Catalina PBY 5 A

Hello all :winkgrin:

Finally started the Catalina, still not sure about the scheme I want to do?

Here's a few shots of work so far;-

On opening the box the moulded mooring rope had to go :crying:

IMG_0357.gif

Completely gone and re rivited :analintruder:

IMG_0358.gif

Cockpit assembled ready for painting :whip:

IMG_0360.gif

Some ribbing will be required here :sleeping:

IMG_0364.gif

And here too :sleeping:

IMG_0363.gif

Looks like a nice moulding overall. I've got some interior pics of the flying example that does the airshow circuit if you need them. Different in that the fuselage blisters no longer have any armament, but still fairly original in most respects from what I could see :)

Looks like a nice moulding overall. I've got some interior pics of the flying example that does the airshow circuit if you need them. Different in that the fuselage blisters no longer have any armament, but still fairly original in most respects from what I could see :)

Mike

That would be greatly recieved :speak_cool:

Vince :thumbsup2:

Done some more on the old beast,

by adding some internal ribbing where it will be seen when finished

IMG_0366_edited-1.jpg

Now it's all gone black with some heavy pre shading

IMG_0368.gif

All the big bits built, thats a real big wing, it took all evening to glue together.

IMG_0369.gif

This is the scheme I wish to paint, blue grey over gull grey probably as it was the delivery scheme note fuselage roundel

under the canopy.

pic.gif

More to follow soon

Vince :winkgrin:

Edited by VEEBEE271

Hi there

Nice looking Cat', this is one of those kits I always regret not getting.

FWIW, the side walls in the cockpit above the bottom edge of the IP were painted black, along with the upper portion of the cockpit bulkhead. I hope it's not too late to mention this! Also, sicne you're adding extra detail into the waist stations, don't forget that the MG mounts had a belt/harness arrangement attached to them, presumably so the gunners wouldn't fall out!

If you have a look at the D&S book, you'll see what I mean.

I'll be following this build with interest; what markings are you doing it in?

Cheers from Aotearoa

Mike A

Vince-

I reckon you could go "long distance" with this one- bottom of the garden maybe?

I'm sure whatever scheme you choose, it will be stunning when finished- you are getting far too good at those multi camou schemes, this will be a nice big canvas for you to display your skills.

ps- "the eagle has landed.." thank you.

Nice work so far Vince... sorry for the delay in getting that disc to you... suspect I may have missed the boat there (if you'll excuse the pun). :blush:

:lol: I've just been a bit addle headed this last week, that's all... I've got a couple of Seafang discs to post out too... still haven't managed them either :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, very nice work inside the interior of the PBY. I have the reissued version of this aircraft. I'm hoping to get to it some day. In the mean time, I will be following your build and learning few good pointers that I can use on mine. ;)

Mike