Chipping Warden

Ratch

I bet there wood be some diorama builders eager for shots of that concrete hut with a ruler up next to it!

It is interesting the sort of stuff that s still out there if you now what you are looking for.

cheers

Grant

I saw a hanger from the A361 on the Daventry side of the village, dove down a little lane, straight onto the perimeter track :speak_cool:

Most of it seems quite accessible still, and there are many access points through farm gates :winkgrin:

Flying commenced here in 1941- Wellingtons of 12 OTU and some took part in the 1000 bomber raids - it closed in 1946. Nice to see that the buildings still survive. I "collect" pictures of old bases - do you have anymore please?? Where I live - East Anglia - has lots of old airfields where you can still see the buildings and drive by the dispersal pans - very evocotive!

David

Flying commenced here in 1941- Wellingtons of 12 OTU and some took part in the 1000 bomber raids - it closed in 1946. Nice to see that the buildings still survive. I "collect" pictures of old bases - do you have anymore please?? Where I live - East Anglia - has lots of old airfields where you can still see the buildings and drive by the dispersal pans - very evocotive!

David

I took quite a few today (Hinton-In-The-Hedges & Chipping Warden) but didn't load them all into my Picturetrail account as I thought no-one would be interested :shithappens:

Spike

Who in their right mind would want to "Buy" a home in Bishops Court. I went there twice and was glad to get back to Aldergrove and civilization!

Cheers

Jeff

I love to see these old buildings and as Miduppergunner says - very evocative.

I have lived not far from Farnborough airfield most of my life and a great deal has gone now its such a shame.

I was sad to see recently that the original main gatehouse has gone along with the wonderful wrought iron gates that had some fancy scroll work and the letters RAE built in. Still I guess the refurbishment of the old wind tunnel and re erection of one of the balloon sheds is a step in the right direction.

Spike

Who in their right mind would want to "Buy" a home in Bishops Court. I went there twice and was glad to get back to Aldergrove and civilization!

Cheers

Jeff

Believe it or not,Jeff,they are all sold!Some people live there permanently (done some jobs there when working for Sky) and even the old Married Quarters across the main road is now mostly sold off.Although it's a right sh*t pit of a estate!!Looks like one of the worst kept council estates you could think of,The old NAAFI shop's closed & a lot of the old buildings around the Q's are derilict.

Some of the larger buildings on the old camp are now like a Industrial Estate.

I'll grab som foto's next time I'm down Ballykinlar way.

Merv

I love to see these old buildings and as Miduppergunner says - very evocative.

I have lived not far from Farnborough airfield most of my life and a great deal has gone now its such a shame.

I was sad to see recently that the original main gatehouse has gone along with the wonderful wrought iron gates that had some fancy scroll work and the letters RAE built in. Still I guess the refurbishment of the old wind tunnel and re erection of one of the balloon sheds is a step in the right direction.

West Malling sadly has disappeared under a housing estate - but the last I saw the Tower was still there, with some of the buildings. Someone I worked with some years ago had to land his Stirling there after being shot up - spent the night on the Officers Mess - and then some 50 years or so later had to go to a meeting with the Malling Council - it was held in the same room he occupied!! He said it felt very strange and he just could not concentrate!

Evening SpikeI 'll grab som foto's next time I'm down Ballykinlar way.

Merv

Ballykinlar , Now there's a place I could tell some stories about! I would be obliged about the photo's of BC

Cheers

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Since you guys are in the UK. IIRC, the movie "12:00 High was filmed on location. Is the location where it was filmed, as to the base still as it was or has it succumbed to a housing developement?.

Since you guys are in the UK. IIRC, the movie "12:00 High was filmed on location. Is the location where it was filmed, as to the base still as it was or has it succumbed to a housing developement?.

I am given to understand that the location was Barford St John in Oxfordshire - the airfield closed in 1946 but there were rumours that it became a 'secret place'. I am not sure what it is today but try some of the sites on the web for WWII airfields.