Mike's 1:48 Dynavector Sea Vixen

Mike

I made a snidey start on this one yesterday or the day before (I forget now).

I'll forego the box shot, and skip straight to the parts in their various stages of cut-outness:

parts1.jpg

Here they are 20 minutes later out of the backing material:

parts2.jpg

And here they are another 2 hours later after I'd sanded away all the excess backing sheet & taped the main parts together to check fit:

parts3.jpg

I didn't like the look of the flimsy cockpit shell, and I'm not the biggest fan of the white metal parts that are supplied to busy up the area, and yes, I know that it's all black, so not a helluva lot will be seen, but I just can't leave it! :frantic: I also added a circular bulkhead at the radome join and some tabs on the fuselage, just to make it easier to click-fit the two halves together while I'm doing the cockpit.

I measured and built up the basic shell of the cockpit last night while I was chatting to MikeR on MSN, and have been scouting about for refs today while I muck about strengthening the new part & piddle about with a master I'm making up of something else ;)

I'll post a pic of the new 'pit shell in a minute... kit boxes everywhere at the moment :wacko:

How's the keyboard? :winkgrin:

Not half as dusty as it was last night! :lol:

I got kind of frustrated with the sanding of the trailing edges of the wings & cheated... dug out the Dremel and a sanding drum :wicked: It made short work of those thick trailing edges & left me with a nice rough cut skinny edge that I finished off with some sanding sticks. Not for the feint hearted though! :mental:

Good luck with this one Mike!

Hey, did you get this off eBay? My son sold a Sea Vixen on my behalf some time ago and I was just thinking.

Yeh, fold the wings, fold the wings!!

Looking forward to more.

Jon

:)

I didn't like the look of the flimsy cockpit shell, and I'm not the biggest fan of the white metal parts that are supplied to busy up the area, and yes, I know that it's all black, so not a helluva lot will be seen, but I just can't leave it! :frantic: I also added a circular bulkhead at the radome join and some tabs on the fuselage, just to make it easier to click-fit the two halves together while I'm doing the cockpit.

You might have been a bit quick of the mark with this one Mike?

Once the Airfix One hits the shelves I presume there will be a lot of aftermarket stuff about for it!!!! (however I would have waited for the injection kit anyway!)

Good luck with the build, looking good so far.

Dave

You might have been a bit quick of the mark with this one Mike?

Once the Airfix One hits the shelves I presume there will be a lot of aftermarket stuff about for it!!!! (however I would have waited for the injection kit anyway!)

Good luck with the build, looking good so far.

Dave

Precisely why I'm building it now :)

here's the replacement cockpit shell on the right... so far I've just replicated what was provided, with a view to adapting and changing it as I research the details from the photos I've got so far. It's just 1mm styrene sheet, with some 2mm square rod for strengthing.

cockpit1.jpg

Now for the poring over pictures :nerd:

Not wasting any time on this one are ya dude?

That makes a change doesnt it :whistle::wicked:

:sorry: Boss :wub:

Looking good so far Mike, I have yet to tinker with a Vac Form, I will do one day (maybe :analintruder: )

:popcorn: & :beer: at the ready :thumbsup2:

Bexy

Not wasting any time on this one are ya dude? I am really interested in seeing all come together. What markings are you doing anyway? Will you cover the intakes or go full depth?

I've got the Cooper Details ones, which I picked up from Lee (Regulus) at Telford. Should be good, and from looking at refs, all they need are a few panel lines inside... like I'm going to bother! :lol:

Markings will either be from the kit, or part of the Ark Royal airwing decal sheet I've got :)

Looking good so far Mike, I have yet to tinker with a Vac Form, I will do one day (maybe :analintruder: )

Where d'ya think you've been? :hmmm:

Vacforms are great... I just love 'em ^_^ Plenty of opportunity to use your lolly sticks ;)

Where d'ya think you've been? :hmmm:

Vacforms are great... I just love 'em ^_^ Plenty of opportunity to use your lolly sticks ;)

We forgot the Broadband bill before we went away, and came home skint and found no broadband :doh: However, all sorted now, just in time to watch you build this beastie to grab a few tips & tricks :thumbsup2:

Bexy

We forgot the Broadband bill before we went away, and came home skint and found no broadband :doh: However, all sorted now, just in time to watch you build this beastie to grab a few tips & tricks :thumbsup2:

Bexy

Oooh poop. That's the kind of thing I'd do too, which is why I purt everything on Direct Debit ;)

• 2 months later...

apologies for my ignorance here but how much does the sea vixen cost (in pounds) when bought directly from japan?? i have only seen the price in yen so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

hazza

apologies for my ignorance here but how much does the sea vixen cost (in pounds) when bought directly from japan?? i have only seen the price in yen so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

hazza

hazza,

The current spot exchange rate 1 GBP = 149.324 JPY so the price quoted on the Dynavector site of 6500 JPY for the Sea Vixen is GBP 43.53

HTH,

Ian

Okay let me see if I can watch this one, I've never really seen a vacform go together

Hi Mish,

As well as Mike's, if you follow the link in my signature you can have a look at my Dynavector TSR.2 and the Dynavector Javelin FAW.9 that I'm working on at the moment.

Vac forms are great :)

Karl

Go on, fold the wings, you know you want to!

Dont listen to him Mike, 'e Knows nowt!!!!!!! :bleh:

and have been scouting about for refs today

Don't forget the refs I left with ya!!!!!!

2 Sea Vixen refs in that little lot. :deadhorse:

Chris.