Se5

Peter Jackson must be one of the luckiest guys alive, not only is he doing something he clearly loves, he's made enough brass to start building his own fullsize WWI aircraft. Not only that he's started up a company to build 1/32 scale kits of them while he's at it. Nice work if you can get. Anyway here's one of his new Se5s. Hadn't quite finished rigging at this stage, will post some finished ones later. Managed to find some PE 'flat' RAF rigging wire, which is a pain to use but looks good.

SE53of4.jpg

SE52of4.jpg

SE54of4.jpg

very nice, i like the worn look to the fabric especially.

ive got one of these to make myself, any pitfalls to watch out for?

I've only got good things to say about these kits to be honest - the fit, detail level, plans and documentation are second to none. The only slight thing I can call out is that you do need to decide if you want to display with the engine cover on or off. It looks like it will be removable initially, but when you add the fairings for the rocker covers, it won't clear the engine. I guess you could split it along the centre line piano hinge. I ended up detailing the engine, then locking it away under the cowling.

Very nice kits though, enjoy yours.

I'm sorely tempted by one of these,doubt it would look as good as yours though :D Any one any idea how they stack up against the Roden 1/32s?

I'm sorely tempted by one of these,doubt it would look as good as yours though :D Any one any idea how they stack up against the Roden 1/32s?

Got one of the Roden SE5s in my stash. They're pretty good but not in same league as the wingnuts stuff in my opinion. The level of detail is lower, the moulding not as crisp, no included PE and of course there is no CAD manual and reference photos. Wingnuts - Think modern Tamiya kit with Eduard PE thrown in and included reference material. You get what you pay for.

very nice Nick, can you give me any further info on the rigging you used I assune it is the RB productions stuff, how hard was it to use, is it worth the pain how effective does it look etc, as I am thinking about ordering some

Regards

Bruce

very nice Nick, can you give me any further info on the rigging you used I assune it is the RB productions stuff, how hard was it to use, is it worth the pain how effective does it look etc, as I am thinking about ordering some

Regards

Bruce

If I did it again, I would Dremel the ends down to round (square?) section, which would a.), be more scale in appearance - the full size looks like it tapers to a threaded section and b.) by drilling a hole through the wing allow me to get some tension into it which was a problem. I ended up using calipers and trying to cut to exact length which was problematic. Not sure what this stuff is made (you're right it is RB) but its quite tough and difficult to cut, certainly harder than normal PE. A lot of the rigging is double also on the SE5 which makes it more obvious when it isn't taut.

There is no rigging material supplied with the kit by the way, but the rigging guide clearly indicates round section control cables and RAF aerodynamic rigging.

Beautiful build, I really like the engine detail, very well done.

Des.

Beautiful build! Inspired me to put my order in! ;) £37 delivered cant go wrong for that kinda quality!

:D

Not wishing to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but it might be a tad more than that. Post Office handling charge, so I'm told, is about £8. You may, just may, get away with HM Customs charges depending on your luck, but it could add a few more precious £1's.

Peter

Drool... Got any more shots? In particular, the full kit?

It's in my office at work at the moment so only lousy blackberry-quality pictures of the finished rigging I'm afraid:-

IMG00026-20090901-1120.jpg

IMG00027-20090901-1159.jpg

Superb model - rigging looks great - what material did you use?

Dying to start my Brisfit...

Iain

I use the RB Productions RAF section wire here http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=323 notice now that they also provide terminals for this which is a great addition. As it's stainless steel, it's quite tough to cut but looks effective.