Snipersmudge's build

Guest snipersmudge

Guest snipersmudge

As a long time fan of rally cars especially the 70's and 80's eras I will attempt to do this kit justice. Never built a car before so this should be interesting. The kit looks quite nice and as the body work just needs a nice white base I think I should be ok!

S8002298.jpg

Pete

Edited by snipersmudge

• 3 weeks later...
Guest snipersmudge

well it's about time I posted some pics of my SLOW progress the bodyshell is now ready for priming, some seam lines where sanded down and abit of filler here and there

001.jpg

002.jpg

I had a go at test fitting the bodywork over this and the fit was extremly tight, this I think will be harder once all the other parts are in place, any ideas on how to make it an easier fit without damaging anything?

003.jpg

wheels done with primer and then some tamiya TS47 I have kicking about, not bad for my firast attempt at spraying a gloss coat from a can

004.jpg

more soon hopefully!

Pete

I had a go at test fitting the bodywork over this and the fit was extremly tight, this I think will be harder once all the other parts are in place, any ideas on how to make it an easier fit without damaging anything?

I'm still trying to find the e-mail I had from a friend who's built one that contains the mods he did to make the body an easier fit (I need it for my build too!) - if I can't find it I'll have to ask him again! Either way I'll let you know when I find out!

Keef

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snipersmudge
I'm still trying to find the e-mail I had from a friend who's built one that contains the mods he did to make the body an easier fit (I need it for my build too!) - if I can't find it I'll have to ask him again! Either way I'll let you know when I find out!

Keef

Yes Keef that would be very handy! very little progress has been made as I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how I'm going to get the body on :deadhorse:

• 2 weeks later...
Yes Keef that would be very handy! very little progress has been made as I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how I'm going to get the body on :deadhorse:

Found it! This is the advice I received from someone who's built a couple of Hase Strats ;

"Trim the interior around the top of the footwell - which is behind the front wheels - this can't be seen when the car is finished. Remove the raised circular mounting holes from part G8 (if you

are not separating the rear body section). I suspect Hasegawa intended to do the same as they did with the 037 - having the piece separate even if an engine is not included in the kit.

My view is that the rear section would have located into these holes, as it is they have no function, they are not on the original 1:1 cars, and they prevent the chassis from sitting properly.

My kit looked exactly as is shown on the side of the kit box - the rear wheels are too far forward, and the whole thing is under great pressure if built as originally intended.

Use Araldite or some other clear epoxy to fix the glass and side door panels - otherwise they will fall off when stretching the sides of the body to get the chassis to fit in!"

HTH

Keef

cheers for the advice Keef, I think that will help no end :speak_cool:

I hope so, as I'm following it too!!

I've just about finished the interior of mine tonight so I hope to try & get it & the body together tomorrow. I didn't have any epoxy glue as recommended, so Ive just stuck the top of the glass in with a fair bit of Tamiya extra thin cement, leaving the sides loose - I hope that'll give it enough play to get the interior in without the glass falling out!

Keef

Guest snipersmudge

right spurred on by Keef's progress I have now got my finger out and got some paint on,

body in primer

S8002493.jpg

Wheels all finished

S8002495.jpg

chassis taking shape

S8002497.jpg

S8002496.jpg

more soon, promise!

Pete

Guest snipersmudge

cheers chaps, some more for you,

got some etched seat belts and have added those, I expect the sabelt markings are not strictly correct but I will run with em! also added some MIG pigments to the footwells

DSCF0249.jpg

DSCF0248.jpg

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0255.jpg

dashboard done,

DSCF0251.jpg

exhausts painted in alclad aluminium, they will get some staining added with tamiya clear colours next,

DSCF0252.jpg

and lastley body work all sprayed up. I used a can of plasti-cote appliance white. This is my first ever go at this so I took my time and think it's turned out rather well. Just to be on the safe side I will probably leave it for a few days to harden off properly before comencing with the decals. sorry for the pics It's hard to get a good shot of a white model!

DSCF0262.jpg

DSCF0263.jpg

DSCF0264.jpg

I am currently sorting out all the other bits for the kit, the headlights and rear lights have had a coat of alclad chrome for the reflectors and I am just finishing off the mirrors

more soon

Pete

Guest snipersmudge

more for you, after a marathon session today I have all the decals on the bodyshell. A few places need touching up but this can wait until the decals are fully dry,

DSCF0274.jpg

DSCF0275.jpg

DSCF0276.jpg

DSCF0277.jpg

I used mr mark setter and softener on the decals. Next here is the completed headlights and front light pod. Alcalad chrome gave me a nice reflective colour

DSCF0271.jpg

more soon once I have my strength back!

cheers

pete

That's excellent Pete, looks really good!

I think it would be a safe bet to put my mortgage on you having the first finished build! I haven't done anything on mine over the weekend. I did put some zero paints Porsche glacier white basecoat on it on Friday, but as I'm down to the bottom of the bottle I think its gone off a bit as it didn't spray at all well. Now giving it a few days to harden off properly before giving it a good micro-meshing!

Looking forward to seeing yours finished, Not long now.....!!!

All the best

Keef

Guest snipersmudge

cheers guys, keef I may have it finished by next week if I am lucky, just ordered some zero paints gloss for the bodywork. still quite nervous regarding getting the bodyshell over the chassis!

pete

Looking good Pete. How did you get on with the Plasti cote White, I'm doing a ZEXEL Skyline R32 GTR at the moment and used the same paint, but it's orange peeled quite badly despite a layer of Halfords plastic primer?

Guest snipersmudge
Looking good Pete. How did you get on with the Plasti cote White, I'm doing a ZEXEL Skyline R32 GTR at the moment and used the same paint, but it's orange peeled quite badly despite a layer of Halfords plastic primer?

cheers guys, doug I had no problems with the plasti cote. I built up the finish spraying three light coats leaving for ten mins each time then a final thicker coat. The finish did not orange peel at all. for primer I used mr surfacer 1000. maybe the plasti coate reacted to the halfords primer?

pete

Hmm...could be, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to cars and I think I've just underestimated the level of preparation needed to get a lovely smooth finish. Think I need to invest in some micromesh and polishing cloths, oh and one of those nice Tamiya stands too.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest snipersmudge

well I finished the model on tuesday, the glass and internal parts where first fixed with araldite then the body was carefully flexed over the rolling chassis. Here are a couple of pics more in the completed builds gallery

DSCF0296.jpg

DSCF0293.jpg

cheers

pete