"Berlin Brigade" Harrier GR7 (WIP)

davecov

I had always wanted to build a Berlin Brigade Chieftain and seeing Sean's Chieftain has had me champing at the bit to do one now. However, having the dreaded "Modeller's Block", I wasn't in the mood for a clanky tanky build and I wanted a build, any build to be quick and to break the "Block".

So, I started a quick build on Sunday afternoon in order to both get rid of my block and to satisfy my lust for the Berlin Brigade colour scheme. My build is the Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR7 and I am using no filler, no after-market parts, no cockpit, no masking, no small stencil decals, no AMS or anything else that may interfere with the quick build. Painting the colour scheme freehand with a hairy stick without masking was bit of a challenge but preferable to spending hours masking off:

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_002_500.jpg

I have completed the camouflage but now need to paint the wheels, nozzles, black canopy and a few other bits and bobs, including ordnance:

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_003_500.jpg

It seems to have removed the "Block" at least for now and it is proving to be very enjoyable which is what this hobby is all about!

Thanks to Sean for the inspiration!

Dave

You've removed the block by painting lots of blocks on a Harrier... good idea! :lol:

Just don't ever put it in front of Seans tank, or you'll never find it again :shrug:

Thanks, Sean. The colours I have been using are:

Overall Grey - H145 Matt Medium Grey

Brown Blocks - H98 Matt Chocolate

Light Grey Blocks - H127 Satin US Ghost Grey

BTW, I have just finished painting the ordnance and hopefully I will have the build finished by the end of the weekend.

You dont realise how close possibly that is to the real thing - thinking of the newish USMC Pixel scheme. Nicely done.
Like this?

miscellaneous20060686je.jpg

Not mine, it's made by Damian. Hopefully, he'll post some of the finished pics when he sees this :)

:viking:

That is a nice scheme.

Here are the latest pics of mine - note the wobbly bomb (that fell off shortly afterwards). It is almost finished now and has been Kleared ready for decals. As I mentioned in the first post, I intend to leave off all of the smaller stencil decals as this is just a quick build to get out of the way. I was tempted to put them on but I'm afraid that if I did go down that route, it would bring back my "modeller's block" which this plane has successfully cleared!

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_005_500.jpg

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_004_500.jpg

As for the scheme, I am tempted to use it again - on an Airfix 1/72 Jaguar GR1.

Edited by davecov

Well, I got this "quick" build finished on Sunday night as planned. The decals were a right pain to put on for some reason and I am glad that I had decided to only apply the national insignia. They took me about half an hour to apply and if I had tried any more, then my "modeller's block" would have returned with a vengeance - and possibly permanently! :undecided:

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_006_500.jpg

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_007_500.jpg

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_008_500.jpg

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_009_500.jpg

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_010_500.jpg

Harrier_GR7_72_BB_011_500.jpg

I will use the colour scheme again but probably with smaller blocks although I fear they might play havoc with my eyesight! I found staring at these ones for a while were bad enough. :hypnotised:

Edited by davecov

Now that the modeller's block is cleared, I need to get back to four ATF Group Builds in various stages of completion that were probably responsible for the block in the first place! They are all "interesting" as none of them are aircraft (runs for cover)! :winkgrin::tapedshut:

A conversion of the Airfix Centurion Mk 8 to a Mk III

An Airfix Lunar Module (with extra "bit" as a "what-if")

Airfix/Dapol Railbus to be fitted with scratch-built interior and non-standard colour scheme

Airfix Type 21 Frigate as HMS Arrow

As for "post-block" builds, this week I have started on an Airfix 54mm figure of 2nd Foot Guard (Coldstream) for a Group Build and on the 1st September I will be leading two Group Builds - RNLI Lifeboat and Airfix Cars. So, I had better get a move on with the above builds!

On the "wingy" front my next build will probably be an Airfix Bulldog and/or Gnat for a Trainer Aircraft GB that has just started "over the road" and I have a few builds lined up for our Falklands GB too including some helicopters.

Well, at least that is the plan........

Is there no escaping his nagging? :S In my defence for not completing my HMS Abdiel, the replacement 4" guns I ordered from WEM at the time of the group build (June 2006) only arrived a few days ago, fourteen months after ordering. No excuse to finish now and it will be finished - one day. Promise! :hmmm:

Now leave me alone, Ratch! :winkgrin: