Sprue shots of the 1/72 Airfix Hawks ?

Laurent

hmm, got one of each of these from mr models in birmingham this morning.

they are very nice, especially the decal sheet in the hawk 120 series box.

just one thing, aspects of the parts breakdown remind me of the old airfix hawk T1 in both kits,

the undercarriage especially. i know that they are new tools, but that's what struck me.

well done airfix! :thumbsup:

Er, just in front of the tailplanes? :analintruder:

I thought the Side Mounted Unit Root FinS were the small aerofoils on the sides of the fin but I can't have been reading my references properly. :hypnotised:

So where are the (ahem) "small aerofoils on the sides of the fin", Jonathan? I'm pretty sure I saw them on the sprue shot. (& yes I know it's not finished - just wanted to confirm they're included :))

Wonder if Airfix will part exchange the 9 of the old ones I have in my stash...

So where are the (ahem) "small aerofoils on the sides of the fin", Jonathan? I'm pretty sure I saw them on the sprue shot. (& yes I know it's not finished - just wanted to confirm they're included :))

Unless I'm seeing things they're in the picture of Jonathan's WIP.

peebeep

Unless I'm seeing things they're in the picture of Jonathan's WIP.

peebeep

Nope - take a look aft of the RWR rather than ahead of the tailplane.

@Alrite: The shape of the Airfix kit is superior, particularly in the nose area. The panel lines/panel troughs debate is much aired on BM and I guess ends up as personal preference. The good thing is that the Airfix ones seem to be generally in the right place. :)

HTH.

Those slots behind the RWR are for the ILS antenna!

As Jonathan correctly alluded earlier, the Smurfs are the flat plates bolted to the fuselage just ahead of the tailplane.

Cheers,

Rob M.

ps, sorry to sound like a JMN!

pps. picked up 2 x Mk.12X and a T. Mk1 from Transport in Preston this afternoon - Decks cleared and off we go!

Edited by Rob M.

Laurent,

Here you go. All the Hawk 128s went yesterday at Fairford, so only pictures of the T.1. The only decals are for the Red Arrows

Hopefully someone has else has pics.

Robert

Hmm. I can see some similarities to the classic Airfix Hawk. Or is it just the way the plane is broken down that there aren't too many ways to put it on sprues?

The ILS aerials you mean? They're in the kit, I just haven't fitted them yet.

Do the Canadian Hawks have the SMURFS, I mean is it a standard feature of a 100 series Hawk?

SMURFS - dunno for some reason I read that and thought of SCMODS.

If you've ever seen the Blues Brothers you'll know what I mean (sorry if I hijacked the thread momentarily).

Anyway, I quite like the Airfix Hawks - bit dissapointed the RA version only comes with thos markings and no stores other than the smoke pod but otherwise a neat little kit - now, where's those Modeldecals??? :hmmm:

Wez

Based upon an initial look:

Leave the ILS aerials off until you've decalled the fin if building ZJ951 (as per JM's build). It will be troublesome if you don't!

For the Mk.128 (ZK010 - RAF Jet) , the Smart probes aren't included (small pitot masts either side of the nose on the RAF version only). Scratch as req'd (see www.Airliners.net or www.Targeta.com for details).

Seats need replacing (MB Mk.10LH's are the order of the day).

Don't fit a HUD in the rear cockpit (they don't have one). A HUD camera image is shown on the centre Multi-Function Display in the back.

Gunpod is not applicable to the RAF jet or ZJ951 (but could be handy for the T. Mk.1)!

The big wing tanks are representative for ZJ951 and the Indian jet.

Try surfing the web for Indian weapons options other than Sidewinder! e.g. http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/C.../Trainers/Hawk/

No centreline fuel tank is included for the RAF jet, although Model Alliance do one.

Incidentally, you should also be able to produce a Mk.67 (South Korean with slight mod to nose), Mk.102 (Dubai), Mk.103 (Omani), Mk. 108 (Malaysian), Mk.115 (CAF), Mk.120 (SAAF) Mk.127 (RAAF), or Mk.129 (Bharaini) Jet from this kit (with the aid of aftermarket decals and some card wing fences).

Thanks to Airfix for kitting my pet jet! The grin on my face is v.wide!

Please enjoy,

Rob M.

Edited by Rob M.

SMURFS - dunno for some reason I read that and thought of SCMODS.

If you've ever seen the Blues Brothers you'll know what I mean (sorry if I hijacked the thread momentarily).

Wez

SCMODS! State County Municipal Offenders Data System: Elwood Blues; Arrest Driver, IMPOUND VEHICLE!

But the light was yellow officer!

Nice looking Hawk though (Thinly veiled attempt to hide thread creep scenario..)

I picked up the Hawk 100 from the Post

Office this afternoon - could have had it yesterday if the teenager had got out of her bed to answer the door to the postman!

Box, together with compact "How To" around the sides! This new packaging is very sturdy indeed:

100_1661.jpg

100_1662.jpg

New fuselage halves:

100_1668.jpg

Wings

100_1669.jpg

Weapons:

100_1670.jpg

Full colour painting guide:

100_1664.jpg

100_1665.jpg

100_1666.jpg

Fantastic decal sheet:

100_1667.jpg

All in all an extremely impressive package for the price. Parts breakdown is similar to the 1/48th scale kit but a bit simpler. Kudos to everyone at Hornby responsible for the kit, but especially our very own Jonathan for the spectacular decal sheet!

I should also have mentioned that I ordered the kit from Airfix.com on Tuesday and they did their best to deliver on Thursday, teenager notwithstanding! Excellent service.

John

Please forgive me with this double post from ARC but doesn't the windscreen look slightly too flat and short ? It looks like it when I compare the instruction sheet profile with a picture of the real thing:

hawk128_1.jpg

Edited by Laurent

Please forgive me with this double post from ARC but doesn't the windscreen look slightly too flat and short ? It looks like it when I compare the instruction sheet profile with a picture of the real thing:

hawk128_1.jpg

It looks OK to me, although I've not got the kit to hand...

Laurent, are we talking about your own observations having the kit in hand, or interpretations taken from someone else's photos?

FWIW, the kit and the artwork was taken from BAE Systems own CAD drawings (as some posters on this thread will testify), so if BAE have got it wrong...

100_1662.jpg

Those look strangely familiar! Here's one of my T-Shirt designs for the Classic British Kits Frog Display crew, using the pictures from the old Frog instructions:

web.jpg

It's nice to see that nothing REALLY changes in this hobby! ;-)

bestest,

M.