F117 @**tehawk

Phartycr0c

So folks.. following completion of my buds F16, Im making a start on Revells 1/32 F117 Nighthawk of the 37th TFS as utilised on the opening night of Gulf war 1.

The kit itself is probably More than basic and its faults and forboils have been more than pointed out on many occasions. There are shape issues together with detail issues.

This beastie will be built with the addition of the Flightpath detail set which im hoping will enhance the overall kit although im aware that it will not totally correct her. (see im growing fond of it already)

I'm building this because the 117 has now retired and I thought it would be summat different. At least its NOT an Airfix F3!

This is whats in the box. Not including (obviously) the Fp kit..... Look at all that brass!

DSC_4139.jpg

20p piece to indicate the size of the problem!

DSC_4140.jpg

First thing for me to tackle is the incorrect opening of the bomb bay doors. The kit has em opening from centre out wheras in reality they open from the outside towards the centre. In addition, as its such a large bay, i will be detailing it up somewhat.

DSC_4141.jpg

The doors themselves

DSC_4142.jpg

Wish me luck!

Actually its the opposite. The overall length is correct but one of the many issues is that the facets from the main fuselage to the exhaust nozzles are too shallow an angle therefore too long which in turn foreshortens the actual top of the fuselage.

One other thing Iv'e discovered is that the aircraft depicted in the kit didn't take part in the initial Gulf War The aircraft shown is as either 790 or 828. 790 completed 30 operations during desert storm and was named Deadly Jester. unfortunately the markings provided are incorrect for the Gulf War deployment.

828 therefore will become 808 named Thor with some tidy hand painted "bomb bay door" art. 808 completed 37 combat missions during Desert Storm as part of Team Stealth.

Edited by Phartycr0c

Started one of these years ago...

The nose and upper fuselage facets are all wrong - and this makes the intakes and canopy wrong as well.

One day I will have another go - it is, after all - flat panels - so should be easily(??) scratchable with plastic sheet.

Cutting Edge did some decals - not sure if Dave Claus is selling any through his 'last chance to buy' promotion...

Iain

You can pretty much build the kit with the decals you have for it - just do a variation on the tail tops for different units. The badges were not always put on the airframes. If you have any decent reference books on the Ghost it should help. As for the Flightpath Set is was designed and made using one of the early airframes from the project. The bombbay was modified and changed several times during its operational career. By the by no two airframes from the 117 production are identical. These we are all individually built kinda like the Jaguar Car.

Shoot me a line if you want to and I'll see if I can find some stuff that might help.

You can pretty much build the kit with the decals you have for it - just do a variation on the tail tops for different units. The badges were not always put on the airframes. If you have any decent reference books on the Ghost it should help. As for the Flightpath Set is was designed and made using one of the early airframes from the project. The bombbay was modified and changed several times during its operational career. By the by no two airframes from the 117 production are identical. These we are all individually built kinda like the Jaguar Car.

Shoot me a line if you want to and I'll see if I can find some stuff that might help.

My concern is that Testors decals are sh*te. More silver than Mannings amusement arcade on a Bank Holiday!

Yes the "Wobbling Goblin" was retired last year.

Well,i'll be damned,i didn't know that,either !!

(Wasn't it supposed to be ahead of it's time??)

Cheers,Bazza.

Well,i'll be damned,i didn't know that,either !!

(Wasn't it supposed to be ahead of it's time??)

Cheers,Bazza.

It was sacked as it's mode of stealth was outdated by the likes of the B2, Raptor and F35. In addition the budget for the F117 some B52 and the prowler (i Think) were diverted in favour of these (ironically) flawed projects. B2 excepted of course.

Dont think there are any other 1/32 F117 decals on the market so im pretty much stuffed!

I've got the Cutting Edge "Stars n Stripes" decals for this kit and an Aires resin Bang seat that are up for grabs. Just off loaded the kit on evilbay along with the flightpath set.

I've got the Cutting Edge "Stars n Stripes" decals for this kit and an Aires resin Bang seat that are up for grabs. Just off loaded the kit on evilbay along with the flightpath set.

M8, ill definitely take the decals but I already have a resin seat for this Pm inbound.

Ok a little work done around the bomb bay which as i said is completely devoid of detail. Not only that but the doors are depicted as opening from the centre out when this is wrong.

In order to chuck in a little detail, and in the absence of some completely clear bomb bay detail photos, I have cobbled together a central bulkhead and a little piping which will be used to mount the doors.

DSC_4151.jpg

DSC_4153.jpg

DSC_4154.jpg

Now as a result of adding the bulkhead I have obviously reduced the space available, therefore I couldn't resist a little test measure of these superb resin GBU's notwithstanding, when finished will be hanging off the extended trapeze pylons.

DSC_4155.jpg

and now a quick mock up of the door setup....... I will be adding some further hinge and hydraulic actuator detail later.

DSC_4156.jpg

DSC_4157.jpg

Iv'e also got a couple of brass vents left over from another build which will be going into the bays if they can fit after the trapeze pylons are done. Anyhow that's all for now some more tomorrow hopefully.

Making some nice progress there Pharty

braindead at times :banghead:

Have the Aerofax/file or some such on the F1117

will dig it out and see if there are any Bomb bay pics if it isn't too late

sure it had some pics

Ditto - I have a book called 'Team Stealth' somewhere - will see if I can find it...

Iain

Here is a small update. Ive started the job of "working the brass". Its obvious that my experiences with the Flightpath Tornado kit has paid dividends.

I was absolutely dreading construction of the three piece canopy but i got the iron and flux out and had a go.. Superglue was in reserve.

Well I nailed the joints almost first time. At that point I went into shock and partook of a scotch.

DSC_4160.jpg

Following that revelation I had a go at the Flir box and cut away the front of the old oversize flir.

Already the Flightpath kit has made a massive difference to the shape of the front end.

DSC_4159.jpg

DSC_4158.jpg

Next is the nightmare of the completely mis shapen intakes. Major surgery here we come!