Which Liquid Cement would you recommend?

PDH

A real basic question but can't find any similiar thread so I though I'd ask.

Just starting out on my first kit after a few years away (it's a Tamiya Cromwell IV by the way). In the old days I always used Humbrol Liquid Poly cement. Currently in my tool draw I have Revell Contacta Liquid, which I find a bit thick, and EMA Plastic Weld, which I prefer out of the two.

Is there anything out there better than the Plastic Weld? Would prefer something readily available from the local model shop but happy to obtain via post if necessary.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Peter

Tamiya Extra Thin if you can get it, it's superb, sadly no longer imported by the main dealers in the UK ( Got something in it the EEC does not like ), I do have 1 bottle left and have more coming from Hong Kong in about 3 weeks time, I also have a source that i could get some from on Sunday at the IPMS Avon show. :analintruder:

I'll cast my vote for Tamiya Extra Thin as well. It's quite hard to get hold of in the UK, I ordered three jars on Ebay from a seller in Hong Kong. I believe Gunze Sangyo also do their own version which is pretty much the same as the Tamiya Extra Thin. Again the problem with Gunze is the same... it's hard to get hold of in the UK.

The good old Humbrol Polystyrene Cement (the thing stuff in the glass jar) is still perfectly good, cheap and easy to get hold of. I have some of the Precision Poly (the same as Revell Contacta) and I also find it to be too thick, and the needle always seems to be blocked.

I also use Plastic Weld from time to time, the problem is it evaporates very quickly and I find it hard to apply and bring the parts together before the stuff has all evaporated. It also seems to evaporate from the bottle very quickly, after you've used it a few times you notice the bottle is half empty!

Edited by Pielstick

I suspect it's not so much the contents as the labelling that prevents Tamiya being sold here.

I use a mix, but often use the Methylene Chloride based ones (Ambroid Pro-Weld, Tenax, Plastic Weld) - trick with them is to brush the parts lightly, then hold then to gether THEN apply more cement form the inside - let capilliary action do the rest.

EMA Plastic Weld for instant joins. Normally I dont even touch the parts before joining, but just position and brush with a very thin brush along the seam.

Revell Contacta Precision (with the thin metal tube applicator) for parts that might need to be moved around to the correct position

Humbrol Poly Cement (tube) for anything that needs a bit of strengthening/reinforcing as well as moving around to position, or wher the fit isnt perfect and the volume of the cement will be enough to avoid any filling (wings normally).

Superglue - for instant fix small contact areas (e.g. weapons to pylons), or small contact parts that are in awkward positions (e'g folded helo blades)

White Glue (Micro Krystal Klear) for canopies.

Kleer/Future - canopies and for small Phot Etch (e.g. windscreen wipers) to clear parts.

Edited by gengriz
  • Like 1

It is illegal to sell Tamiya extra thin in the EU, I've been told the fine is currently €10k, something to do with a restricted chemical in the mix, similar to there spray paints, so I've been told.

The Mr Cememnt is legal and just about as good from all reports.

EMA is an old favorite and available widely.

Other glues Super glues - Pacers Zap branded ones are a good range.

White glues - Pacer Canopy glue is a PVA that dries clear and has a good grip.

Other glues, Gator Grip glue is an acrylic resin and holds well, dries clear and G-S Hypo cement is a clear glue that is good for sticking clear parts, smells a little like the airfix cement of my younger days.

Tamiya Extra-thin cement gets my vote also - the cement is excellent, but even better is the handy jar and brush that it comes in. Ideal for the job.

EMA Plastic Weld is also superb, however the tall thin bottle it comes in is less than ideal as it's just asking to be knocked over when open - spilling it's entire contents on to your working area; I was wondering about cleaning out an empty Tamiya jar and using it for the EMA....

I also use Revell contacta (the one with the needle-thin applicator)

ZAP-A-GAP superglue, slightly thicker formula for filling gaps between awkward parts.

Humbrol Clear-Fix and/or Micro Crystal Clear - for canopies.

Karl

Edited by Karl

It is illegal to sell Tamiya extra thin in the EU, I've been told the fine is currently €10k, something to do with a restricted chemical in the mix, similar to there spray paints, so I've been told.

Interesting, I know of at least one retailer selling it here

Tamiya Extra-thin cement gets my vote also - the cement is excellent, but even better is the handy jar and brush that it comes in. Ideal for the job.

EMA Plastic Weld is also superb, however the tall thin bottle it comes in is less than ideal as it's just asking to be knocked over when open - spilling it's entire contents on to your working area; I was wondering about cleaning out an empty Tamiya jar and using it for the EMA....

I also use Revell contacta (the one with the needle-thin applicator)

ZAP-A-GAP superglue, slightly thicker formula for filling gaps between awkward parts.

Humbrol Clear-Fix and/or Micro Crystal Clear - for canopies.

Karl

Superglue a 4 inch square of plastic card to the bottom of your Plastic Weld or Mek-Pak bottles - solves the problem of them getting knocked over.

John

EMA Plastic Weld is also superb, however the tall thin bottle it comes in is less than ideal as it's just asking to be knocked over when open - spilling it's entire contents on to your working area...

I've killed two keyboards & half a mouse doing just that! :yahoo:

Meh - I knocked over a jar of Tamiya Extra Thin last week. Luckily it missed the model, but now the grid and scales on my cutting mat look like a work of modern art.

Well I never knew that. I've got a couple of jars in the old cupboard but just checked online with a couple of retailers I know sell it here in the UK. One was out of stock but the other had a pile.

It seems lots of people are using it here anyway!

Steve

Iv always used revell glue. its the one with a needle. it glues well and smells... quite good, unlike tamiya extra thin and MM!! they STINK of poison! I dont like extra thin because it dries so fast. its only ideal for 'glue flowing' when you touch the brush and the glue flows into your seams. which is what it is made for right? i use super glue but what i hate about it is that it mists up after drying :/

I have some of the Precision Poly (the same as Revell Contacta) and I also find it to be too thick, and the needle always seems to be blocked.

That use to happen to me with the revell needle one... almost evertime i used it (blocking up). Iv found a way to unclog it. i will post how soon in tools & tips- other tools ;)

Another thing, to prevent it cloggin is, when your ready from using it, clean the tip and make sure you have to glue spilling out by itself. when you see thers no glue, close it without pressing the tube

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

I have some of the Precision Poly (the same as Revell Contacta) and I also find it to be too thick, and the needle always seems to be blocked.

Not wishing to steal AdriaN (MLT)'s thunder, but I use this stuff for the majority of my sticking and I get round the clogging issue by poking a length of fuse wire down the tube, with the excess bent over the top at the tip to stop it disappearing down the tube. I leave this in situ when not using the glue as it provides a good seal and renders the standard plastic lid a bit pointless. Never have a clogged glue probe now.