scratch build yacht

Hi guys,

I have this crazy notion that I will make a scale model of my dads yacht (sounds a bit poncy but we are common really!! ) He has a 32ft sailer and I think he would appreciate a model of it.

Unfortunately there are no kits of it, not surprising really. But a good opportunity to step into the voodoo world of scratch building.

The PROBLEM: I dont have a clue about scratch building boats. does anyone know where i can find some information on how to, what stuff, where from? I want to make a pretty good job of it so all help would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks Guys.

Z

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Hi longshanks. Was just thinking about what to build next after the Mig15 and was wondering if anyone here had built a modern recreational yacht. ZooL's post was the only one I could find after searching for 'yacht'. As you can probably guess if I were to do this I would carve the (full) hull from wood and just work from there. Probably 1/48 or 1/50 scale . Not too sure how I would make the sails. I have no maritime knowledge whatsoever so would probably need some guidance on such matters. As it happens I subsequently found zool's build, which he completed and it is very inspiring . He does not seem to be active here any more. I found it by searching for 'ZooL' not 'yacht'. Would put the link here but I'm using an iPhone and don't know how to unless I'm using a computer. 

Hi Reconcilor

First of found your link and the only other yacht I can remember

ZooL's post http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32340-jeanneau-sun-odyssey-32-scratchbuilt-yacht/#comment-347701

Another 'Yacht' link http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991630-anyone-for-scratch-built-half-hulls/#comment-2163113

Yacht lines are going to be difficult to find. I do have some books with small plans of some classic ie old yachts large and small. So if it's a modern boat I think its a case of moulding by eye.

Rest assured if you were to start you would get support here in the Maritime section.

Looking forward to seeing you start whilst watching you Mig

Kev

• Like 1

Hi Longshanks,

Thanks very much for those links - I did not realise Albergman did maritime work. I don't know if you are familiar with his work but it really is outstanding (have a look at his Flying Scotsman some time).  All very inspiring stuff to be sure.

Now I might as well get specific and just post here what I've got in mind just in case anyone has any resources or information  that might be of use.  I'm not starting my own thread at this point because, and I must emphasise this, I have not decided to do this particular project yet - it's just an idea at this point and is one of several possible projects competing for priority.

Last week I bought a small book called 'Notable Boats' by Nic Compton (Ivy Press). It's just a small coffee-table book outlining the history and basic specifications of 40 boats that have been influential or 'notable' in some way. One of them has caught my eye...

In 1980, not long before his untimely demise, John Lennon chartered a yacht - the 'Megan-Jayne'  in Newport, Rhode Island and sailed, as part of a small crew, to Bermuda. The journey is said to have inspired John's last album 'Double Fantasy'.  This is the boat that I am considering scratch-building in 1/50 scale.  There are basic - very basic - drawings in the book. Just a simple plan and profile view along with some dimensions and a rather attractive colour scheme.

There are few specifications given for the boat beyond that its rig is that of a 'sloop', it has a crew of 5 and was built in 1977.  I don't know what class of yacht she is.  Here's a photo of this rather attractive vessel.

d5a636975880e64de1d0a0179ec3a4c7[1]

A simple google search reveals that the boat has subsequently been re-named 'Jubilee' and it at some point (and perhaps still is) owned by a Mr Stephen Fuller and his wife. Now I'm sure that I could find Mr Fuller and on 'Facebook' or 'Linked-in' and probably get some details that way - but doing so would I think morally compel me to commit to this project.

So if anyone on britmodeller has some readily available information to share - that would be great, but I must emphasise - please do not go to any great trouble on my behalf as this project may yet come to naught.

Best Regards,

Reconcilor

• Like 1

Hi Reconcilor

Frank here ... aka Albergman (our own sailboat was an Alberg 37)

I've been away from the site for a while and just came across your request for help scratch building a yacht.   

I think it would be a wonderful idea to build your father's yacht or "Jubilee" if you prefer and I'd be happy to lend any assistance you need.

Do you know what make of boat either one is?     Also, are you interested in a full hull or just a half?

Frank

Hello Albergman,

So nice to hear from you. I fear this may be getting confusing. It was ZooL several years ago who was thinking of building his father's yacht. I'm thinking of building the yacht that John Lennon chartered in 1980 'Megan Jayne' subsequently re-named 'jubilee'. If I were to build it it would be full-hull, fully rigged.

Aha ... sorry for the confusion!     I've just been  reading about Lennon's sailing experience on Megan Jaye ... thanks for making the connection for me.   I'd never heard of that story.   A little further reading turns up the info that it is a Hinckley  43 sloop and there are plans readily available on Google images.

A fully rigged model is a very challenging project especially if you want to replicate sails (hard to get materials that look correct in scale) and at 1/50th scale it would be less than a foot long.   A larger scale would be a bit more forgiving.    I've scratch built a few boats over the years usually in Renshape which is readily available to me fortunately!      I've also had good success with this new synthetic wood that's made for docks or decking.    It's  a composite material that is sold at building suppliers here (in Canada ).   

Let me know if you're interested in pursuing this ... sounds like a fun project!

Frank

• Like 1

Hello Frank,

A 'Hinkley 43 sloop' - that's what I needed to know! As you say, good drawings available for this class of yacht. I wouldn't mind betting that there are one or two here in Perth, so now I know what I'm looking for, this project is starting to look a bit more viable. 

I don't know if you have seen my mig 15 thread but if you are interested on pages 6 and 7 'Renshape' gets discussed a lot as does composite decking and some comments on your excellent work. I would stick a link in here for your convenience but am using an iPhone and only know how to do that when using a P.C.

Anyhow I've picked up quite a few ideas from your posts so thanks for that.

Reconcilor

Perth huh?   I have a friend here in Canada from near Perth ... lived up the Swan river a ways.

Anyway, have looked up your Mig and am really impressed ... (even though I know next to nothing about aircraft).   Lovely to see you attempting to do it all just as you would have in earlier times.    Also think you're doing a wonderful job of explaining many of your steps in a nice, helpful way that must be useful in removing some of the mysteries in scratch building.   I can see some of your readers definitely responding in a positive way and I'm thinking maybe I should add more substance to my own most recent blog if/when I get back to it or any of the half dozen others languishing in boxes for years!

Definitely look into the composite decking materials as they could be a nice stable medium for future projects.  I noticed some of the companies here in Canada offer a free sampler package as they try to promote the product.   Maybe there's something similar down under.   UPDATE ... yes there is ...  here.

I was taken aback by your kind words  over some of my work ... gulp .. thanks so much for that but really, there are other scratch builders on here who are miles ahead of me and that's not false modesty!  

Your Mig has lit a spark that's been smouldering for a while.   I've a small plank of padauk that I've always thought I'd like to shape into a nice natural finished Spitfire of Lancaster.   I've seen these aircraft advertised for sale, out of China I suppose, and some are really nice.   I've done several cars over the years in nice woods (padauk, cocobolo and mahogany) that I like to finish in varnish and add a few details.   Not everyone's cup of tea I suppose.

I'll definitely be a lurker on your MIG just to see her finished ... this foil coating you're talking about applying has me baffled!

Frank

• Like 1