At last

Ken

Out now !! Also the 109G-6 and a couple of Hawk thingies. Now showing on Hannant's "New Arrivals"

Ken

Which is good (I ordered one of the 109s to see what it is like), but the real question is, where is the Spit Mk.IX??? That's what I'd really like to see!

Which is good (I ordered one of the 109s to see what it is like), but the real question is, where is the Spit Mk.IX??? That's what I'd really like to see!

According to someone who is in the know - somewhere on the China Sea

Ken

But the real question is, where is the Spit Mk.IX??? That's what I'd really like to see!

Best case scenario: release being delayed while the shortcomings (prop, superfluity of radio hatches, etc) highlighted by BMers are rectified.

Worst case scenario: release indefinitely delayed owing to mass suicides in production and supply chain at humiliation of having produced kit with the flaws so ruthlessly highlighted by BMers.

Of course there may be other scenarios in between.

Nick

Best case scenario: release being delayed while the shortcomings (prop, superfluity of radio hatches, etc) highlighted by BMers are rectified.

Worst case scenario: release indefinitely delayed owing to mass suicides in production and supply chain at humiliation of having produced kit with the flaws so ruthlessly highlighted by BMers.

Of course there may be other scenarios in between.

Nick

According to the guy on the Airfix stand at RIAT today, the Spitfire IX is on it's way, via ship, but they aren't gonn be sold because they want to fix "an issue" with the kit, so here's hoping!

So THAT'S where all the samuris went! :doh:

Did someone say Spitfire XIX?

dscf2231e.jpg

looks nice but what's with the odd coloured exhaust stack?

They don't rust.

No vents on the outer wings? or nav lights?

Edited by TonyT

Same reason why there's no decals either - its not finished!

cool so are the vents missing off the wing as it is painted? or are they in the box? I have photos if they would help.

Edited by TonyT

On my next one, for sure, this was just SFTB.

Thats Ok, thanks, I have been asked to do the decals for some of the people involved with the RR one, so wanted to know what bits are and are not on it, they will only moan.

The new XIX arrived this morning direct from Airfix and first impressions are very good. It certainly looks better in the plastic than in the photos.

Things I like:-

1. The box. A proper box, strong and not end-opening - and not too big for the kit so easier to stash. Like the red too.

2. Transparent parts in a separate bag - nice one.

3. Painting schematics in colour.

4. There are probably going to be other versions judging by the parts.

5. Six part interior good enough - floor, control column, seat, forward bulkhead and instrument panel, seat support frame and headrest, rear bulkhead.

6. Fuselage is in two pieces - no awkward cowling or spine joins - separate rudder is a nice touch

7. Wings look OK and certainly much better than the VC

8. Decals. Good choices. Thin with good saturation, glossy and in register. Remains to be seen how they are when applied.

Things I'm not so sure about:-

1. The pilot figure looks like a generic hybrid. I've a feeling that the same figure might be included in the fast jets. Looks like he is wearing a bone-dome with two odd "lugs" on the back (not the ear pieces) - separate arms a nice touch though.

2. No engraved detail on the instrument panel and no decal either - just flat.

3. No colour descriptions, just Humbrol paint numbers on the key.

4. The decal sheet was rolled up with the instructions and has a crease that will no doubt translate into a split decal.

5. One piece undercart leg and fairing - but makes it easier and less fiddly - probably OK with careful painting

6. One piece canopy - no option to display it open

All in all I like the look of it very much, especially considering the price, and it is good to have a new Airfix kit of this subject and in this scale. Panel line detail looks a bit heavy but should be OK under paint. Looks as though it will present an uncomplicated enjoyable OOB build with the capacity to be dressed-up and detailed by the more demanding modellers. If this is the way things progress it is looking good for Hornby.

As a quick in box review before building I'd say 8/10. Certainly tempted to get some more of them.

The new XIX arrived this morning direct from Airfix and first impressions are very good. It certainly looks better in the plastic than in the photos.

Things I like:-

1. The box. A proper box, strong and not end-opening - and not too big for the kit so easier to stash. Like the red too.

2. Transparent parts in a separate bag - nice one.

3. Painting schematics in colour.

4. There are probably going to be other versions judging by the parts.

5. Six part interior good enough - floor, control column, seat, forward bulkhead and instrument panel, seat support frame and headrest, rear bulkhead.

6. Fuselage is in two pieces - no awkward cowling or spine joins - separate rudder is a nice touch

7. Wings look OK and certainly much better than the VC

8. Decals. Good choices. Thin with good saturation, glossy and in register. Remains to be seen how they are when applied.

Things I'm not so sure about:-

1. The pilot figure looks like a generic hybrid. I've a feeling that the same figure might be included in the fast jets. Looks like he is wearing a bone-dome with two odd "lugs" on the back (not the ear pieces) - separate arms a nice touch though.

2. No engraved detail on the instrument panel and no decal either - just flat.

3. No colour descriptions, just Humbrol paint numbers on the key.

4. The decal sheet was rolled up with the instructions and has a crease that will no doubt translate into a split decal.

5. One piece undercart leg and fairing - but makes it easier and less fiddly - probably OK with careful painting

6. One piece canopy - no option to display it open

All in all I like the look of it very much, especially considering the price, and it is good to have a new Airfix kit of this subject and in this scale. Panel line detail looks a bit heavy but should be OK under paint. Looks as though it will present an uncomplicated enjoyable OOB build with the capacity to be dressed-up and detailed by the more demanding modellers. If this is the way things progress it is looking good for Hornby.

As a quick in box review before building I'd say 8/10. Certainly tempted to get some more of them.

This is a very useful review. Are the wheel wells boxed in or left open as seen on the MkIX?

Gordon McLaughlin

Hi Gordon. Just first impressions really. I haven't cut the parts from the sprues or test-fitted them. Although the undercarriage bays in the lower wing do have a raised lip on the inside I suspect there will still be a gap.

Interestingly the kit decals are for PS888 of 81 Sqn RAF in Malaysia and the Swedish 31040 yellow '11/60'. Model Alliance MA-72133 PR Spitfires Part III also has decals for PS888 in RTAF service and the Swedish 11/60, as well as PS852 of 81 Sqn at Kai Tak in 1951 but in slightly different finish with the MSG extending down the fuselage sides. The Swedish wing insignia, although for the same aircraft, are different sizes on each decal sheet and whilst MA has the 81 Sqn roundels in "bright" colours the Airfix ones are dull!

I reckon there ought to be an instrument panel decal but it was perhaps missed in production.

Regards

Nick

Without me having seen the pilot figure 'in the flesh,' could it be that he's supposed to represent a BBMF pilot, who all seem to wear bonedomes? Just speculation on my part.