RAF Croughton

Ratch

Yup, Northaptonshire.

I remember driving past the base last year and seeing the F-105 and F-100 and not knowing what the place was called.

I wonder why those aircraft are on the gate when neither were based there?

Edited by J35 Draken

Yup, Northaptonshire.

I remember driving past the base last year and seeing the F-105 and F-100 and not knowing what the place was called.

I wonder why those aircraft are on the gate when neither were based there?

I believe that it was an administration base for USAFE back in the heyday.

Croughton is in Northamptonshire, about 2 1/2 miles from Brackley (which is what it was originally called) :winkgrin:

It was constructed in 1941 by George Wimpey & Co. Ltd. as a satellite for No 16 OTU operating from Upper Heyford. Both the aircraft came from Heyford - hence the link. It is now a USAF comms centre :smartass:

There are a couple of web sites - nd it is in Northamptonshire - which according to some is in Anglia - but it depends where you live.... raf-upperheyford.org/RAF_Croughton I think may help - and it is now a major US communications base

We must've been typing at the same time :analintruder:

Croughton is in Northamptonshire, about 2 1/2 miles from Brackley (which is what it was originally called) :winkgrin:

It was constructed in 1941 by George Wimpey & Co. Ltd. as a satellite for No 16 OTU operating from Upper Heyford. Both the aircraft came from Heyford - hence the link. It is now a USAF comms centre :smartass:

We must've been typing at the same time :analintruder:

Great minds .........

I was lead to believe some while ago that the then Base Commander was an ex Thud/Hun Jockey and he particulary did not want to see the Thud chopped up, so he took it to Croughton !! :analintruder:

RAF Croughton was always a Comm hub for USAFE and was RAF Upper Heyford's satelite base for comm relay. The F-100 was flown by the 20 TFW before the F-111 when the 20 TFW was flying out of RAF Wethersford. That is the link to the 20 TFW and RAF Upper Heyford, it used to be the base guard at Heyford until the drawdown in 1993. The F-105 is another story and to my understanding it was ordered in the 1980's for Airfield Battle Damage Repair (ABDR) when the old Super Mystere's were worn out from this kind of training. It somehow became more economical to mount than scrap. RAF Croughton is in Oxfordshire ??? right on the border to Northamptonshire. The borderline is just beyond the brough of the hill traveling north on the old A43.

In 1978 as an 18 yr old Airman I lived in the little Hamlett of Juniper Hill within site of RAF Croughton. Just across the road from the cottage I rented for 60 quid was a The Fox pub, a freehouse and it was 17 steps from my front door to the pub's door. :analintruder: I spent many an afternoon and evening drinking Hook Norton Ale and chucking darts. :hypnotised: I lived on RAF Croughton from 1991-1993 before returning to the states.

JTY

RAF Croughton is in Oxfordshire ??? right on the border to Northamptonshire. The borderline is just beyond the brough of the hill traveling north on the old A43.

Wikipedia's got Croughton as being in Northamptonshire, and I thought Northants was in Anglia 'cos it's covered in the Anglia News!

The F-100 was flown by the 20 TFW before the F-111 when the 20 TFW was flying out of RAF Wethersford.

That will be Weathersfield - in Essex John.

Crougthon is shown as located in Northamptonshire in all the Google searches - but hey, Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire, what the heck ;)

That will be Weathersfield - in Essex John.

Crougthon is shown as located in Northamptonshire in all the Google searches - but hey, Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire, what the heck ;)

I was at RAF Wethersfield for NCO Leadership school in 1983, it was inactive as a flying base at that time. It was a comatose place during the weekdays, but on Friday & Saturday the place would come alive at the NCO Mess, I did not know where all the women would come from but the club would be jumping. I was there for a month and went to a few pubs in Braintree a couple of times, I remember having some really good fish n' chips at this one pub. England was a damn good assignment during the 70's & 80's, many bases and relatively inexpensive, I'd give my left *** to relive those times. :speak_cool:

Did you ever visit Finchingfield John? 2 miles from Weathersfield.

Braintree :sick: (Qualified to say that, I lived there for 3 years until a few years ago)

I was there once during the month I was at RAF Wethersfield, nice little East Anglian town, also went over to Martlesham Heath, there was a USAF Comm unit there at the time.

JTY