SHAR1 Lepus flare question

PHIL B

Hi Gang,

I'm thinking of building an Airfix 1/48th SHAR1 as an aircraft carrying Lepus flares as described in Sharkey Ward's book Sea Harrier Over The Falklands. The only Lepus flares I've ever seen in a kit were in Airfix's 1/72 GR1 & GR3 many years ago.

Does any kind soul know of any Lepus flares in 1/48th? Any further info would be very nice.

e.g.

which pylons they were carried on,

were singles or pairs carried on each pylon?

were they carried on some kind of adapter or directly on the pylon's own mounts?

what other wepons were carried at the same time.

Any help would be very, well, helpful.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Oddly enough I asked the same questions of 801 Squadron's AEO at the SHAR Farewell dinner in the Painted Hall at Greenwich. He couldn't answer me fully, and the explanation he gave I'd rather not go into here...

As far as I know the outer pylons would be usual station, singly. For the type of mission mentioned in the book, gunpods and full 100 gal tanks would have been the only other weapons carried, IMHO. Now it's just possible that a flare could be carried on ther fuselage c/l pylon too, which would have left one outer pylon for an AIM-9L... As, IIRC, the mission was flown at night, I'd opt for a flare on each outer pylon, guns and tanks.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Hi Phil,

If you e-mail me via the link on the Harrier SIG website, I'm sure I have a cutaway of a Harrier with a Lepus flare in the drawing. Google has produced little of help but I'll scan the cutaway and e-mail it to you. From that you may be able to make a reasonable replica in 1:48th scale. I also have a colour shot of a GR1 with Lepus flares in the frame for the colours which I can send you.

That may be more help...!

Cheers for now

Nick

Hi Phil,

If you e-mail me via the link on the Harrier SIG website, I'm sure I have a cutaway of a Harrier with a Lepus flare in the drawing. Google has produced little of help but I'll scan the cutaway and e-mail it to you. From that you may be able to make a reasonable replica in 1:48th scale. I also have a colour shot of a GR1 with Lepus flares in the frame for the colours which I can send you.

That may be more help...!

Cheers for now

Nick

Thanks Nick, E-mail inbound.

Phil.

Got the scans & pics Nick. Thanks very much. They'll be a great help.

In a bit of a "eureka!" moment, I remembered last night that I have stashed away somewhere, the MAP plans pack for Harrier GR1 & T2. IIRC, it includes weaponry like 1000lb iron bomb, MATRA 155 pod, 100 gal drop tanks & Lepus flare :yahoo: plus the twin store carrier.

I have it in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/24 if it would help anyone. I also have it in 1/64 from Scale Models November 1973 for those building in 1/32.

Right. Time for the loft and a visit to a department store for some cheap knitting needles.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Yep that'll do, well remembered they are on the MAP plans but not their colours!

I'll e-mail you the scan I have to (hopefully) save you cracking your nut in the loft!

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks Nick, that'll do nicely.

Hmm, those plans remind me, I must dig out of of my Monogram GR1s as I've had a Daily Mail Transatlantic Air Race build in mind since I first saw them and a picture of Sqdn Ldr Lecky-Thompson's XV741 taking off just outside St Pancras station. They don't make 'em like that any more.

Phil.

• 7 years later...

Dragging this one back from the brink. Its only been 8 years...

Do any of you guys still have the 1/48 Lepus plans or know of any aftermarket bits? Im drawing a blank in most aspects for these flares.

This is in consideration for a Buccaneer btw on the tandem rail/beam arrangement.

Cheers for any help. :)