STOVL Canberra

Kitnut, as a newbie (relatively) to Britmodeller, I have to say how impressed I am with this

project- it has (to me, anyway) a major WOW factor, and I'm really looking forward to seeing

her finished. And you've taught us all how to create Pegasus liftjet nacelles from Harrier fuselages!

:smartass:

Kitnut, as a newbie (relatively) to Britmodeller, I have to say how impressed I am with this

project- it has (to me, anyway) a major WOW factor, and I'm really looking forward to seeing

her finished. And you've taught us all how to create Pegasus liftjet nacelles from Harrier fuselages!

:smartass:

Thanks MNG, :blush:

I've got some more done, I had a chat with an aero engineer on another forum and explained to him how I intend to keep as much of the Canberra characteristics as possible and I wanted to know if by moving the wing up, should the tailplane move up too. He said it was a good call so that's what I'm going to do, or should say that's what I've done. I've jumped ahead to the fuselage for the moment (the second nacelle is almost finished but not glued on yet) as I had some things in my mind I wanted to try. Moving the tailplane up means the fin and rudder has to go up too, so I've cut the fin off. I've also fitted one of the Harrier air brake doors into the side to see how that would work. I found that the curve of the door fits a curve along the tapering section of the rear fuselage which is sort of where the B-57 has it's air brakes and after glueing it into a carefully cut out hole, just a little sanding was required to get the front end of the door to match the fuselage curve at that end.

StovlCanberra114.jpg

The main wing is about 10mm higher now so the tailplane and fin goes up the same amount, here I've added a 10mm strip to the bottom of the fin and matching the angle of the dorsal fillet I extended the angle down to the new fin bottom, and did the same to the trailing edge. I've also added a spar which I then drill a hole through so that I can use a short length of brass rod as a tailplane spar. This will help lining up the two tailplanes.

StovlCanberra115.jpg

Next job was to change the mating face of the tailplane to the new fin extension, did this by glueing on some strip then carefully trimming it back to the shape I needed.

StovlCanberra116.jpg

StovlCanberra117.jpg

StovlCanberra118.jpg

After duplicating it for the other side, I've trial fitted it to the fuselage. I think it came out alright.

StovlCanberra119.jpg

StovlCanberra120.jpg

StovlCanberra121.jpg

StovlCanberra122.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've now got the u/c sorted out, here's a couple of pics of it on it's wheels.

StovlCanberra127.jpg

StovlCanberra128.jpg

Hi Bro

Now I can see why my drawings are taking so long to do, lol ???? very nice build when are you going to finish this?

Richard

Hi Bro

Now I can see why my drawings are taking so long to do, lol ???? very nice build when are you going to finish this?

Richard

Good question, it hasn't progress much from the last photos, it's just sitting on the shelf at the moment and I keep looking at it and think to myself I should get it finished. I did decide to use the 1/72 Harrier main wheels for the front ones instead of the 1/48 F-4 wheels though.

I'm sort of in a 'model building funk' at the moment, can't seemed to get it going. I even tried to build another simpler model but even that didn't go very far. This is what I'm calling a Sea Harrier F.13 Fleet Defence Interceptor with UK developed 'Phoenix' capability type missiles. More about this later.

SeaHarrierF13006.jpg

SeaHarrierF13011.jpg