Spitfire Mk I Scheme

Mijail Navarro

Good afternoon Chaps,

Hope you can help me to know which Spitfire' Scheme is this (picture).

This is a No 41 Squadron Spitfire, probably EB-R P9428.

HoodCatt1.jpg

You can notice one of the wings is black but the tail wing looks black for me, I know that one of the Spitifre's schemes is half black but this spitfire shows just the wings.

HoodCatt2.jpg

This is S/L Richard Hood's spitfire (the squirrel art is great), sadly he was killed in action during the Battle of Britain on September 5th.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

• Like 2

Good afternoon Chaps,
Hope you can help me to know which Spitfire' Scheme is this (picture).
This is a No 41 Squadron Spitfire, probably EB-R P9428.

HoodCatt1.jpg

You can notice one of the wings is black but the tail wing looks black for me, I know that one of the Spitifre's schemes is half black but this spitfire shows just the wings.

HoodCatt2.jpg

This is S/L Richard Hood's spitfire (the squirrel art is great), sadly he was killed in action during the Battle of Britain on September 5th.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards.

If serial is P 9428,

the aircraft left factory between Jan. and may 40 in the (A) scheme.

It would have been with a white starboard wing and black port divided in the middle with the balance of all the undersurfaces in silver.

Fuselage roundel would have been 35 inches type A growing to 49 inches in mid-may when the yellow ring and fin stripes were added.

41 squadron used 30 inches code letters.

In mid-may fighters squadrons were instructed to paint undersurface in black and white divided on the centerline

with black on the port side but the undersurface of the cowling on your photo would seem to indicate that it is still

in the earlier scheme.

Do remember that this period is full of anomalies.Hope that this was of some help.

Arrow

Lovely photos.

The forward frame of the rear portion of the canopy is NMF- as appear to be the area surrounding the port fuselage roundel if you look closely.

Also there appears to be a very small roundel on the starboard wing underside right out at the tip..?

wonder if it's a bitza?

• 6 years later...

The forward frame of the rear portion of the canopy is NMF- as appear to be the area surrounding the port fuselage roundel if you look closely.

Also there appears to be a very small roundel on the starboard wing underside right out at the tip..?

The forward frame is camouflaged as can be seen where the canopy has been slid back. That part viewed through the canopy appears bright but this is presumably glare. The fuselage roundel is surrounded by yellow. The small roundel near the wingtip is known on Spitfires produced in this period.

Having a black tailplane is also common.

Did this aircraft have the black wing at the time of being shot down or would the aircraft have been repaint in Sky on the underside?

EB-R Spitfire Ia P9428 September 1940 Sqn Ldr Hilary R. L. 'Robin' Hood DFC RAF

The black and white undersides were before the BoB. They were officially abolished from early June 1940

So a safe assumption is they were painted Sky on the underside?

Anyone know the colours of the nose art?

2-6-40 an order was issued that underside roundels should be painted as large as possible without encroaching on the ailerons.

10-6-40 a notification was issued that, due to shortage of Sky, black/white scheme would remain for now.

12-6-40 Glosters (and presumably other manufacturers) were told to remove the black/white plus roundels and start painting fighters in Sky, with immediate effect.

Edited by Edgar
  • Like 1

The prop wouldn't have changed, it would be Sky underneath.

The colours would just be guesswork based on tonal values which may not read across into the same hues. The square appears to match the yellow in the roundel, so that's one guess. The animal is a squirrel, perhaps, so reddish-brown? If that's a thistle, you have green stem and leaves with white head. The base is likely to be black and white or red and white? maybe.... maybe not. As he's Robin Hood maybe Lincoln Green should come in somewhere...

Looking at the photograph the tailplane and elevator do appear dark as does the rear under fuselage. From this I and the build date, I deduct that the finish is half black, half white with a replacement lower cowling in silver. I might be wrong of course but I have seen similar anomaly on Flying Officer Kain's Hurricane during August 1940 where the starboard centre section and half the cowling is silver and a white short front cowl section, the port side fuselage, centre section is black but the starboard outer plane is white. Picture dated April 1940 in 'Fighter Command 1939-45', I. Carter, page 26.

Thanks for the info-

So early scheme- half white/black inc tail plane? silver lower engine cover.Pattern A top camo

Late -Sky underside and Pattern A on top

I've read the the half & half colour were Sky/black, was this aircraft white?

Shaun.

• 1 year later...

Shaun

I you have not read this

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

scans are available here

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

which will explain what markings occurred when and where.   There are a lot of changes from 39-42,  especially in 1940 which do cause confusion!