Jump to content


FM Y-wing

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Smiffy


    Scruffy looking Nerf herder

  • Gold Member
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

Looking for something I could knock together quickly (and inspired by a couple of recent builds), I pulled one of my Finemoulds Y-wings out of the stash last week.
I started with the pit and decided to use my triliance 2 seater cockpit conversion, which is really easy to use. Just remove the rear deck, clean up the edges and the new pit dropped right in.
On the lower half of the nose section, you have to cut down the nose gear bay and that's it..........simples. ;)

A before and after type pic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next, I started on the main body. You have upper and lower halves and then add the detailed side pieces. The design here is really good, as most of the seams are hidden behind all the detailed gubbins around the edges. B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

More detail bits and engine nozzles added.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Saturn V engines complete and I've started to modify the canopy here (adding a second opening section).

Posted Image

Got a little bit of cleaning up to do, but hopefully should be able to begin painting this weekend.
I think I'm gonna go for a variation on the so called "Red Jammer".

Posted Image

Ohh, and I also pulled out a set Studio Starforge figures. I think I'm gonna have this guy as the pilot.

Posted Image

#2 Obi-Jiff Kenobi

Obi-Jiff Kenobi

    Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

  • Members
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

Ooh, sweet. I'll be watching with interest.

#3 Jim Kiker

Jim Kiker

    Established Member

  • Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi Smiffy,

Nice work you have going there. As an FYI a friend of mine did his Y-wing with the two seat cockpit as well, and installed standard pilots. In his case, the pilots interfered with the clear canopy part that fits into the outer canopy shell (some builders perfer the no-glass look- not I, but some). His remedy was to dremel out openings for the pilot's heads in the top of the clear piece; it worked like a charm and you cannot see that little mod when the model is complete.

Hope this helps, Jim

#4 Tango 1

Tango 1

    Very Obsessed Member

  • Members
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:50 PM

Looking real nice, looking forward to more. :thumbsup2: