Which Liquid Cement would you recommend?

PDH

I would be very surprised that something that has MEK in the name doesn't contain any, then again a lot of processed food products contain the words nutritious and flavoursome, but aren't either.

As was mentioned a few posts up, MEK itself is available in plumbing stores, it's used as a primer for gluing plastic piping. This is by far the cheapest way to buy it.

It evaporates quickly, so I always decant it into something much smaller.

I use both MEK and Tamiya Super Thin, and yes MEK is much faster.

• 1 year later...

hi guys,

my names jamie.

i hope you dont mind me asking but what would you use to glue a cracked turntable lid together,i thought id ask on this forum as you guys have more experience with this sort of thing rather than us audio peeps.

its a large break but clean so it should go back ok,my way of thinking is too large to glue up the complete crack and get it together in time so i thought about just tacking it in a few places and then gluing the rest using capillary action?

what is the best product to use,there are lots on the web and im unsure.thanks in advance :)

IMG_0474.jpg

Edited by karma67

Hi Jamie. I would use a couple of drops of Cyano (superglue) to tack it, then a fine brush dipped in MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and let the capillary action do the rest, you will see how far it runs, so you can add more as needed. The MEK will tend to carry the cyano anyway. That will give a stronger bond. There are alternatives like PVA, which will give you handling time as it takes a few hours to go off, but it will lack strength.

MEK will chemically weld the plastic. It's a bit unfriendly to your nasal passages, so take care and ventilate the area. If you have any broken or cracked CD cases, you could practise on them first. Overspill will fog the finish, but that will probably polish out with Micro Mesh in stages up to 12000 grade if you are that bothered.

There is also GS HypoCement which comes in a tube with a very fine hollow needle applicator. Used by jewellers  for fixing watch glasses and the like. I have little experience of it, but others may give you a better guide. Certainly Mike (the boss) uses it to good effect, so maybe a PM to him if you get nothing else here.

hi,

thanks for your reply,i think welding is the way to go rather than gluing so i like the idea of using MEK,im fully expecting to have to re polish the cracked area after its repaired so it would seem im on the right track with my game plain.

very good idea re practicing on a cd case,i like it!

my main goal is to try and get an invisible repair,am i asking too much?

thanks for your info so far :)

You won't get an invisible repair due to light refraction at certain angles, and polishing out with varying grits of Micro Mesh will take a small amount from the surface. The finished job will look better than it does now.