• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Paul Brickles

Paul Brickles

Established Member

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

I've got it, and i think its great! So what if its not a simulator, thats what PC's are for! It also scored 9/10 in the Official Playstation Magazine.

Adam

Cheers Adam - might just have to invest in it :speak_cool:

Yeh see what your saying about sims on PS3 -just imagine the amount of key combo's - am currently trying to master Falcon 4.0 on the PC and that takes some key combo's!!!

Paul

#22 Pielstick

Pielstick

Engineers do it without looking at the manual!

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

If you're serious about flight sims it's always worth investing in a decent flight stick and throttle. The Saitek X52 is pretty good, the X52 Pro is even better (more expensive too) and you can assign a mind-boggling number of commands or key-strokes to the plethora of buttons and switches on these sticks, so you don't have to take your hands off the controls when you're being shot at - just like the real thing! I remember reading a real F-16 pilot once saying guys who fly aircraft with HOTAS controls soon develop the manual dexterity of a piccolo player :)

#23 Jazzy Jase

Jazzy Jase

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

I bought it for Xbox version after playing the PS3 demo version and noticing screen-tear that wasn't present on the Xbox demo.

I agree that it isn't as simulator as I would like and it has been dumbed-down for the consoles, but I don't have a decent PC and it's the closest thing to a console flight sim!

I've been frequenting the official forum for the game and the devs are hoping to patch-in the German cockpits.

#24 Paul Brickles

Paul Brickles

Established Member

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

If you're serious about flight sims it's always worth investing in a decent flight stick and throttle. The Saitek X52 is pretty good, the X52 Pro is even better (more expensive too) and you can assign a mind-boggling number of commands or key-strokes to the plethora of buttons and switches on these sticks, so you don't have to take your hands off the controls when you're being shot at - just like the real thing! I remember reading a real F-16 pilot once saying guys who fly aircraft with HOTAS controls soon develop the manual dexterity of a piccolo player :)

Got the X52 pro and yes not only do you have a plethora of buttons on the keyboard you have more on the stick lol - my fav button at the moment is key 'p' for pause!!!!

Paul

#25 Pielstick

Pielstick

Engineers do it without looking at the manual!

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:08 AM

Hehehehe yeah Falcon 4 is a bit of a beast. What version are you playing? I had a pretty good Korea 2005 campaign from Free Falcon 5 going on. I think I was at day 3 of the campaign, flying the F-16CJ mostly on SEAD and fighter sweep missions. Allied forces had just about managed to knock out most of the high altitude SAM sites around Pyongyang and clear the skies of DPRK fighters. I was just starting to see the heavy stuff like B-52s and B-1Bs (even a B-2 I think) starting to head north... then my laptop died and I never got the chance to save the campaigh files. Quite a shame really as I had 12 kills! I was having a lot of fun baiting SA-2 and SA-3 sites, and then dodging the flying telephone poles, before loosing off a HARM (or maybe tossing some CBUs at the site if I was feeling lucky) before flying a fighter sweep on the way home, taking out any DPRK aircraft I could find.

On one mission on the way home I came across a number of DPRK A-5s so I thought "Hmmm, easy meat!" and off I went.... The A-5s managed to fly low enough to avoid most of my AMRAAMS, so I was forced to get down low and fast, chasing them down with Sidewinders and guns :) On another mission I was flying BAI and the target was a mechanised column moving up to the front lines. My flight managed to drop a load of CBU-97s on them from medium altitude, but I made a bit of a cock up and got too low after my dive bombing... putting me right in the envelope of the MANPADs.... one of them exploded very near to me and I had to nurse my crippled F-16 back to friendly territory. The fly by wire was knackered and I didn't have a hope in hell of landing it in one piece, so I did the honourable thing and made a Martin Baker exit :)

Considering the original Falcon 4 came out way back in 1998 it just goes to show how good the basic platform was. The continued development by the community over the years has meant it is still the top dog if you want a proper modern jet fighter sim.

Back to IL-2 Birds of Prey - I had another go at the BoB mission in the demo last night and I'm still unimpressed. The "feel" of the flight model simply doesn't match that of the PC version, but maybe that's because I was flying with the Xbox gamepad. The damage modelling doesn't seem to be much cop either - I made all my attacks on the Heinkels from the 6 o'clock position, slightly above... in the PC version this would be tantamount to suicide, and you would find yourself with a faceful of bullets from the defensive gunners. A short burst of fire from the Spit resulted in all the Heinkels losing a wing and going down in the same way. This seems to be far more simplistic than the PC version where the part of the enemy aircraft you hit will determine what damage you do. I also noticed the radio calls mentioned "Heinkel Elevens!"

Bottom line is this is a typical console release - a GAME aimed at the mass market without the fidelity or attention to historical detail that the original PC version had.

It's a shame really as I had high hopes it would be the first proper flight sim on a console.

Edited by Pielstick, 14 September 2009 - 08:19 AM.