608 North Riding Squadron Meteor T7

It wasn't uncommon for T7's assigned to front line units to carry the camo finish & squadron markings as their single seat brethren & I suspect the same might apply to the RAuxAF units if the time. In addition, these machines had a long life with many units & an RAuxAF unit would typically receive "hand me downs" from regular units so yes, I suspect it's highly possible. Scheme would have been Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green uppers with High Speed Silver undersides. HTH

There might have been one in a cam scheme at one point, although camouflaged T7s were quite uncommon. However, the pics I have seen show 608's meteors in painted aluminium scheme

http://www.picturestockton.co.uk/viewpage.aspx?id=4422

http://www.picturestockton.co.uk/viewpage.aspx?id=4419

Click on the pics for a bigger version

I don't know if the following is any use, but an article in Aviation News Sept 1990 by Michael Young gave WA672 and WF820, coded U as the T.7s operated by 608 Squadron. I can find no photos of either machine in my references.

Well I've checked 4 of my refs,...

1/Post War Military A/C #2 by Chaz Bowyer

2/The Gloster Meteor by Edward Shacklady

3/MDF 8 The Gloster Meteor and

4/ Meteor Glosters First Jet Fighter by Steve Bond

and not one of them list 608 as being a Meteor Sqdn let alone a T7 user?????????????????

But 608 is listed in the Meteor Warpaint book with WA671 being used?

The Warpaint Vampire book lists 608 as a Vampire Sqdn!

As per Dave's post linked to Thornaby.

So the quandry is was WA671 used to train/convert'familiarise Vampie pilots onto Meteor's? :undecided:

Adrian

Well I've checked 4 of my refs,...

4/ Meteor Glosters First Jet Fighter by Steve Bond

Check the 'Other RAF Users' section below the main squadrons listing - it lists 608 as a user, along with the other RAuxAF Vampire Squadrons that used T7s (602 for example).

• 8 years later...

Yes number 608 north riding Aux Squadron did use two Meteor T7s and both aircraft where natural all metal finish. How do I know this because I was an ATC cadet 1269 sqn and I flew in one with Wng Com Sewel who at the time was the current RAF Thornaby Officer Comander. at the time I was. 1 month short of my 15 th birthday. I car,not recall the exact day but it was December 1951 Sorry a can not remember what the aircraft number was the Co of 608 Squadron at the time was Squadron Leader Robinson . I do hope this helps. Regards Al Meadows.            Ps now living down under.

• Like 1

The service entry of the Meteor T. 7 pre-dated that of the Vampire T. 11 by some time, so many Vampire units acquired, or were issued, Meteor T. 7s for jet conversion of pilots who’d only flown piston engined aircraft previously, instrument flying (and other) checks and for a lucky few air experience flights.

• 1 year later...

Hello

A little late to be of help perhaps, but page 9 of Military Aviation Review from November 1976 has a photo of 608 Squadron Meteor T.7 WF820 taken at Malta in 1952. It's in high speed silver overall, with the unit markings each side of the fuselage roundel and carries the code letter U and the Squadron badge on the nose.

The markings each side of the roundel are interesting, as they've got the diagonal dividing stripe sloping from top left to bottom right on both sides of the roundel, as opposed to being mirror images as usually seen on their Vampires, and as in the Revell kit. There's a photo of Vampire WE849/K in camouflage with the same roundel markings to WF820 on page 11, and another shot of it featured here.

Simon