BAe Hawk Mk.120D BAe Systems Demonstrator 2008

Started 22 August 2009 - Completed 02 Sep 2009

BAe_Hawk_BAE_ZJ951_001.jpg

This is another of the new tooling from Airfix for 2009. Another quick construction build, with little filler required. After masking up the canopy, I laid down a primer coat of Tamiya XF-19 to check out any build errors I may have made. I had decided by this point I was not going to use the black decals provided, as I didn't feel confident enough in the application after my attempts with the Red Arrows boxing.

So I printed two scans of the decals and using a cheap lightbox, Tamiya masking tape and a new blade in my scalpel, I created masks instead. After I had painted the model with Tamiya XF-1 (Gloss Black), I sealed this in with 3 coats of Klear, and then applied my makeshift masks. Searching through my paints I found I did not have any Humbrol #53 (Gunmetal), so I used Tamiya X-10 (Gun Metal) which turned out to be a little too dark. I also applied the Humbrol #56 (Aluminium) which turned out to be very Matt. If I had known I would have added Klear when spraying. In the end it took about a further 3 coats of Klear to enable me to give the Aluminium area a Satin sheen suitable for decalling.

The decals I did use went on great, and were sealed with another coat of Klear. I removed the canopy masking, and then fitted the wing stores, antennas, attached the vertical stabs, and the tail and fuselage winglets. After applying some white decals to the canopy framing, I drilled some holes for the Airfix stand.

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_001.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_002.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_003.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_004.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_005.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_006.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen
Old link lost, substitute added
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments :cheers:

That looks fantastic, excellent paint job!

How did you get the det cord in the canopy done so neatly?

The canopy is similar to the 1/48 version, and the det cord is moulded into the inside as a recess. I liberally apply some Humbrol #166 (Lt Aircraft Grey) Acrylic into the recess, let it dry for about 10-15 minutes, then with a spit soaked qtip, wipe away the excess. Once happy, dip as usual into Klear and she is done.

Hi Andy,

lovely kit and just love that colour scheme, It is of no difference now but Humbrol 53 (Gunmetal) is more akin to Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey when it dries than it is to gunmetal. Try it next to Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal, you'll see what I mean!!!

Doug

Edited by Doug

The canopy is similar to the 1/48 version,

Oops sorry! I thought that was the 1/48 version. :blush:

Even more impressed that it's 1/72! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering how to paint the det cord on the 1/48 job I'm building so I'll try your method. Hope I make as nice a job of it. :speak_cool:

Thanks Andy!

I tried that tonight and it worked great. Very neat and clean looking.

Also, well done to Airfix for such a beautifully neat line on the det cord. It really is very nice.

I'll post some pics soon.

On 02/09/2009 at 5:18 PM, Andy Mullen said:

BAe Hawk 100 Series - Airfix [1/72]
Started 22 August 2009 - Completed 02 Sep 2009
BAe_Hawk_BAE_ZJ951_001.jpg

This is another of the new tooling from Airfix for 2009. Another quick construction build, with little filler required. After masking up the canopy, I laid down a primer coat of Tamiya XF-19 to check out any build errors I may have made. I had decided by this point I was not going to use the black decals provided, as I didn't feel confident enough in the application after my attempts with the Red Arrows boxing.

So I printed two scans of the decals and using a cheap lightbox, Tamiya masking tape and a new blade in my scalpel, I created masks instead. After I had painted the model with Tamiya XF-1 (Gloss Black), I sealed this in with 3 coats of Klear, and then applied my makeshift masks. Searching through my paints I found I did not have any Humbrol #53 (Gunmetal), so I used Tamiya X-10 (Gun Metal) which turned out to be a little too dark. I also applied the Humbrol #56 (Aluminium) which turned out to be very Matt. If I had known I would have added Klear when spraying. In the end it took about a further 3 coats of Klear to enable me to give the Aluminium area a Satin sheen suitable for decalling.

The decals I did use went on great, and were sealed with another coat of Klear. I removed the canopy masking, and then fitted the wing stores, antennas, attached the vertical stabs, and the tail and fuselage winglets. After applying some white decals to the canopy framing, I drilled some holes for the Airfix stand.

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_001.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_002.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_003.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_004.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_005.jpg

AX_BAe_Hawk_001_006.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen
Update broken image links
  • Like 3

Good job on a great kit with highly challenging decal scheme not only because of their size and shape but super critical positioning, the margin of error being tiny and it being a kit from an era when Airfix panel lines were? erm? substantial shall we say? Your solution turned out really well!  Nicely done, great subject, like it lots!

. . . Kes