Jaguar kits

Col.

While thinking about the imminent Jag GB I had a look around Hannants web-site to see what's available.

Now as far as I can see there are 4 manufacturers with a 72nd scale kit in their current range; Airfix, Italeri, Hasegawa and Revell. Airfix seem to be the only one to have a 48th kit out at the moment although I have a feeling Esci used to do one. My question is, what's the most accurate, and while we're at it which is best detailed?

I built a Hasegawa T-2 several years ago and while it was fairly straight-forward it had a couple of fit issues and a general lack of detail in the 'pits and undercarriage components so was wondering if there was a better option in general circulation, given that the Matchbox and Heller seem long OOP.

I've got the Italeri T.2 and the Revell GR.1A, and they are essentially the same kit (apart from the obvious parts!) definitely the same moulds.

I remember building the Hasegawa one some years ago, but don't think it was a nice as these (although I haven't built them yet), but I could be wrong.

When's the Jag group build coming then??! I've got these waiting to built now...

Karl.

Col - personally I'd recommend the Airfix one in 1:48 because there is so much you can add on to make it quite a kit - flaps, wheels, pit, chaff dispensers, exhausts, cockpit & some lovely decals too.

Why fart around with a kids scale, when you can make a mans scale :hmmm:

Cheers lads, we kick off at the start of October Karl.

From what I've read about the Italeri kit the Revell single-seater should be a good one.

Think I'll be sticking to kiddie-scale for this one Gary and Pete, it's a small flat so we don't have a great deal of space for me to display models, besides which my tectonic drift-like building pace would mean taking years to build a 48th kit much as I'd love to :fraidnot:

Edited by Col.

I remember the 1/48 ESCI kit, it was my first attempt at a camoflage paint job, didnt turn out too bad either. Can't remember much about the kit except that it looked like a Jaguar to me. The Airfix one is probably far better, but it is an option. Haven't seen one since then though, that was 19 years ago!

Joel

I picked up the Airfix 1:48 from antics at one of the shows for £5, they had hundreds of them. they are selling them on there web site for £7.99

1:48 Jaguar

Wayne

There's also the Heller Jaguar which gave you the option of an A or an E

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Heller-1-72-Jaguar-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

although later boxings only mention the A:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-A-jet-van-Hel...1QQcmdZViewItem

Then there are the 2 matchbox kits, the original Jaguar S:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matchbox-1-72-BAC-S-...VQQcmdZViewItem

and the later E/T2 in that lovely Raspberry Ripple scheme, with camouflaged Omani as the alternative, IIRC:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Matchbox-1-72-Bae-JA...VQQcmdZViewItem

Not current perhaps but certainly not rare.

John

Edited by John

And there is the Frog 1/72 kit (F402) that offers a French Jaguar A or an RAF Jaguar T.2 two-seater. Have two of those up in the loft, really would like to make on as the two seater. There was also the original Airfix BAC Jaguar with the pointy nose before the moulds got modded into the GR.1 in the 1970s.

In the early 1970s Heller made two or three 1/50 kits including the (cancelled) Aeronaval Jaguar.

I really must get around to writing that "Jaguar guide" sometime!

And there is the Frog 1/72 kit (F402) that offers a French Jaguar A or an RAF Jaguar T.2 two-seater. Have two of those up in the loft, really would like to make on as the two seater. There was also the original Airfix BAC Jaguar with the pointy nose before the moulds got modded into the GR.1 in the 1970s.

In the early 1970s Heller made two or three 1/50 kits including the (cancelled) Aeronaval Jaguar.

You just did!!!! :rolleyes:

Heller also made a few 1/100 scale Jaguars, which were quite nice.

John

and there's me been thinking your a real mans's man Col - how very disappointing :weep:

Ultimately it depends what my LMS has in stock so you never know.

Mind you, Wayne did give the link to Antics and they have a good selection... :hmmm:

It would be good if we got all of the available kits built. I'll volunteer for the Matchbox T2 in 'Ripple' and their original single seater with the 'pointy missiles' if I can find one.

Steve.

PS I agree about Antics and the cheap Jags - added advantage is that it'll probably be with you the day after you place the order!

Edited by Bennygman

The Airfix 1/48 it a nice kit and I'd like to do a two seater conversion some time (there must be some resin around somewhere)

But, I thought we were expecting a 1/48 single and two seater Jaguar from Trumpeter at some point??

Karl

I can't add too much to whats been said here but if you frequent swap meets and consignment sales, you may also find a 1/72 Jaguar GR.1 in MPC boxing, this is the same kit as the airfix GR.1 right down to the decals as I recall.

You might also find a 1/72 T.2 Jaguar by Idea, it has a photo of the finished model on the boxtop rather than art. I don't know if it was an Idea original or a repop of someone else's. I built one many years ago but don't remember much about its buildability or lack thereof.

I looked into the box of an Italeri T.2 the other day and quite liked what I saw (may consider getting myself one). One thing I have heard is that the fins on the cluster bombs that come in the Italeri/Revell kits aren't accurate in shape and will need some work or replacement.

The Airfix kit, as it currently stands in GR.3 form, is an unaltered reissue of their older GR.1 kit with an extra runner of plastic thrown in for more modern weapons, ECM gear and a couple of flare and chaff boxes. From some people I've spoken to, the new runner is a disappointment as it looks rather hastily done and clumsy on detail. The old 1,000 pound bombs and BL.755 CBUs from the GR.1 kit are retained in the GR.3, but no GR.1 decal option is in there.

A comment was made further up about 1/100 Jags from Heller, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least a Jaguar GR.1 in 1/100 in Tamiya boxing as well.

The Airfix 1/48 it a nice kit and I'd like to do a two seater conversion some time (there must be some resin around somewhere)

But, I thought we were expecting a 1/48 single and two seater Jaguar from Trumpeter at some point??

Karl

There is resin for it and if you want to see how good it can turn out check out the pics on this thread.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....guar&st=135

Stephen

Karl

I heard there's a resin two-seat conversion, must try and find me one :D .

Trumpeter are (allegedly) doing them in 1/32 at some point. Resin masters do exist.

Who's this Neil bloke then?

Never heard of him :) .

B)

Well now here's a strange thing. I sneaked a peek into this Heller boxing this afternoon

hellerjag1.jpg

and discovered it's the Airfix kit!

It's moulded in tan plastic and the fuselage halves have been altered to the French nose profile. Actually I'd guess that new fuselage halves have been moulded but the rest is pure Airfix, down to the BL755 cluster bombs.

Heller certainly got a lot of use from their stewardshio of the Humbrol tool bank!

John

Well now here's a strange thing. I sneaked a peek into this Heller boxing this afternoon

hellerjag1.jpg

and discovered it's the Airfix kit!

It's moulded in tan plastic and the fuselage halves have been altered to the French nose profile. Actually I'd guess that new fuselage halves have been moulded but the rest is pure Airfix, down to the BL755 cluster bombs.

Heller certainly got a lot of use from their stewardshio of the Humbrol tool bank!

John

No chance you can get some pics of that John?

I always assumed it was the Heller kit - that's really wierd.