Welcome to the Gulf War GB

Bazza

Having never done a GB before I would like to get in on the action

I've thought long and hard about what to do, and with a rare opportunity on ebay I have come to a conclusion.

Nope not a Nimrod (Shock and Horror) but some thing similar, well to my version anyhow.

A Boeing RC-135V Rivet Joint

Thanks to the Desert Storm from a modeller's view I will be building my 1/72 AMT RC-135V kit as either

63-9792, 64-14845 or 64-14846 of the 55th RW. Not sure which yet.

Hope that's OK,

Regards Matt

Hi All,

I would like to jump in if I may with 1 or 2. I'm sure I could get at least one done for this group build!

Anyway, here are my proposals

1:- F-4E, 3rd TFW. Yes an E!. 12 Echoes deployed to Turkey from Clark AB in the Phillipines to fly a few missions before the end of DS. I have an Aeromaster sheet covering a couple of E's, might even use the ROKAF release of Hase's Phantom, as this one has the ARNIE antennae.

2:- F-15E, 4th FW, from OIF. One of the options on the new Academy release, maybe a Lakenheath Bird.

3:- F-16C. Really not sure on the particular version, but more than likely a CG or CJ. Will be Tamiya. (Might do both if things go well!)

4:- F-14. I'm sure I can find a Bombcat to choose from!

5:- F/A-18C/D/E/F. Probably not all 4!, but at least one Hornet must be done, got to have something to hang those JSOWs from.

They will all be in 1/48, anything larger will be announced if I'm feeling particularly saucy / bonkers!

What do you think, grey and pointy but with some colour and some interesting bombs planned!

Joel

Thanks Walrus,

The Photo and Weasel Phantoms were in from the start, the phighter Phantoms were quite late additions, coming in towards the end of Febuary. They flew a few missions with Weasels and would have flown with PAVE TACK had DS gone on longer. I think with the success of the F-15s, F-117s and the latest and greatest, the Pentagon overlooked the fantastic job that Phantoms, Corsairs and Intruders carried out in DS.

Looking forward to this!

Joel

Sorry i have not been around much been really busy. I am around to keep a eye on things but now i have my time to my self i be able to get on with my diorama.

Sorry guys..

Don't sweat it real life happens, I've still go to get round to posting a WIP thread.

Hi Mark

B-52G's were deployed for Desert Storm

806th Bombardment Wing (Provisional) RAF Fairford

57-6498 (416th BW) "Ace in the Hole" 11 missions

58-0168 (379th BW) 2 missions

58-0182 (379th BW) "What's up Doc?" 5 missions

58-0204 (379th BW) "Special Delivery" 6 missions

Bomb Mission Markings for this wing were painted in red

806th BW(P) were operational for one month leaving Fairford on 9th March 1991

B-52G's carried 9 GP M117 bombs on each of it's underwing stores + 27 in the bomb bay.

HTH at least it narrows down the sub type for any mods needed.

if you want info on any of the other units please let me know :)

i think the B-52 idea is over, the revell kit is for a B-52D and the gulf war B-52's were G's there are so many differences between them, the tail is completley different shape, the nose is very different an d there are updates lumps and bumps every where. i will save this for a vietnam build in the future, my skill is not that good to do all the changes it needs, it would be easier for someone just to buy a B-52G kit, i think Italieri kit, so i will withdraw the B-52 from the build, but thanks for all the info

mark

Hi all,

Haven't taken part in a BM GB, and would like to be part of this one if possible? I would like to jump in with a Tornado GR.1 although i may not be able to start it for a couple of months yet... Would this be ok?

Matt

Hmmm, not got any specific for this GB in the stash, but given the amount of time available, I'm sure I'll be able to find something for it, perhaps an Op Telic Harrier, or maybe a Nimrod. Decisions decisions :hmmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Revell 1\350 USS New Jersey kit thru the post today (£7.75 - thanks Ebay...!) and have the Eduard etch update set for it - so I'll be digging in sometime at the weekend, and will have to look up the differences between the Jersey and the Mighty Mo'. Will post some pics of the raw plastic in a couple of days or so.

Slight deviation from original intentions, I'll depict a couple of Buccaneers exercising the wits of the upper deck Air Defence crews in the diorama. Yes, I suppose I could have bought the Tamiya kit.

...but let's face it, not for less than a tenner....

No not the Matchbox/Revell its the Anigrand 144 scale.

VictorTornadoes.jpg

The Tornadoes are the Revell ones - they are due to release the GR1 next month with RAF loadouts - meanwhile I'll use the ECR variant and load the weapons on later.

Tornado.jpg

Regards

David

Nice one Reg

maybe the Tonkas? Brooksy is doing same with jags ;)

that makes 5 of us doing Victors if my counting is correct

Assume it will be the Revell/Matchbox kit?

just goes to show there are plenty of crazies on BM :P:mental:

Cheers! Just cuz I'm doing the Airfaux 1/48 F3!

Actually,it's not too bad despite the filling,sanding,filling....

Anyway, welcome to the recent joinees to the group.

Merv

PS...I'm thinking Victor too....

So far it looks as if LOTS of people wanna do,Victor's,Tonka's,Challenger I's,Jaggie's(including "yours truly",with the last 2 !!).

Anyone wanna do "the Bad Guys"?? Got plenty of,1/72 Decals for 'em !!

Keep up the good work !!(only 11,1/2 Months to go....!!)

Cheers,Bazza