Harrier Seats???

neilfgr2

Hi guys,

Two pics of different ejection seats. top one is from a Harrier GR7 and the bottom one is for a F-18 Hornet.

If im correct the Harrier one is a MK 12 and the Hornet seat is a MK 14.

I cant see much difference between them so could I use the Hornet seat in a Harrier GR7.. or more like would any of you guys????

Cheers,

Neil

12H_HarrierGR5_7_9_popup.jpg

naces_high_res_popup.jpg

I did get the AMRAAM seat but it was s***e.... I have the quickboost F-18 seat and its lovely...

They are similar, the only difference you may want to worry about is the straps. On the US Navy seats the straps are short and the pilot attaches them to a kind of waist coat that he wears as part of his gear, using individual koch fittings. On the RAF seats the pilot connects all the straps together to a central quick release fitting.

This is shown pretty clearly in the photos you have posted.

They are similar, the only difference you may want to worry about is the straps. On the US Navy seats the straps are short and the pilot attaches them to a kind of waist coat that he wears as part of his gear, using individual koch fittings. On the RAF seats the pilot connects all the straps together to a central quick release fitting.

This is shown pretty clearly in the photos you have posted.

It's basically a more modern seat that is made under licence in the US.Must US seat's have the Koch fittings attatching directly to the pilots harness. The internal workings are,more or less,the same apart from the rocket booster pack being more powerful for US Naval Aviation.

So effectively, the US pilot has half of the straps already on his flight suit?

I gather it's something to do with making it easier to get out of the parachute if ejected over water.By releasing the jock fittings the chute comes off easier with less risk of the chute becoming water logged & sinking,compared to our aircrew having to pop the buckle or cut the parachute lines.

Our aircrew carry a knife on the right thigh of the flight suit/g-pants for cutting chute lines,dont think the US Navy carry them.

Another difference Neil is the Personal Equipment Connecter ( PEC). It's the green coloured box on the left hand side of the seat pan on the British seat. The American seat has a different design of PEC.

It's the bit with the tube and red blanking cap which is resting against the rear seat cushion on the American seat.

Gary.