1/100 scale ?

Dave T

I feel that 1/100 scale (and its close relative, 1/96 scale) aircraft models are all too often a much neglected and underestimated scale. I am looking for some models in this scale (1/100) - particularly the Tamiya originated kits (the British Phantom, Saab Viggen, Buccaneer and Il-28 in particular). I shall kkep an eye out for such kits ;) .

Derek

Just save a search on e-bay Derek, they appear regularly. I've just run my saved Tamiya 1/100 search & there's 31 kits listed on e-bay uk now, including a Buccaneer, but that one is in Hong Kong so the postage is a bit high. The Brit Phantom does still appear though not as frequently as most!

Keef

Not sure if this belongs in 'Cold War', but following on from the Frog 1/96 V-force thread, it has me wondering how many kits there are in 1/96 or 1/100 scale.

I can think of Tamiya's Buccaneer (Revell also ?), Novo did a Lancaster, i think it was Doyusha did some airliners such as Concorde and Tu-144, and wasn't the VEB Plasticart Tu-95 Bear a similiar scale ?

Any more ? Over to you..... :worthy:

This is what I have in my stash, hope the list helps with your search

Tamiya 1/100

A-7E

A-6A

A-4E

AV-8A

KV-107

Sea King

F-105

F-4K/M

F-4E

F104G

F=86F/MiG-15

MiG-19

Me262/Me163

Buccaneer

Lightning F-6

SkyCrane

UH-1E

Viggen

B-52D

Forgot about these:-

Mirage 111C

Mig 21PF

Revell 1/100

MH-60

SH-60

AV-8A/GR.3

F-8E

Kfir C-2

F-20

Sea King

F-100D

B-58

F-27

Transall

Ben 1/100

F-4E

F-4EJ

F-104G

F-104J

A-4M

A-7E

Draken

Takara

F-100D

F-8E

A-10A (Best 1/100 scale kit)

AV-8A/GR.3

Monogram 1/100

F-101

SR-71 (1/110)

Heller 1/100

Jaguar A

Jaguar B

Jaguar M

Atlantic

Vautour

Super Mystere

Alize

Doyusha 1/100

DC.3

Nitto 1/100

E-3A

Hobby Craft

747-300

Faller

F-4K/M

VEB 1/100

IL-18

TU-20

An-12

An-24

Trident (1/85, don't believe what it says on the box!)

Unknown Manufacturer 1/100

F-117

F-5A

F-14

F-15

Acadamy 1/100

F-14

F-15

Frog 1/96

Victor

Vulcan

Valliant

Novo 1/96 Ex-Frog

Lancaster

Comet

Caravelle

Eastern Express 1/96 Ex-Frog

Britania

Starfix 1/96

F-4E

Glencoe 1/96

Viscount 700

Lindberg 1/100

F-80

Victor (1/96)

Edited by Blacktjet
  • Like 1

No, they both have their good points, I am kit bashing the two together - the Faller has a nicer canopy.

Cool! Will you post pics of it when you're done please? Who'd have thought two companies would do British Tooms in 1/100??!!

Keef

I feel that 1/100 scale (and its close relative, 1/96 scale) aircraft models are all too often a much neglected and underestimated scale. I am looking for some models in this scale (1/100) - particularly the Tamiya originated kits (the British Phantom, Saab Viggen, Buccaneer and Il-28 in particular). I shall kkep an eye out for such kits ;) .

Derek

The Viggen was quite a nice little kit of the prototype, IIRC, same airframe as the Airfix 1/72 kit. The Draken was reportedly a bit "over-inflated".

The Il-28 had a good choice of markings, at least 4 alternatives.

John

Revell 1/100

MH-60

SH-60

AV-8A/GR.3

F-8E

Kfir C-2

F-20

Sea King

F-100D

B-58

F-27

Transall

Intresting list for Revell

I'm assuming their Sea King is the same plastic as the Tamiya

The Fokker F-27 is likely old Doyusha mouldings. I did have a 1/100 F-27 for a while and it was from Doyusha.

I wonder of the Revell 1/100 B-58 was true 1/100 or their older box scale kit trying to pass for 1/100?

Edited by upnorth

Intresting list for Revell

I'm assuming their Sea King is the same plastic as the Tamiya

The Fokker F-27 is likely old Doyusha mouldings. I did have a 1/100 F-27 for a while and it was from Doyusha.

I wonder of the Revell 1/100 B-58 was true 1/100 or their older box scale kit trying to pass for 1/100?

Sea king is Tamiya, the F.27 is early Revell -might be 1/96, mine is KLM (not up to Doyusha quality but OK ) and the B-58 I have is bang-on 1/100 (I think the instructions state it is 1/97) and a nice kit for its age. Revell have boxed two B-58 kits over the years, their own and a Monogram (Aurora?) one (1/75?)

Edited by Blacktjet

Re-visited the B-58 and you are correct, I must have got a dodgy spec. when I scaled it the first time around! The instructions say it is 1/91 and the span works out at 1/91 and the fuselage 1/92

A collector once told me that Tamiya did a 1/100 C-130, anyone else know anything about this?

Edited by Blacktjet

• 3 years later...

Interesting topic, this. I've recently added a few kits to the stash in 1/100. Picked up a B-52F and a Buccaneer, both fairly cheaply. Still can't believe I missed a B-52D on eBay for 99p, a little while ago! Most of the Tamiya kits are quite nice, and build up to a useful shelf-size, for the middling to larger subject. Anyone know if the VEB Plasticart Draken is related to the Tamiya one?

Interesting (?) side note on the Tamiya 1/100 series of the early 1970s - the gentleman who designed that whole series is the same person behind the 1/144 Sweet kits. He retired from Tamiya circa around Y2K and started Sweet as a retirement project. Very nice gentleman ;)

A collector once told me that Tamiya did a 1/100 C-130, anyone else know anything about this?

Positively not true.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Takara did some as part of a series of kits from a comic strip - AV-8A and Yak-38 were two I wanted but never found

You were looking for the wrong brand.

Revell Germany reboxed the lot in the late 80s/early 90s (after they reissued the Tamiya ones as previously mentioned).

Former Takara Kits reboxed by Revell were (the list previously posted is incomplete):

F-100D

Yak-38

F-20

A-4M

F-8E

Kfir C2

AV-8A

I built all of them back then (as well as many of the Tamiya ones).

Takara also did a A-10 and a MiG-27, but I never saw them in a Revell box.

Cracking little kits. No interior detail to speak of but excellent engraved panel lines, very good fit of parts and extras in the form of ground support equpment and ground crew.

They were followed by a number of helicopter kits (all released circa 1991/92):

AH-1G

UH-1D

Mi-24D

AH-64A

UH-60A

HH-60D

SH-60B

Never even opened the box of any of those, so no idea if they're good or not... :hmmm:

PS. The Revell F-27 is their own Jurassic 1/96th scale kit. Ditto for the C-160.

Edited by Panoz

Interesting topic, this. I've recently added a few kits to the stash in 1/100. Picked up a B-52F and a Buccaneer, both fairly cheaply. Still can't believe I missed a B-52D on eBay for 99p, a little while ago!

No great loss...B-52F is SUPER rare.

The B-52D was in regular production back in the 90s while the -F model has never been reissued

(At least by Tamiya themselves;.Ben might have done so in the 80s???) :unsure:

Edited by Panoz

The Tamiya 1/100 Lightning F6 is a little gem - I picked one up at a show for a fiver and it built really well, though I had to raid the spares for alternative decals and stencilling, because the kit ones were so bad.

Since I love building Lightnings, it had to be done.

Continuing on the 1/100 scale theme, nobody so far has mentioned the Heller "Cadet" heli-kits.

They did an Alouette III, a Puma & I think an Alouette II.

No idea if they're any good but they usually go for silly money on Ebay so they might be decent.... :hmmm:

You were looking for the wrong brand.

Revell Germany reboxed the lot in the late 80s/early 90s (after they reissued the Tamiya ones as previously mentioned).

Former Takara Kits reboxed by Revell were (the list previously posted is incomplete):

F-100D

Yak-38

F-20

A-4M

F-8E

Kfir C2

AV-8A

Can't beleive I missed that, it's in our Kitography! Must search ebay!

Edited by Dave Fleming

Continuing on the 1/100 scale theme, nobody so far has mentioned the Heller "Cadet" heli-kits.

They did an Alouette III, a Puma & I think an Alouette II.

No idea if they're any good but they usually go for silly money on Ebay so they might be decent.... :hmmm:

I have the Puma, Gazelle (which they also did) and Alouette II - nice kits, if a little basic. the Alouette framework is rather thick, but you wouldn't expect anything else!

There's even a Harvard available in 1/100 and it's a nice little kit. I very nearly launched a range of 96/100 kits some years ago as the size fitted my injection machines and it's a favorite scale of mine. I still have some of the patterns I started such as the Lincoln, Canberra and Meteors. A Meteor span is about 4.1/2" and a Varsity around 12" with the Lincoln at a massive 15".

John

No great loss...B-52F is SUPER rare.

The B-52D was in regular production back in the 90s while the -F model has never been reissued

(At least by Tamiya themselves;.Ben might have done so in the 80s???) :unsure:

Was there any difference in the plastic? I was under the impression it was just a different box, but the plastic inside was always a D. Did they do the oil cooler intakes and the compressor bullets in the intakes??

Was there any difference in the plastic? I was under the impression it was just a different box, but the plastic inside was always a D. Did they do the oil cooler intakes and the compressor bullets in the intakes??

No idea...only seen the -D.

But would people pay collector's prices just for a different box and decals??? :hmmm:

Maybe someone that has both could compare them.