At last

Ken

Comparisons to plans aside I have always thought the "sit" of the Fujimi kit looks a bit odd but have never pinned down why. In comparison the Airfix images posted so far look much better.

I don't have much patience for millimetres here and there or tiny missing lumps and bumps but for me the overall character and "sit" are important.

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the generous offer! In fact, I pounced on those images right away and saved them, so no need to reshoot. ;-)

Still, if you could find the time, it would be nice to have a few definitive shots of the radiator housings 'in situ' which would show that 1) the radiator housing sides and bottom are slabsided where they cover the actual radiator, 2) that the curved sides portrayed by Airfix should, in fact, be straight while the fillet against the wing is curved and 3) that they are not romboid when viewed from front but with perfectly square corners.

Anyway, that's what I saw and documented while crawling underneath the Swedish AF museum PR Mk XIX a number of years back. The friendly museum staff wouldn't strip the relevant parts off, though.

Being a lazy SOB, I even wrote to the Quick Boost people (who make the corrected engine cowling), asking them to make correct radiators for the Airfix 1:48 kits. Who knows… :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Best,

Joachim

So did you get the zip file with all the cowls in??

Pavla are releasing some nice resin update/correction sets for the Airfix Mk.XIX including the camera bays!

Hmmn. Be careful as Pavla stuff tends to look god until you start looking at it closely - their twin stage Merlins for Mosquitos are complete s***e (way too short) and the Mosquito T3 is a load of bobbins too.

The other thing I'd add is it's easy to get carried away with aftermarket and then you realise you've spent X times the kit price.

Hmmn. Be careful as Pavla stuff tends to look god until you start looking at it closely - their twin stage Merlins for Mosquitos are complete s***e (way too short) and the Mosquito T3 is a load of bobbins too.

The other thing I'd add is it's easy to get carried away with aftermarket and then you realise you've spent X times the kit price.

I'm reassured that I'm not the only one who felt conned by the Pavla Mosquito T.3 conversion. I chucked the bits into a box and forgot about them but my recollection is that several parts were inferior copies of the kit ones. Repeat after me: "Spending money on aftermarket parts does not necessarily ensure a better model."

Nick

Bits of the T3 were okay - the instrument panel, the floor section and the blanks for the armament - but the rest were a crock of turds. All this about the instructor having a sliding seat is cack too. The seat didn't slide back, the pan slid down similar to a cinema seat. There's an excellent photo in Ian Thirsk's De Havilland Mosquito: An Illustrated History Vol 2. The bits are nicely cast, but still wrong - loved the radio, mind.

Having seen the price of the Pavla Spitfire bits on ebay - ÂŁ8 for a cockpit? ÂŁ5 for the cameras? - they can hadaway and man-vegetables! It'd be cheaper to buy a CMK Spitfire and the prices Hannants are charging now are enough to make the wallet weep.

Bits of the T3 were okay - the instrument panel, the floor section and the blanks for the armament - but the rest were a crock of turds. All this about the instructor having a sliding seat is cack too. The seat didn't slide back, the pan slid down similar to a cinema seat. There's an excellent photo in Ian Thirsk's De Havilland Mosquito: An Illustrated History Vol 2. The bits are nicely cast, but still wrong - loved the radio, mind.

Having seen the price of the Pavla Spitfire bits on ebay - ÂŁ8 for a cockpit? ÂŁ5 for the cameras? - they can hadaway and man-vegetables! It'd be cheaper to buy a CMK Spitfire and the prices Hannants are charging now are enough to make the wallet weep.

Spied 'em on the 'Bay too.

They look very nice but you won't see the vertical cameras once they're installed and eff all of the 'pit

unless the hood's open and even then you'll see only slightly more than eff all.

Come to think of it though,I wonder how long it'll be before some wag does one with both the fuselage camera door

and cockpit door open..................................

Mark

Edited by Miggers

Spied 'em on the 'Bay too.

They look very nice but you won't see the vertical cameras once they're installed and eff all of the 'pit

unless the hood's open and even then you'll see only slightly more than eff all.

Come to think of it though,I wonder how long it'll be before some wag does one with both the fuselage camera door

and cockpit door open..................................

Mark

Ah , but there are those who want to put this aftermarket in - at least THEY know its there even if you can see eff all of it when done.

Still I've seen some masterpieces in braille scale , but spending an extra 20 quid on a 6 quid model , isn't my idea of value for money.

Never mind each to their own.

Cheers

Terry McGrady

• 3 weeks later...