Italeri /AMT XB-70A Valkyrie

I do wish someone would do a range of -135's in 144, huge gap in the market!

Agreed - Something in my memory says Minicraft might have them slated as future releases.

Edited by Richard E

Huge gap in the market ..... Thinks, aren't 1/144 quite small ..... Stop thinking it hurts.

'V'

Anyway back to the build.. :whistle: ..The elevons were cut out individually as they all seemed to have a different setting when the aircraft was at rest., a feature that breaks up the blandness of the huge wing.

Melchie...

P1050234.jpg

Then fitted loosely into place,

P1050235.jpg

And this is where a big problem rears its head...a gap between the outer elevon and the vg wingtip!!!

P1050236.jpg

The answer was slightly wider ones cut from 5 mm sheet, ( these have yet to be shaped and narrowed to fit), the outer elevons were slightly wider to reach over the hinge line anyway,

P1050365.jpg

All the 'orrible sink lines have now been treated and rescribed, and the rear panel has been drilled out and smoothed to fit.

P1050364.jpg

And the underside of the engine bay fitted filled and blended, the under wing will follow soon,

P1050366.jpg

There are a lot of small, time consuming things to do on this kit and it often feels that you are getting nowhere fast, but it all starts coming together when you start splashing primer all over it !!

• Like 1

General Sir, mental note to stand to attention as I type this, excellent build so far dear boy,coming along spiffingly well, don't you know, can't wait to see the jolly ol' wet stuff splashed on, keep up the good work and all that jazz.

....Yep I've always liked the cub too, funny the Herc does nothing for me and yet I really like the look of this thing ...it's that Soviet quirkiness, each to his own I suppose!

Melchie

This I must see. Are you going to include all those raised rivet heads in the cargo hold???? :whistle::banghead::evil_laugh:

Ha, now then, then now, now then !!...Mike I had the foresight to grab four cans of Halfords grey last week so I think I'm set for the duration :hypnotised: Virtually every joint needs a lot of filling mostly because the surfaces aren't square, for some reason AMT moulded the edges with a slight convex, which even with careful sanding is hard to eliminate...I know excuses , excuses..just get on with it man !! :jump_fire:

Tango my man ... message reads ....''tactical mission ahead.....wet stuff to be applied within the next fortnight,..stop...... primary mission, elimination of twenty miles of joint lines and use up world reserve of grey plastic primer' .. ...stop... :hypnotised:

Are you going to include all those raised rivet heads in the cargo hold????

Good grief I thought you meant the Valkyrie for a moment ....am I missing something ....but no you're referring to the Antonov...haven't really thought about it , if it's that bad I'll close the ruddy cargo doors.. :whistle:

Keef ...good plan !

Melch

Good grief I thought you meant the Valkyrie for a moment ....am I missing something ....but no you're referring to the Antonov...haven't really thought about it , if it's that bad I'll close the ruddy cargo doors.. :whistle:

Melch

I'm reliably informed the basic structural design work for the Cub was completed by Cammell Laird, with help from Fred Dibnah!

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Pardon my abscence on parade yesterday General Sir!! 'Fraid old Edinburgh's broadband communications went down the 'ole swanny all day by Gad!! :deadhorse:

Hang the blighters I say!! :hobbyhorse:

Ah, marmalade and oysters---mmmmmhhhmmm :heart:

Tho', I must admit Sir, I personally prefer Marmite wif my oysters but, any port in a storm eh by jove!! :toilet:

To business----jolly fine job of work there, was wondering about those dang elevons as I have read in other, (much lower quality than your own of course), build reports that they have caused problems, did the split across them cos any moments of tension good Sir, or, did you in your usual heroic idiom, bring them to attention smartly? :mg:

This blokes a nutter!

But I do like him.

Really great work, also an AN-12 for £20, looks like I am walking around the next show with you!

Julien

Well blow me down , (in the biblical sense you understand, got the honour of the regiment to consider here :shocked: !),... pardon my ignorance plastic old fruit but news hadn't reached me in the trenches that Edinburgh had even received broadband, thought it was done by lots of blokes in kilts screaming at each other from the hilltops...pass it on !!! :winkgrin: .. ....my God one loses touch so easily out here in no mans land ( commonly called Lincolnshire)....!!

I can here the cry go up ...Kill the damn sasanac....(I went to Aberdeen once!). But you can be my batman any time

Yes the elevons are a royal pain as a dirty great seam line runs along the underside of each, so it's elbow grease and putty time... :hypnotised: ( again).This has taken more time up than I could have thought possible, but I seem to be winning.

Not much to post really as it's all sanding, filling , sanding , filling ...you get the idea !!

Julien.....thanks for the vote of confidence.... :whistle: !!I do tend to get a bit vocal with my purchase plan for certain kits, crushing a few boxes then screaming about the condition, etc tends to help !!......(only kidding),

Hopefully after all is smooth and the last traces of sink marks and joint lines have gone I'll splash some primer on to see just how much I missed !!!

til we meet again, :frantic:

General Quarters

Edited by general melchett

Ah General, bit behind the times there Sir! Some of 'the lads' went down south a while ago don't yer know and grabbed some southern bloke, brought him up here and 'requested' he sort things out or he'd have nothin' to put a sporran in front off har-har!! :poke::whip:

Kept screamin' somthin' about a 'Virgin' for some reason, damn bearded Sassenach!! :bangin:

As to them elevons Sir---yes , as I said, I'd heard they could be a prob, not worried about the rest but I had serious doubts about those blokes eh what??

"But you can be my batman any time"---didn't know your name was Robin good sir, I fort it was Horace or something of that ilk old boy!

Forward the Buffs!!! :hobbyhorse:

Just checked on my order---placed with Model Hobbies at 10:17 last night by 'she who must be obeyed'.

Despatched at 9:59 this morning!

Bloody 'ell!!

Got my Trumpeter 1/35 Morser Karl from them, it took a week and I thought that wasn't bad!!

Could have it tomorrow at this rate whoooooo!!

OK plastic , good man, all suited and booted for the new arrival then ?...Must try these fellas meself, bit sick of waiting two weeks for some of em, don't ya know !!

I

fort it was Horace or something of that ilk old boy!

....General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett KCB DSO if you would be so good ....Horace indeed...I hope the Scottish connection hasn't passed ye by unnoticed laddie !!

Anyhoo, here's a bit more progress, The elevons are now sorted out , but as I pointed out , cutting them all off and repositioning them takes a LOT more time than you would imagine... :hypnotised: sanding the seams and getting the correct spacing was the tough part.

The glazing has been fitted and it is a good idea at this point to spray the interior section ogf the nose under the visor matt black because if like me you have it in the raised position you can see the area just under it if viewed from above...not a pretty sight..just a tip..

P1050464.jpg

P1050463.jpg

And the cockpit area...the rear of the glazing is too wide for the opening and will leave a marked step if left. It needs to be GENTLY bent back slightly to fit, ( warm the piece up first or it will craze and most likely crack).I dipped the piece in Klear a couple of times overnight then fitted carefully using Gator glue for the front 2/3 rds and a TINY amount of Superglue for the rear to ensure that the bent pieces are glued in tightly, you don't want them springing out later!!).The Klear should stop any Superglue fumes from clouding the clear plastic ...

Melchie...

P1050461-1.jpg

P1050465-1.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Beg to report reinforcements not arrived stop-------bloody Royal Mail stop-----instigating Courts Marshall stop-----will advise stop.

Buggar :jump_fire:

Would you believe it! The fastest shop turn-around I've ever experienced and now the bl**dy Royal Mail put the knacker on it!! :deadhorse:

I should have known!

Ah well, extremely good report there General! That glass looks well dodgy, to use the colloquial!!

I was going to do mine with the glass up also as I think that makes the whole thing look REALLY fast but, as I've never seen the kit before I had no idea how that was going to work. As it's one piece and with you're warnings noted, I know what to look for now!

Excellent Sir, keep em comin' don't-yer-know! :partytime:

That's looking good Andy! Are the outer wing panels moulded in a different colour grey plastic or is it a trick of the light? I seem to recall that the original AMT one that I (briefly!) owned was moulded in white plastic. I think it would have caused snowblindness during construction.......!!!

Keef

What an excellent thread...really enjoying this one. :popcorn:

I know I'm jumping ahead a little here General sah, but I was wondering what brand of gloss white you'll be using. One of the models I've got on the go at the moment will require the upper half to be white and I'm a little concerned about yellowing over time. :hmmm:

Any ideas, sah?