Some pics from Fairford

Jimbo

Hi all

Sat here in my hotel room I thought I'd post a few pics from the Wednesday arrivals at Fairford. I've not done much to them - I've forgotten to bring the mouse for my laptop and the touchpad drives me mad!

Weather here was rather variable, from dark clouds and rain, to bright blue skies and sun (to which my forehead and nose can testify!)

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

Well, I'm off to bed now ready for tomorrow! :sleeping:

Jim

Edited by Jimbo

Frankly you don't need to do anything to the photos - they're brill as they are and I am as jealous as anything and would give anything to be there! :analintruder:

p.s. I hope your forehead gets better

Hello Jimbo,

Thank you for sharing these very CLOSE UPS as you suffered for your art AND for US!!!

Hope the weather gets HOTTER and nicer for you so that you can enjoy the days ahead at RIAT..

HOUSTON.... :mike:

Lovely shots, especially the Swiss Hornet - beauty!! :speak_cool: And the 3D effect on the Herc tail 'art' is mighty impressive!

When I used to manage to get to RIAT, I always preferred the arrival & departure days do the actual show!

Please post more pics if you get the chance

Keef

There is no place I would rather be this weekend than at RIAT, unfortunatly a weekend of nightshifts says otherwise :angry:

Some nice pics by the way!

JB.

Beeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuutiful piccies, the artist that did the tail on that '130 must 'ave liked the Movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"....a very good likeness of the cave entrance to the resting place of the Holy Grail.

Beauties - love the Swiss Hornet shot best, and as everyone else has said the C-130 tail is mighty cool (decals anyone? Model Alliance?)

Eng

It's "The Treasury" which is the first building fascia you see when you walk through into Petra - a jawdroppingly awesome sight. And Jordan's most famous tourist attraction!

The carving which looks like an urn on top has a fair bit of damage due to the locals taking potshots at it because they believed it to be full of gold.

Petra is known as the "rose red city, half as old as time" (Useless information lesson over!).

I remember walking through a Herc at Fairford with all the pictures of Petra inside it back in the 80's!

Hi all

Thank you for the complimentary comments. I have only just got back online (1930hrs 18 July) as the router in the hotel went down!

After yesterdays wetness (ooerr!) today has been rather good - cloudy, sunshine and some bits of blue sky. I'll try and post a few pics from yesterday and today after I've been for a drink :drink:

Jim

PS Thank you Max, my forehead isn't too bad now. I'm one of those people who burn almost as soon as the sun comes out. I felt a bit silly today putting on suncream when the sun came out for a few mins - by the time it was on the sun had gone again! Got some odd looks, lol!

Hi all

Thank you for the complimentary comments. I have only just got back online (1930hrs 18 July) as the router in the hotel went down!

After yesterdays wetness (ooerr!) today has been rather good - cloudy, sunshine and some bits of blue sky. I'll try and post a few pics from yesterday and today after I've been for a drink :drink:

Jim

PS Thank you Max, my forehead isn't too bad now. I'm one of those people who burn almost as soon as the sun comes out. I felt a bit silly today putting on suncream when the sun came out for a few mins - by the time it was on the sun had gone again! Got some odd looks, lol!

I've just got back too. Was wearing my fleece most of the day and didn't feel the need for sunblock... mistake! my head now looks like a raspberry and is rather sore.

I've just got back too. Was wearing my fleece most of the day and didn't feel the need for sunblock... mistake! my head now looks like a raspberry and is rather sore.

You have my sympathy Jase. It's easy to get caught out isn't it? (he said glowingly :rant: I'm not angry - he just approximates to my colour :unsure: )

Here's a few more pics - first 3 from yesterday, the Dutch F-16 Lion scheme from today.

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

It arrived! :yahoo::thumbsup:

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

Hope you like them.

Jimbo the Red

:winkgrin:

Thank you Keef

These were taken on my Canon EOS50D and 100-400 lens. Actually, I've noticed a large number were taken at around the 300mm mark - hmmm, Canon do that nice 300 2.8 . . . . Lol!

It's the first airshow I've been to in something approaching 10 years. Used to be a regular - IAT (Greenham then Fairford), Mildenhall, Yeovilton etc - but I seemed to lose interest. Still loved aircraft and aviation, but couldn't get the enthusiasm to actually go and queue . . .

Then after a rather sh*tty start to the year (January made redundant, February Mum passed away) I saw the RIAT advertised and I thought, 'I'm going all 6 days'. How things have changed! Where are all the F-104's! Lol!

Today had quite a poignant moment for me - not only was the Vulcan there, but the commentary for it's display was done by Sean Maffett - to me, the voice of airshows, particularly ( R )IAT. It kind of brought back memories of the airshows my Dad had taken me to when I was little :crying:

It was wonderful to see a Vulcan flying again. Now all I need is a major win on the lottery to make sure it continues . . . :D

Jim

Edited by Jimbo

Hi again!

Just one more from today - a close up of that amazing tail on the C-130. It does seem to be a photo - zooming in I can see the seperate parts! Imagine taking that into Boots and asking for two copies, each Hercules fin size!

IMG_2468.jpg

Off for a lay down now - another early start tomorrow :sleeping:

Jim

Thanks Jimbo, I thought they looked like Canon pics! Seriously, my son has a Canon, I have a Nikon, & I always prefer the results he gets! Should have stuck with Canon as I always used to have their film cameras! Oh well, live & learn!!

Enjoy the next couple of days, hope the weather holds!

Keef

Lovely pictures. I took loads with my little Fuji. First time I've used it at an airshow and I now know that it doesn't zoom enough to take pics of aircraft in-flight. The static ones came out okay, but I won't post them as there's nothing you haven't all seen before.

Fantastic photos from what looks like a superb show. Many thanks also from me for uploading your pics and you've inspired me to get a 50D, as I'm currently borrowing a D30 and I'm looking to upgrade to some thing a little better. I use a Sigma 80-400mm lens and I'm at the beginners level with it!

Nice to see that unusual shot of the undercarriage retracting into that F16 - very clever mechanism.

from

Martin

Hi all

Sat here in my hotel room I thought I'd post a few pics from the Wednesday arrivals at Fairford. I've not done much to them - I've forgotten to bring the mouse for my laptop and the touchpad drives me mad!

Weather here was rather variable, from dark clouds and rain, to bright blue skies and sun (to which my forehead and nose can testify!)

_photos/IMG_1335.jpg[/img]

Well, I'm off to bed now ready for tomorrow! :sleeping:

Jim

Nice shots thanks.