Some pics from Fairford

Jimbo

Hi yet again :D

First, thank you for the nice comments about my pics - however, you DO realise that'll just encourage me to post more? ;)

Well, today's weather at RIAT was rather sh*t. I suppose that's British weather though. I heard a number of people around me saying 'Why don't they move RIAT to August?' but I wonder if we could be any more sure of good weather then.

Anyhow, just 4 pics (at the moment! Lol)

IMG_3574.jpg

A Hungarian Rafale with pretentions of being an Aussie F-111! Afraid I missed the major parts of the flame, despite seeing him do the same on the Saturday!

IMG_3608.jpg

While the Vulcan awaits take off clearance, a contemporary overflies. If only the Vulcan were still in service too.

IMG_3615.jpg

Vulcan takes to the air!

IMG_3623.jpg

This one IS orientated correctly :) Pulled this straight after take off. Even having seen them do this before it still made me think (or did I actually say it?) ****ing hell! I'm sure I wasn't the only one watching who thought 'he's not going to roll it is he?!'

IMG_3700.jpg

Cold War warriors

After the Vulcan landed it held at the end of the runway to allow the B-52 to land, then they came up the runway together. If only the rain had held off - apologies for the misty appearance (I thought it was tears in my eyes at first!)

Actually, that's 5 pics :rolleyes:

Hope you like these. Just departures day tomorrow. Hope I've dried out by then!

Jim

Edited by Jimbo

Great pictures there Jim.

I thought the Vulcan display yesterday was rather tame with gentle sweeping turns. It look like it was a bit more aggressive today.

Thanks

Robert

Great pictures there Jim.

I thought the Vulcan display yesterday was rather tame with gentle sweeping turns. It look like it was a bit more aggressive today.

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert

I undestand that the 'usual' pilot of XH558 (Martin Withers, DFC, I beleive?) was in the right hand seat for Sunday's display and the left hand seat was occupied by a chap whose name I can't remember, (despite hearing the commentator say it only a few hours ago! Must be my age!) but it was his first display as pilot. It certainly looks like he wanted to make an impression :thumbsup:

Jim

Thanks, Jim, more nice pics. The weather today was atrocious but I was there from 9:30 to after 8pm and had a good day, regardless. No photos from me I'm afraid. Had a few nice chats, one with a very new VC10 driver and another with a USMC officer on loan to 111Sqn.

The Vulcan's take off straight into what must have been a 120 degree bank made me laugh out loud. Amazing! I'm glad I was there to see it.

Wasn't the Hungarian aircraft from our Nordic neighbours?

Joseph

Awesome shots Jim, the B-52 Vulcan overflight is an absolute classic! Was there on Thursday, I'll post the shots tonight together with my slightly late Yeovilton ones ^_^

Those Vulcan+B-52 shots are great - they didn't do that on Saturday. The take-off shot with all the spray is superb too. I assume that was an intentional dump and burn by the Grippen then? He let out a huge ball of flame on Saturday but I thought it was accidental. Obviously not and a great addition to the display.

Steve.

Petra, I presume, although maybe it isn't pink enough?

It seems to have faded somewhat since last year.....! Taken at Fairford 2008.

_MG_7731.jpg

Edited by GR1

Another great collection, the only good thing about the damp weather is that fast jets produce loads of vapour clouds.

Shame the weather clear up late on sunday, we even had a sunset in the Kemfords camp site.

Shaun.