Supermarine S6B

Looks very nice, Doug. The sea's nicely modelled, and looks the right colour too.

Just one observation, I'm not familiar with photos of the real thing running on the surface at speed, but would the propwash create more foam on the sea surface? Please don't take this as a criticism, as I don't know if that's the case.

Looks very nice, Doug. The sea's nicely modelled, and looks the right colour too.

Just one observation, I'm not familiar with photos of the real thing running on the surface at speed, but would the propwash create more foam on the sea surface? Please don't take this as a criticism, as I don't know if that's the case.

Hello mate, yes I'm sure you're right that it would have created shed loads of spray, but I couldn't think of a realistic way to recreate that other than sort of draping cotton wool down the sides of the floats etc, which I was worried might look a bit naff. I guess if I'm honest I was thinking that 'less is more' if you know what I mean, better to underdo it, than overdo it. I might give it a go with a bit and see how it turns out though.

Edited by Doug Rogers

Thanks Mike. The prop is basically a short length (approx 1 inch) of 1/16in brass tubing fixed in the back of the prop hub, and then fix a similar length of 3/32in tubing in the front of the fuselage. The smaller fits snugly inside the larger and with a small amount of graphite powder, or just put a small amount of pencil lead on the shaft, it spins quite freely. I took the idea from Tim Prosser (Tango India Mike) and although it sounds a bit fussy, is surprisingly straightforward to do. The important thing is to get it as central as possible to reduce 'wobble', and to not get any glue on anything. Then I laid a hairdryer just out of shot, and hey presto.

Credit to Stebos as well, who gave me the idea for the seascape from his excellent Martin Seamaster.

Hi Doug, having failed to find photos of the real thing taking off or landing, I wonder if you might create some of the foam/spray effect with a little white or off-white paint on the surface of the sea. Just a thought, nothing I've actually tried myself. If you use acrylics, you should be able to remove it if it doesn't work.

Good idea I reckon Obi Jiff. Looking at it over the last 24hrs it does look a bit sparse in the foam department, sort of looks like he's out for a gentle cruise around the bay!

Edited by Doug Rogers

Thanks Peter. In a nutshell it's a 30cm square polystyrene ceiling tile, which had a sort of dimpled texture on it, which actually helped a bit. Cut out any depressions or grooves that the scene requires with a sharp knife. Then PVA over the tile, cover the tile in plain tissue paper, PVA over that with a dilute mix, press it down with a brush in a sort of fibre-glass matting sort of stylee. Once it's dry paint over as required.

Lovely job Doug :thumbsup:

I like the amount of water around the plane, somehow adds to the movement.

Aha!... Yes I'm glad you mentioned that...SWMBO, my most severe critic, said there was too much Sea and not enough aircraft! I explained that I was trying to emphasise that it was only an ickle aircraft, and the base had to be a certain size to get the impression of movement by using the wakes of the floats. She isn't having it though, thought I should have cut the tile down smaller.

I do think she's looking at it from a 'Where the hell are we going to put it?' perspective though. :rolleyes:

Doug - have been admiring your superb diorama with my Dad. His uncle flew the S6A (N248) during the 1931 Trophy. We have been looking at some pics of the S6B cockpit and admiring its crudeness! No altimeter - I suppose you just looked down to see how high you were!!! There also appears to be a domestic light switch fitted for something or other.

Looks like on take-off run there would not be much of the rear of the floats showing.

Pat

Thanks Pat. Yes I have a couple of pics of the insides of an S6B, and as you say, just a very basic control stick and a few gauges. I think a couple of boost gauges down by the floor, and a few on the instrument panel, probably revs, oil pressure. Probably no speedo as you don't need to know how fast you're going, just that you're going as fast as you can!

SupermarineS6B.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Doug Rogers

:speak_cool:

Carried this one off a treat...

I think you judged the tile area right, helps with the atmosphere of a gloomy looking ocean.

Thanks Mate, I was inspired to do the seascape by your excellent Martin Seamaster, so thanks for that. :thumbsup2: