1/100 scale ?

Dave T

Kingkit have both the B-52D and F listed amongst their fifty 1/100 kits. I didn't realise there was as much out there as there is, but I don't think either of those will be my first dabble in the scale.

Was there any difference in the plastic? I was under the impression it was just a different box, but the plastic inside was always a D. Did they do the oil cooler intakes and the compressor bullets in the intakes??

The answer in the following link:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~tamiya/zeppan/b52f/

And if you can't be bothered to click

B-52F_sprue.jpg

Edited by Panoz

• 10 months later...

Faller

F-4K/M

I'm not aware of a Faller F-4K/M - they did somehing that looked like a B, with German markings for an AG 51 RF-4E. This was probably the last aircraft subject they kitted.

The Revell Transall is, BTW, not "their own Jurassic 1/96 kit", but a 1/100 Heller original.

No one so far has mentioned Lincoln (later Kader), who also did a number of kits that apparently are quite close to 1/96 (Canberra, DC-3).

Roskopf had a range of kits coming variously from Tamiya (e.g. F-104G), Heller ( a lot - C-160, Puma, Gazelle, Alouette II), an as-yet-unidentified Japanese producer (Mannen ?, Sunny ? - F-14, F-15, MiG-25), plus their own moulds - Do 28, F-4F (NOT Tamiya E reboxed), RF-4E, 109G, CH-34 (reportedly reworked Faller), DFS 230...

A number of Starfix-originated tools (F-4B, H-19, MiG-21) were sold in Heller boxes for a period ca. 1973.

The Revell Transall is, BTW, not "their own Jurassic 1/96 kit", but a 1/100 Heller original.

my mistake. :oops: Anyway it's terrible. (Heavily riveted, raised French roundels on the wings and fuselage à la Aurora, etc).

Still I got everything else right. :smartass:

I too remember making an A6 Intruder by Tamiya in about 1972 and I recall they made an RF-4E with Luftwaffe markings. I know there were more but can only remeber the Saudi Lightning with its over wing fuel tanks.

I'm not aware of a Faller F-4K/M - they did somehing that looked like a B, with German markings for an AG 51 RF-4E. This was probably the last aircraft subject they kitted.

No one so far has mentioned Lincoln (later Kader), who also did a number of kits that apparently are quite close to 1/96 (Canberra, DC-3).

Roskopf had a range of kits coming variously from Tamiya (e.g. F-104G), Heller ( a lot - C-160, Puma, Gazelle, Alouette II), an as-yet-unidentified Japanese producer (Mannen ?, Sunny ? - F-14, F-15, MiG-25), plus their own moulds - Do 28, F-4F (NOT Tamiya E reboxed), RF-4E, 109G, CH-34 (reportedly reworked Faller), DFS 230...

A number of Starfix-originated tools (F-4B, H-19, MiG-21) were sold in Heller boxes for a period ca. 1973.

I've built the Lincoln Canberra, about 6 years ago. No doubt the reason why this particular kit had never been assembled in the preceding 50 years or so (and was on sale at a reasonable price) was that one rear fuselage half, including fin and rudder, was missing. As you might expect, it's very crude - low part count, no undercarriage or wheel wells, solid cockpit and (IIRC) etched markings, all compounded by thick, brittle plastic. However, accuracy-wise, it's actually not bad. Yes, it is around 1/96 - 1/100 and a decent match for the Frog or Lindberg V-bombers.

I too remember making an A6 Intruder by Tamiya in about 1972 and I recall they made an RF-4E with Luftwaffe markings. I know there were more but can only remeber the Saudi Lightning with its over wing fuel tanks.

You recall wrongly. Tamiya had an E and a K/M - the RF was, to my knowledge, a version only done by Roskopf, and a mould of their own.

You recall wrongly. Tamiya had an E and a K/M - the RF was, to my knowledge, a version only done by Roskopf, and a mould of their own.

Aha! Then I obviously have got it wrong tempestian...I never got my grubby mitts on one but just remember seeing a Luftwaffe variant. The A6 was a gem and if I've got it right, it was the first Tamiya a/c I built.

Thanks for the correction. :)

EDIT: It's all coming back...oh no! I also made the Starfighter in Luftwaffe colours. Thanks again, that little factoid would have been lost to memory if I hadn't strained a bit. Now, did I make any more... :hmmm:

Edited by Nobby57

I have been asked a few times by R/C ship modellers about 1/96 or 1/100 helicopters, particularly Lynx or Merlins, as many of them build warships in that scale. Even if Revell released that Sea King again, it would be good to have something positive to tell them.

Aha! Then I obviously have got it wrong tempestian...I never got my grubby mitts on one but just remember seeing a Luftwaffe variant. The A6 was a gem and if I've got it right, it was the first Tamiya a/c I built.

Thanks for the correction. :)

There was another E/F kit to 1/87 that most recently was available by Roco, some 20 years or so ago. This appears to be an older mould, and may once have been available in an AHM boxing. Alas, no RF, I think. I fully agree re the A-6 as a gem - most of the Minijets were.

Regarding 1/100 choppers, Revell once boxed a series of Hawks including an SH-60B. Those kits were also sold as Accurate Miniatures for a time and are possibly Ace (from South Korea) tooling.

Many if not all of the Tamiya kits reboxed by Revell in the mid 80s had "Made in W. Germany" on their sprues. Can anyone confirm whether this was deleted or replaced on the later Ben and Tamiya (I think many of the Minijets were re-released some years ago by Tamiya) issues ?

And on a final note - I understand Ben commissioned some new moulds, I think I have read about an F-15E and A-10. Were those kits - if they existed - also re-released by Tamiya after Ben had returned the Tamiya moulds (assuming the moulds were actual Tamiya tooling) ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And on a final note - I understand Ben commissioned some new moulds, I think I have read about an F-15E and A-10. Were those kits - if they existed - also re-released by Tamiya after Ben had returned the Tamiya moulds (assuming the moulds were actual Tamiya tooling) ?

The A-10 certainly existed - I have one!

There was also an F-20 in the same series as the A-10. I can't recall the manufacturer, but it was tied in with a Japanese comic (manga?) series. Seems like there were some other a/c kitted in the same series. They were not related to the Tamiya kits. They were much later vintage.

• Like 1

There was also an F-20 in the same series as the A-10. I can't recall the manufacturer, but it was tied in with a Japanese comic (manga?) series. Seems like there were some other a/c kitted in the same series. They were not related to the Tamiya kits. They were much later vintage.

That was by Takara; for details of the range check my earlier post (#40) on this thread.

The A-10 mentioned above was also by Takara not Ben.

Ben did four F-15 kits (C, J, D/DJ & E) which wouldn't surprise me if they were also tooled by Takara.

Don't you people read any of the earlier posts? No point repeating the same things again & again... :rolleyes:

Apologies for mis-assigning the A-10 to Ben - as Revell didn't rebox it (back then in the late 80s) and the Takaras appear to have never been officially imported to Germany, I have never seen one.

Faller had some 23 aircraft subjects in all, I believe. Fitting roughly into the cold war bracket are:

Do 27

Sikorsky H-34

YF-84F

F-104

F-4

Vertol 107

Matador

Viscount

Cv 440

Noratlas

Caravelle

Piper Cub (in Geiger and Burda boxings)

HKS-3 (?) Glider

Klemm 107

V-1/V-2 set if you stretch it a bit

• Like 1

They are Takara too, the series was Area 88. I have the F-20 but it is the Revell boxing

• 10 months later...

There's even a Harvard available in 1/100 and it's a nice little kit. I very nearly launched a range of 96/100 kits some years ago as the size fitted my injection machines and it's a favorite scale of mine. I still have some of the patterns I started such as the Lincoln, Canberra and Meteors. A Meteor span is about 4.1/2" and a Varsity around 12" with the Lincoln at a massive 15".

John

Hi John, do it now, go on, do it, you know you want to, do it.

I can remember talking to you on this subject round about the time you were thinking about it. You gave a couple of talks to the Leicester IPMS branch & I took every chance I could to bend your ears on the subject. I realise that there must be a market for any commercial product and whilst this thread has shown a surprising amount of support & interest in this scale it would still be a step into the unknown, but I bet if you were to release a state of the art 1/100 Lincoln it would cause quite a stir. Anyway glad to get that off my chest, shall now fade back into the shadows with fingers firmly crossed

• Like 1

No great loss...B-52F is SUPER rare.

The B-52D was in regular production back in the 90s while the -F model has never been reissued

(At least by Tamiya themselves;.Ben might have done so in the 80s???) :unsure:

Got an F on the bench now, lovely kit but decals shot so will have to adopt adapt & improve I'm afraid. The D shows up every now & again but as far as I'm aware Ben have never produced it.

Was there any difference in the plastic? I was under the impression it was just a different box, but the plastic inside was always a D. Did they do the oil cooler intakes and the compressor bullets in the intakes??

Yes