri GR1 a year or so back even more of a bargain (mind you I did have to spend a small fortune on NeoMega & Paragon bits!!).

Am I right that there was talk of an ADV/F3. or was that just wishful thinking?

There will be an F-3/ADV just not yet. Keep watching the omnibus thread for when either myself or Paul gets wind of it.

You have to remember there SHOULD be probably 6-8 boxings of the basic Tornado possible, GR-1/1a, GR-4, IDS, Electronic Warfare IDS, F-3 early, and F-3 late. the other two may be a GR-1B or if the recce versions are broken out as separate. It would be great to see some combined so the same box could do both a Marinefleiger IDs as well as a Granby GR-1.

Matt

£65! For a quarter-scale aircraft! And to think people complained about their A-10 coming in at just under £30 ... Is it made of gold, or something?

Edit: just read the other thread about Hobby Boss and spotted that Hannants' pre-order price is £38. That would be something of a miracle - a Far Eastern kit being more expensive in Japan than the UK. Or is it an effect of Japan's import duties?

Edited by pigsty

It was mentioned on ARC that it is Japanese import duties, but that doesn't explain why MMD and Stevens here Stateside pretty much are in step with Japanese pricing (divide yen by 100 = price in dollars, it has pretty much worked so far).

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

Hmmm i thought that the Hannants price of £38 was abit steep for a 1:48 Tornado but £65 and i really can`t see them shifting many of those!

Now if it was say around the £25-£35 mark then maybe people would be interesting in a few?

There will be an F-3/ADV just not yet. Keep watching the omnibus thread for when either myself or Paul gets wind of it.

You have to remember there SHOULD be probably 6-8 boxings of the basic Tornado possible, GR-1/1a, GR-4, IDS, Electronic Warfare IDS, F-3 early, and F-3 late. the other two may be a GR-1B or if the recce versions are broken out as separate. It would be great to see some combined so the same box could do both a Marinefleiger IDs as well as a Granby GR-1.

Matt

Cheers Matt,

Good news about the F3 - though not sure what differences there would be with an "early F3" or "late F3"? Do you mean F2? That WOULD be interesting!!!

And as for the RAF "Mud movers/concrete craterers" I suppose a lot depends on how many Hobbyboss think they COULD sell.....the only real difference between a GR1B and standard GR1 was the Sea Eagle missiles - in any event a pair of them would be very welcome!! Likewise they could easily put the additional parts for a '4 (or recce 4A) into the box for the '1 (or Recce 1A).

I'd be grateful for a box with ALL RAF weapons & stores used by the Tornado........that would need to be a BIG, BIG box!!! (though Revell made a good stab at doing just that in 1/72nd scale!!)

Hmmm i thought that the Hannants price of £38 was abit steep for a 1:48 Tornado but £65 and i really can`t see them shifting many of those!

Now if it was say around the £25-£35 mark then maybe people would be interesting in a few?

A lot will depend on what they actually put in the box, £38.00 may seem steep - but thats about the cost of Italeri's boxing of Kinetic's Sabre...

If its an all singing all dancing kit with decent stores, flaps/slats deployable, decent seats and 'pit etc., then £38 wouldn't be at all bad.....

Of course there is always the Italeri kit, thats a lot cheaper and not too bad -though I've spent more than £38 on after market bits for my still to be built GR1!

That may help put things into perspective when we see whats in the box!!

Cheers Matt,

Good news about the F3 - though not sure what differences there would be with an "early F3" or "late F3"? Do you mean F2? That WOULD be interesting!!!

I figure that the two F-3s would come down to markings and weapons fits. An 'early' F-3 with Skyflash and 'winders with 'Cold Warrior' era markings (maybe Saudi also) and a 'late' with AMRAAM and ASRAAM and post cold war markings (and maybe Italian ones in this boxing). It'd be great to have everything in one box but Hasegawa has left me jaded and figure that we'll see as many differant boxings as possible. Now I wonder if we'll see an EF-3 with Alarms!

The F-2...hmmm the only kit where the call out for weight in the nose would be appropriate AND prototypical!

Matt

A lot will depend on what they actually put in the box, £38.00 may seem steep - but thats about the cost of Italeri's boxing of Kinetic's Sabre...

If its an all singing all dancing kit with decent stores, flaps/slats deployable, decent seats and 'pit etc., then £38 wouldn't be at all bad.....

Of course there is always the Italeri kit, thats a lot cheaper and not too bad -though I've spent more than £38 on after market bits for my still to be built GR1!

That may help put things into perspective when we see whats in the box!!

Well ye i hadn`t thought about it like that but if its as Matt reports the $100 price mark then is it so appealing?

I`ve never bought or seen in the flesh what Hobbyboss kits are like so it maybe that I`ll look at this Tornado and think WOW that really is worth say £38 and probably buy say 2 or 3 but if the same great kit were £65 mark then I`d prob not touch it or if i did buy only one, surely this is something that I would hope the guys at Hobbyboss take into account?

I`d love to have new tool GR and F variant Tornado`s but if its a price i can`t afford then sadly they`ll be no good for me.

This could just be my penny pinching tight view but there again maybe its not, maybe my expectations are to high after being spoilt by Revells amazing value for money with their 1:72 Tornado?

Edited by Armadillos

I know new tooling is expensive and I know that oracles have to be worked to get a good price balance vs numbers likely to sell. I'll be charitable and say that £65 could be a reflection on increasing developmental costs, raw materials, the fickle stock markets etc...

At 30 quid I would have bought one, £65, nope, and I'm a big Tonka fan.

Over on the omnibus Hobbyboss/Trumpeter thread we mention that the Hannants price is shown at £38 this morning. The Japanese pricing was just the first price that I had seen (and I figure what MMD/Squadron will gouge us for in North America)

So figure under £40 as it now looks on that side of the pond.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=HB80353

Besides isn't Hannants one of the higher cost mail order shops in the UK? If so it probably won't take long for them to be found around £30, and besides we don't know the Hong Kong pricing yet, though recent threads have mentioned the gouging that the tax man gets you for when ordering from overseas.

Just nosing around between the SBX website here on BM the F-105 is £25.46 and Hannants has tehm for £29.99 - so perhaps the £38 is ONLY one shops price as of yet.

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

Yep, I'm with Jonathan here. However I reckon £25 - £30 with a full weapons fit and a decent kit that will not require aftermarket is a good deal. Above that, the cockpit better be Aires/Eduard standard and it glues itself together.

It will have to be spot on if any serous modellers are going to shell out that much for a 1/48th kit. I do hope they have got it right or the internet chat rooms wil tear the kit apart before they have a chance to sell many units or different boxings

Serious modellers will pay for the kit if it is correct. Define serious modellers. Spell serious right , if you are serious.

the internet chat rooms wil tear the kit apart

Yes, probably, but are they serious modellers? I seem to recall that the Airfix Spitfire XIX has got a serious bit of criticism as well. Not in the same price range, I agree, but criticism is still criticism, despite the price. Serious modellers (and others) still seem to be buying it.

Despite what the internet gliterati (ie the chat rooms) say, it will still probably be at the top of Hannants best sellers list. What is the alternative - Italeri (£18) plus aftermarket costing upwards of at least £20?

Hannants have quoted it at £38. Is that really too much for a 1/48 modern jet for serious modeller?

Tamiya F-16, listed at £37. Is that too much?

Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom FG-1, listed at £38. 20 year old kit. Is that too much?

If £38 is too much, you have several choices: 1. Don't buy it 2. Buy the alternatives I suggest 3. You have no 1/48 Tornado.

How much!

It will have to be spot on if any serous modellers are going to shell out that much for a 1/48th kit. I do hope they have got it right or the internet chat rooms wil tear the kit apart before they have a chance to sell many units or different boxings.

I'm hoping this will be an excellent kit, but having just built the HB A-10 I'm not too sure?, The A-10 is a nice kit but it's far from 100% acurate.

Shaun.

Even if it turns out to be an inaccurate debacle, it's still going to sell initially; just their other stuff has, as well as the majority of Kinetic kits. Major shape errors, poor quality levels, and over engineering have hurt some of those kits as far as long term sales go; something the Japanese learned a long time ago.

Hobby Boss's recent 48th A-7A certainly falls into the "nice try" category, as they messed up quite a bit in that one. That's quite a price to bare for some serious shape errors! Just hope the Tornado fairs much better, though I still think ROG could hit this one out of the park, just as they did the 32nd Typhoon!

Mike V

How much!

It will have to be spot on if any serous modellers are going to shell out that much for a 1/48th kit. I do hope they have got it right or the internet chat rooms wil tear the kit apart before they have a chance to sell many units or different boxings.

I'm hoping this will be an excellent kit, but having just built the HB A-10 I'm not too sure?, The A-10 is a nice kit but it's far from 100% acurate.

Shaun.

On this one, there's almost no alternative.

The price you pay for a Italeri with resin aftermaket to have a flaps/slats-down/decent cokpit/realistic fin Tornado, this price is near 38 GBP.

People just wants a modern Tonka.

And I think every person who one day, tackle a Italeri Tornado build, expects a modern alternative.

Edited by plasticguy

On this one, there's almost no alternative.

The price you pay for a Italeri with resin aftermaket to have a flaps/slats-down/decent cokpit/realistic fin Tornado, this price is near 38 GBP.

People just wants a modern Tonka.

And I think every person who one day, tackle a Italeri Tornado build, expects a modern alternative.

Totally agree. I will though wait to see what 's in the kit , how accurate it is and the price before I make my mind up too much...and if all else fails the Italeri kit is generally available....

Serious modellers will pay for the kit if it is correct. Define serious modellers. Spell serious right , if you are serious.

Yes, probably, but are they serious modellers? I seem to recall that the Airfix Spitfire XIX has got a serious bit of criticism as well. Not in the same price range, I agree, but criticism is still criticism, despite the price. Serious modellers (and others) still seem to be buying it.

Despite what the internet gliterati (ie the chat rooms) say, it will still probably be at the top of Hannants best sellers list. What is the alternative - Italeri (£18) plus aftermarket costing upwards of at least £20?

Hannants have quoted it at £38. Is that really too much for a 1/48 modern jet for serious modeller?

Tamiya F-16, listed at £37. Is that too much?

Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom FG-1, listed at £38. 20 year old kit. Is that too much?

If £38 is too much, you have several choices: 1. Don't buy it 2. Buy the alternatives I suggest 3. You have no 1/48 Tornado.

I was a little tired when I posted last night and did not read the Hannants pre order price, I was looking at the £65 posted earlier in the thread. :tapedshut:

Which did sound expencive!

Edited by Shaun

Even if it turns out to be an inaccurate debacle, it's still going to sell initially; just their other stuff has, as well as the majority of Kinetic kits. Major shape errors, poor quality levels, and over engineering have hurt some of those kits as far as long term sales go; something the Japanese learned a long time ago.

A thread on Tornado and we're back to the Kinetic F-16 again... :rolleyes:

A thread on Tornado and we're back to the Kinetic F-16 again... :rolleyes:

Just used as an "example", (good one at that) so please refrrame from making mountians out of molehills :smartass:

Edited by Mike V

How about we just stick to Tornado?

Sorry to go a little off topic,but as its all Hobby Boss it might be relevant. I bought this kit recently

amtrac.gif

and it cost £29.99. The box is absolutely stuffed to the gunwhales with beautifully moulded parts,including photo-etch and full interior. Now I have my foot in both camps,as I enjoy aircraft modelling equally as much.

It seems to me that the pricing structure for armour and aircraft is `a bit messed up` if they`re looking at £65 for a Tornado against a kit that you can`t put the lid back on if you don`t put the sprues back in properly. :hmmm:

Oops just noticed the amended price,..hic

Edited by Derwentsider