PTCruisers Build

ptcruiser

Hi Folks

I'm new around here but the group build got me intersted! Here's what I intend to complete. I've had the kit knocking around for some time:

0907300010.jpg

and the intention is to produce this classic:

0907250047.jpg

First issue will be replacement wheels!

Hope to catch up with some of you at Donington on Sunday

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser

Ok so what do we get?

Main body has a serious mould line that will need sorting

0907310015.jpg

And hiding in amongst the sprues were these little beauties, no need to scratch build them now! No mention anywhere on the box they were included.

plates.jpg

I saw NUB 120 at the Silverstsone Classic in July but had not seen this GB at that point. So in order to get the reference I took a quick trip to the Jaguar And Daimler Heritage Trust at the Browns Lans, Coventry site. And there she sits in all her splendor! The staff are very helpful and my thanks for them to total access (just not allowed to sit inside). Many other classic and famous Jags to be seen, well worth the trip. Anyway, a taster of things to do/to come:

Dashboard:

dashBefore.jpg

The Bonnet is going to prove interesting with those louvres, but I have a plan! :book:

Hoodbefore.jpg

some general shots of things to do!

0908040061.jpg

0908040144.jpg

0908040042.jpg

0908040044.jpg

0908040077.jpg

Rich

Gods what a gem :worthy: , ime watching this one, what a beauty. All the best with that bonnet, it would send me a bit loopy i think. :hypnotised:

Grufers :drink:

Edited by grufsnik

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've actually made a start now.

First thing on the instruction sheet was the engine block, so this is what I'm starting with, and I didn't like the moulded in starter motor or oil filter. The coil has to move anyway and the dizzy is pants!

0908280003.jpg

Off they came, after first filling in with Sqadron white putty. I've lost one of the block plugs but theat will be added back once I'm happy witht the rest of the filling & sanding. I've managed to keep the Jaguar logo on the block which will be highlighted later.

0908280004.jpg

0908280013.jpg

Whilst the putty was out I filled in the chassis rail which will be visible with the bonnet open.

0908280005.jpg

And a couple of sink marks on the diff.

0908280010.jpg

Also had a first pass at the main body mould line, which showed up some sink marks at the front end, filled and sanded back.

0908280008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

A bit of an update.

Insides of the main interior body pannels cleaned up and superfluous mouldings removed. I've taken out the door panels as on the real one they were too. Carved off the door pull cord that will be replaced later and open up the attachment hole too. In the engine bay the diagonal bars should actually attached the radiator and the 'pot' on the nearside is a duplicate of the offside, in case you wanted a lhd version. Also added in a couple of extra locating pieces for the new bulkhead (see below)

bodysides.jpg

Moving on to the engine, a bit of before and after. Carved off the starter, oil filter, coil and dizzy and replaced those with ones turned up from sprue. Ignition leadds from stripped telephone wire, using the outer casing as boot covers. Also picked out the Jaguar logo on the casing. Colours used a combination of Alclad, Humbrol metalcoat and enamel and Tamiya paint stick. A bit of a compromise with the air filters as there isn't enough room between the carbs and the body pannel to fit deeper ones, but these should give the right impression. I've truncated the exhaust headers ready for the twin pipes that run the full length of the car as opposed to the 2 into 1 provided in the kit.

engine.jpg

An idea of other engine bay mods. The bulkhead is not wrong for most types, but is for NUB 120. This may be down to this car being an early aluminium body as opposed to later steel bodied ones? Still needs a bit of tidying up, but basically removed the angled area where the bonnet mounts are. The lower bulkhead in the kit parts feature the cabin heater matrix (not used) fuse box (hidden beneath another cover) and I don't know what the device on the off side is supposed to be, but it's not on NUB, so all in all it was easier to replace the kit part and start from scratch

mainbody.jpg

Next stage is to figure out the wheels so that I can get the suspension right, before I can fix the interior and the engine.....I hope you enjoy

Rich

Edited by ptcruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's the Jag's dash.

Top was where it started, middle is where it needed to go, bottom where it's at.

dashafter.jpg

The timing clocks were made from aluminium tube with sprue cores to pack it out. The dials were re-drawn and scaled down and printed on clear decal sheet. The printing is too fine, but be assured they're as close to the real thing as you can get! Just one other note, the kit decal placement guide is for a LHD version...

Not happy with the dial below the dash, should have printed another off whilst I was at it. Will get another before it's fitted.

The red swith to the right hand of the dash is for a modern manual radiator fan. Apparently even in the time of eventing the car overheated, hence the bonnets louvres - the next installment....

Enjoy

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics for the Jag. A bit of frustration with the bonnet,

1st pic was version 1,

0910060004.jpg

copied the original with two layers of 6mm Tamiya tape onto tin foil (the type you get from takeaway trays). Used the original to form the shape, cut small darts into the compound curves around the nose, filled the ridges with Liquid Filler and then tried to cut the louvres in. Pants.

2nd is version 2 where I cut the louvres before forming the shape. Better, but need to be neater with the louvres...

0910140007.jpg

3rd still to be done, but learning all the way! However, good news as the wheels arrived today, so everything else can now move forward! The kit wheel sits in the middle for comparison

0910140006.jpg

Rich

Interesting idea for the bonnet Rich, looking forward to seeing attempt 3! Hope it works out OK as I have an Airfix Stratos that I've ruined by trying to 'modify' the bonnet louvres!! I'll happily steal your idea if it works like it should! How are you actually cutting the louvres?

Looking forward to seeing those wheels when they're together too!

Keep going!

Keef

• 2 weeks later...