Quick SAS uniform query...

CornishRebel

Hi, Guys,

Im doing a little diorama with Italeri's 1/35th Commando Jeep and Dragon's 1/35th 2nd SAS Regiment figures.

They are wearing Dennison Smocks over BD trousers....Dragon has them wearing standard Para-type 'Red Berets', but i thought the SAS wore their sandy-coloured ones from the outset.

Which is right, Dragon or Me?

Hope you can help.

Phil

The Red Beret became the official headwear for a while, the Sand Beret was still worn unofficially, there are photo's showing both types being worn within the same unit, especially in the field.

Phil

Hi, Guys,

Im doing a little diorama with Italeri's 1/35th Commando Jeep and Dragon's 1/35th 2nd SAS Regiment figures.

They are wearing Dennison Smocks over BD trousers....Dragon has them wearing standard Para-type 'Red Berets', but i thought the SAS wore their sandy-coloured ones from the outset.

Which is right, Dragon or Me?

Hope you can help.

Phil

• 7 years later...

no the sand colouered beret was not worn that early it appeared in the regiment rebirth in 1952 around 1942 they adopted the paras red beret until late 44 from then till disbandment a very rare off white grey one was adopted

• 5 weeks later...

I poured over photo's of SAS jeeps for some recent builds and to be honest can't recall sand beret's been worn in the field,there

are some excellent photo's taken in Italy in 1943 showing dark(I assume red) beret's being worn all the post D-day photo's

I,ve seen show dark beret's,but as has been mentioned all sorts of headgear seemed the norm the cap comforter being a

favourite.I would go with red.