AnonymousDFB1

A-10A

354th TFW 353rd TFS

Myrtle Beach AFB

78-715 Deployed to

Saudi Arabia for

Op Desert Desert Shield/Storm

1990/91

With the outbreak of the Kuwait crisis in August 1990, Myrtle Beach AFB deployed the 353 and 355 TFS on August 15, 1990 to King Fahd International Airport, near Dammam, Saudi Arabia. At the time of the deployment, King Fhad was under construction. At King Fahd, the The 354 TFW (Provisional) was formed. The 354 TFW was one of the first USAF units deployed to the Persian Gulf for Operation Desert Shield.

During Operation Desert Storm, aircraft assigned to the 354th initially flew against early-warning radar and Scud missile sites, as well as search-and-rescue missions of downed coalition pilots. When the ground attack began in late February 1991, the 354th performed its ground support mission, inflicting heavy damage to Iraqi armor and artillery emplacements, as well as cutting off enemy supply lines.

The 354th returned home from the Gulf on March 25, 1991

One of 354th A-10s

1511715.jpg

So I'm going to be brave or is that stupid to use this:

DSCF2571.jpg

Edited by Mish

Nice one Mish

do like these birds.

Can someone tell me what the Academy 1/72 kit is like please?

got one for my daughter cos she wanted something with lots of rockets and bombs. What else to choose but an A-10 :lol:

"Does it blow up tanks?"

"Is what it likes to do best!"

"Cooool!"

:D

Nice one Mish

do like these birds.

Can someone tell me what the Academy 1/72 kit is like please?

got one for my daughter cos she wanted something with lots of rockets and bombs. What else to choose but an A-10 :lol:

"Does it blow up tanks?"

"Is what it likes to do best!"

"Cooool!"

:D

Funnily enough after watching transformers, my youngest was desperate for an A-10, and so we got the Academy one, which he assembled and painted pretty much all on his own. nice mouldings, but very innacurate/basic in some places. i would find it hard to describe this kit as an accurate 1/72 A-10, but it lit up Nic's weekend, and guess what- I only pointed out the good bits :closedeyes:

Thanks mentalguru

not sure what decals are in the box but if they appropriate might see if Hazel can get it built while visiting in a couple of weeks

Doubt if i could spot the innacuraccies so am sure the princess won't mind! :D

must get a good 1/72 A-10 kit some time

Always loved the A-10... the one I have stashed is the 1/72 Italeri OA-10A, no idea how that measures up, but it's looks good in the box.

Hope there's lots of room for nose weight in that one!

Looking forward to this one Mish, One thing about this kit is though, is that it has the most accurate intakes of all!

Concerning the 1/72 Italeri A-10, its the best kit in that scale.

Chris

SLIGHTLY off topic i know, but can someone who has any 48th a-10s , but probably the tamiya one tell me what decal options are in the kit?..ive got an old one i got in a job lot of built kits and was just wondering which one i had, and the markings are probably the best way of ID'ing the kit

TIA

steve

Steve on the Tamiya you have five options, they are:

1. 23rd TFW, 76th TFS, Englad AFB Louisiana Tail code EL

2. 354th TFW, 355th TFS Myrtle beach AFB South Carolina Tail code MB

3. 354th TFW, 356th TFS Myrtle beach AFB South Carolina Tail code MB

4. 354th TFW, 353th TFS Myrtle beach AFB South Carolina Tail code MB

5. 81st TFW, 511th TFS RAF Bentwaters Tail code WR?

HTH

This mornings progress.

A little more weight for the nose.

DSCF2594.jpg

Everything is coming together

DSCF2595.jpg

These's monsters and the tail assembly are the reason for so much nose weight, the engine assembly is very heavy.

DSCF2596.jpg

Test fitted the wings to assess the nose weight, I have enough!

DSCF2597.jpg

Everything so far on this lit is typical Tamiya, only the raised and thin panel lines let it down. I've very pleased with the quality so far.

Thanks Paul, contrary to what I have read and been told about this kit, it's going together great.

This afternoon's progress:

Cockpit in,

DSCF2598.jpg

Nose wheel bay in, needed a little CA to fill a small gap,

DSCF2599.jpg

Tail finished, wings on and fuselage rescribed,

DSCF2600.jpg

Now where am I gonna put this when it's finished?

More later

Edited by Mish