F-4J (UK) Phantom

Shaun

May I ask when the jets were repainted, did the intake demarcation line between grey/white move further aft to the FGR.2 position, i.e in line with the wing beginning? I've seen photos of newly delivered jets with white up to the intake front, but cannot exactly tell where it stops on repainted machines. Cheers for any help, David.

Edit, Additionally I am currently building an F-4J with the model decals which contain very few stencils. I have an airdoc grey FGR.2 stencil sheet and was wondering to what extent the stencils were applied to repainted f-4j's? To my eye it seems a few, but not complete stencils were applied in comparison to fully stencils Grey RAFG FGR.2s.

cheers, David.

Edited by mirageiv

May I ask when the jets were repainted, did the intake demarcation line between grey/white move further aft to the FGR.2 position, i.e in line with the wing beginning? I've seen photos of newly delivered jets with white up to the intake front, but cannot exactly tell where it stops on repainted machines. Cheers for any help, David.

Edit, Additionally I am currently building an F-4J with the model decals which contain very few stencils. I have an airdoc grey FGR.2 stencil sheet and was wondering to what extent the stencils were applied to repainted f-4j's? To my eye it seems a few, but not complete stencils were applied in comparison to fully stencils Grey RAFG FGR.2s.

cheers, David.

I think its a mater of trying to find a photo of the aircraft you're modelling and go with that! Of course you can always add the very handy for hiding intake trunking get out, and add the FOD covers (I am on my Academy conversion!) . Stencils seem to have been applied to the re-painted aircraft similarly to the FGR2...the Modeldecal sheet specifically covers all F4J(UK)s on delivery - hence the lack of stencils

• Like 1

I will do just that, I have found a semi decent image on the walk around section of this site and it shows the grey goes into the intake like the fgr.2 scheme. Is it the new 1/72 academy kit? Anyways thank you for the help :). Regards, David.

• 2 weeks later...

cheers, David.

Hi David,

Found the following pic which you may find helpful.

001_zpsa93c6f45.jpg

74`s J`s were repainted in the RAF standard A/D scheme when they went through deep maintenance at St Athen.

However not all the J`s did this, so there was a few that retained their `duck egg blue` until retirement.

• Like 6

On 16/04/2015 at 00:33, tc2324 said:

Hi David,

Found the following pic which you may find helpful.

74`s J`s were repainted in the RAF standard A/D scheme when they went through deep maintenance at St Athen.

However not all the J`s did this, so there was a few that retained their `duck egg blue` until retirement.

What a great shot, is that ZE355/"S" by any chance, I came across a photo of her with the brown radome, and it's in this scheme I'm currently building my Academy kit....handy to have the crew names!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/11045441_10152914525600208_6486215598709967193_o.jpg?dl=1

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

All,

I'm pulling together all the bits to start a 1/32 F-4J(UK) from the Tamiya kit having dropped the plan to Britishify it after KHM made their announcement. I would like to make the colour scheme a bit more interesting within the confines of the limited schemes available for the UK J and found this photo on the website www.f4phantoms.co.uk

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah48/Tregonce/image_zpsqe9dakaf.jpeg

What do you, the assembled masses, make of the leading edge colour?

My take is a replacement LE slat in yellow zinc chromate but could it be ID markings for an exercise?

All suggestions welcome.

Dave

All,

I'm pulling together all the bits to start a 1/32 F-4J(UK) from the Tamiya kit having dropped the plan to Britishify it after KHM made their announcement. I would like to make the colour scheme a bit more interesting within the confines of the limited schemes available for the UK J and found this photo on the website www.f4phantoms.co.uk

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah48/Tregonce/image_zpsqe9dakaf.jpeg

What do you, the assembled masses, make of the leading edge colour?

My take is a replacement LE slat in yellow zinc chromate but could it be ID markings for an exercise?

All suggestions welcome.

Dave

I built that actual model a few years ago, in 1/48th using the Hasegawa Showtime 100 kit. There's another photo of her that was published..... ZE350/T I think, showing it a bit better.I painted the slat in zinc chromate yellow. This was the only airframe that had the ECM pods on the intakes removed...

Edit: here's a link to a few photo's posted on ARC a long, long time ago.......

http://www.arcair.com/Fea1/401-500/Fea470-F-4J-Clark/00.shtm

Edited by Bill Clark

• 3 months later...

Well my 1/32 F-4J(UK) is proceeding at a glacial pace but I am nearing the point of applying some paint and finalising the scheme. I have been trawling the 'net and found this picture of ZE352/G with interesting markings on the port intake, anyone got a clearer picture?

Airliners.net picture removed

Taken at Kleine Brogel in 1988 and used for illustrative purposes only. As well as the intake markings, panels behind the radome have been repainted in standard RAF greys so more interest.

I looked for more pictures and may have found another factoid. My understanding is that only three airframes, ZE356 (Q) - ZE360 (O) - ZE361 (P) were repainted in standard RAF colours, Barley Grey, Medium Sea Grey & Light Aircraft Grey, in April 1988. But this photo,

image_zpsal9xnskj.jpeg

seems to show that ZE352 also had a repaint. She even has an "old colour" radome to illustrate the point.

Any comments?

Edited by Greg B

I`m not sure there is a `definitive` list of all the J`s that were repainted in standard AD grey.

However if you can find out which airframes went through a major overhaul through St Athans, then that would be a good start as any that went through were repainted.

Interesting to see ZE352/G with that replacement panel though.

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Jetgrob said:

The Revel F4J is this a new kit?

How accurate is it.

Want to do a 74 squadron aircraft.

Thanks for the help!

It's the old Monogram kit from the late 70s/early80s. Raised panel lines, but includes the RHAW antennae for the intakes. From distant memory, it was pretty accurate, but I preferred the ESCI kit at the time.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/previews/am/0411.htm

http://www.modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/us/usn/72monf4j.htm

• Like 1

On 2015-04-16 at 11:30 AM, AnonymousAA72 said:

What a great shot, is that ZE355/"S" by any chance, I came across a photo of her with the brown radome, and it's in this scheme I'm currently building my Academy kit....handy to have the crew names!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/11045441_10152914525600208_6486215598709967193_o.jpg?dl=1

I doubt that is brown, more likely a faded black radome. I know it looks to be brown.

On 12/15/2016 at 6:48 PM, Dave Fleming said:

It's the old Monogram kit from the late 70s/early80s. Raised panel lines, but includes the RHAW antennae for the intakes. From distant memory, it was pretty accurate, but I preferred the ESCI kit at the time.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/previews/am/0411.htm

http://www.modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/us/usn/72monf4j.htm

Thanks Dave

I thought it might be the Monogram kit.

Pity it isn't a new mold, would have been nice.

• 1 month later...

Whats the reason that there where so many different painted Phantoms in UK? Liberal regulations or regulations that no one respected?

I am glad that it is so because it is an goldmine for an modellbuilder with so many different painted aircrafts. But one wonder whats the history was behind so many different painted aircrafts (compared to the Luftwaffe Phantom's during the same period or even the US Navy, Marine and Air Force).

Cheers / André

42 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Whats the reason that there where so many different painted Phantoms in UK? Liberal regulations or regulations that no one respected?

I am glad that it is so because it is an goldmine for an modellbuilder with so many different painted aircrafts. But one wonder whats the history was behind so many different painted aircrafts (compared to the Luftwaffe Phantom's during the same period or even the US Navy, Marine and Air Force).

Cheers / André

Operated for a long time and used by many different squadrons in different roles?

Each squadron has its own markings hence the variety

Edited by Wez

On 18 February 2017 at 11:55 AM, Andre B said:

Cheers / André

RAF Phantoms were originally delivered in dark grey and dark green topsides with light aircraft grey undersides; Royal Navy Phantoms were in extra dark sea grey ( we have had a conversation about that already😏)with white undersides. Initially the RAF Aircraft had red white and blue roundals and fin flashes and were glossy. This later changed to red and blue roundals and a matter finish. In the late 1970s experiments started to try an overall grey on RAF Phantoms, initially using light aircraft grey with full colour markings then toned down pink markings. This finally ended up as light aircraft grey undersides, medium sea grey inner upper wings and Barley grey outer upper wing panels and fuselage. Unit markings were initially toned down but towards the end became full colour again. The Falklands war in 1982 resulted in 15 F-4Js being bought out of retirement from AMARG and 74 squadron reforming. These Phantoms were repainted in the USA using FS paints close to the British shades, there was also a suggestion that the undercoat showed through. Anyway these had a blue tint to start with. Towards the end of their careers a few of the F-4Js were repainted in British paint but I have never seen a definitive list.

Now if you want to get on to the variations seen in other air arms Phantom colours we should start writing the book because they are extensive!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, iainpeden said:

RAF Phantoms

For everyone interested in the subject (and, let's face it - who isn't!), the following Double Ugly books are highly recommended:

- The Phantom FG Mk.1 and FGR Mk.2 in Royal Navy and RAF service 1966 to 1978

- The Phantom FG Mk.1, FGR Mk.2 and F-4J(UK) in Royal Air Force Service 1979 to 1992

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

On 17/12/2016 at 4:22 PM, Dr Evil said:

There are a few shots out there showing Brit Tooms with dark brown radomes, I assume this is their natural colour before being overpainted, hence the black or grey painted ones showing a brownish tinge?

56 Squadron had for a while one radome painted in dark red to be mounted on whatever aircraft was taking part in an airshow at some point in the '80s. Wonder if the one in your picture is that radome as the aircraft is from 56

Edited by Giorgio N

2 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

56 Squadron had for a while one radome painted in dark red to be mounted on whatever aircraft was taking part in an airshow at some point in the '80s. Wonder if the one in your picture is that radome as the aircraft is from 56

AFAIK the 56 Squadron sharknosed radome also got around a lot.

Cheers,

Andre