P-40E Warhawk - 'Aleutian Tigers'

Heres my latest finished kit, the special edition boxing of Hasegawa's 1/48 P-40E in the colours of the 343rd FG/11th FS based at Fort Glenn, Alaska in 1942, known as the 'Aleutian Tigers'. This particular aircraft was that of Col. John "Jack" Chennault, the CO of the 343rd FG and son of the famous Lieutenant General Claire Lee Chennault who was the commander of the 1st AVG, 'The Flying Tigers', in China in 1941. The 343rd were involved in the Aleutian Islands Campaign from 1942 to '43, fighting the Japanese to retain control over these strategically important but largely inhospitable islands off Alaska. A better account of the campaign can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign

I wanted to build a P-40 in these colours for a while so when I saw Hasegawa had released a special edition boxing of their P-40 kit I snapped it up straight away :D. The kit comes with markings for three seperate aircraft, all from the 343rd FG. Otherwise it is just the same as their earlier P-40E releases. I had read about the various problems that could arise from the use of the many inserts on Hasegawas P-40 kits but with using Mr Surfacer 500 and taking my time with sanding etc I didn't encounter any major hassles. I have noticed a few blemishes around the joins but TBH I'm not that bothered. I used the Eduard Zoom set for this kit and this added detail to an already-excellent moulded cockpit, the best that I think I have come across in a 1/48 kit. I also used the Eduard mask set for the canopy and quarterlight windows and I have to say it was brilliant, certainly worth it for the time saved alone :o. I painted it with Vallejo Model Air and weathered it with ProModellers dark wash and Tamiya weathing master soot.

Heres a pic of the cockpit before it was installed. I may end up opening the canopy to allow it to be viewed better:

Cockpit004rsz.jpg

And the rest of the pics of the model:

finished016rsz.jpg

finished004rsz.jpg

finished002rsz.jpg

finished001rsz.jpg

finished012rsz.jpg

finished017rsz.jpg

finished008.jpg

finished007rsz.jpg

Cheers :beer:

Edited by M4rk
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for the kind comments guys :thumbsup:

Stanley Ipkiss - the decals were fantastic, the best I've ever used from a box. They responed very well to the usual Microset & sol treatment. The only issues I have with them is that they in-no-way match the yellow specified in the instructions for painting the spinner, exhaust shrouds and wheel hubs. They're also thin enough to show the demarcation line between the olive drab and light grey around the chin intake. Oh well only minor things I suppose.

Spad - It's only tacked shut at the moment to prevent dust getting in there until I find somewhere covered to store it. Seems to be the never-ending problem with making kits :S

Cheers

Very nice build :speak_cool: ,by chance I got one of these earlier this week. I bought mine I guess like Nike having built the Revell 1/32 P-40 in similar markings,a long,long time ago. :S

Malcolm

Thanks Mal :thumbsup2:. You won't be disappointed with the kit, it's great to build. I've actually just got another off eBay but the original boxing this time with the Flying Tigers markings. Should look good together :D

P-40's are cool.........what a piece of history in model form..............

Cheers,

ggc

Spad - It's only tacked shut at the moment to prevent dust getting in there until I find somewhere covered to store it. Seems to be the never-ending problem with making kits :S

Cheers

Got that canopy open yet! :analintruder:

Looking forward to seeing it!

cheers

Rick